DIY passive projection w/mini Mitsubishi PK10 DLP projector

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
StereoGaming4Me
Two Eyed Hopeful

DIY passive projection w/mini Mitsubishi PK10 DLP projector

Post by StereoGaming4Me »

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

Was wondering about these mini DLP projectors, Mitsubishi has a nice LED model that can run 800 x 600, and 1024 x 768. While I always try to bump down the resolution for S3D gaming to precisely those specs for a higher framerate, I'm curious if in theory a pair of these would work for a mini-passive projection system with some polarizers, and the right $3 polarized glasses. I've done some initial research into different types of screens and the projection image isn't wall size, but with these there will never be any $400 bulb to replace and I'm only curious if the passive projection diy project can be done with LED beamers or only LCD.

What kind of polarizers would I need for these 2 LED mini projectors? (I don't need a huge wall of 3D... but maybe one day.. = )

Has anyone who has built a diy pp system found a better screen for LED beamers over LCD beamers?

Thank you kindly, have a great day!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: DIY passive projection w/mini Mitsubishi PK10 DLP projector

Post by Likay »

I'm just inflicking with a suggestion: In this scale you can try building a backprojecting "tv" instead by using passive polarization. A suitable screen for this is for example the "Da-Lite 3D-Virtual Black" backprojection film. I have a sample of this at home and it seem to do the work very nicely. It's a"rubberish" vinylbase and maybe, just maybe you can use a black balloon if you want to try using found materials.
Using this you won't have to worry about standing in the way for the beamers. The only issue should be light and the extra depth caused by the projectors throwlength.
You can use simple polarizationfilm and you can find very high quality polarizationfilm in lcd-monitors. If you're able to get your hands on a trashed one you shold be ok with both filters as for glasses.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
snarfbot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by snarfbot »

the thing is those mini projectors only produce 10 ansi lumens.

thats barely enough to fill a piece of paper honestly, even in a pitch black room.

when they get up to 100+ lumens then it might be worth it, but only if it costs less than a conventional projector.

720p projectors are coming down in price fast, just last year they were like $1k now you can pick em up for as little as 550 or so, i think you should probably wait and see if your set on passive.

also look up the microvision laser projector, if thats ever released it will probably be your best bet.

edit* it turns out that the microvision projector is also 10 lumens! for some reason i thought it was alot better.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

10 lumens? I didn't know that! o.O
Add that the polarization filters cuts it to 4.5 lumen at a max theorethical limit...
It's possible but you might need nightvision goggles.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
snarfbot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by snarfbot »

lol ya, as long as they have a decent fov!

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”