Infitec active stereoscopic system

Aldundia
One Eyed Hopeful

Infitec active stereoscopic system

Post by Aldundia »

First of all, thx for this nice board with lot of usefull info about stereoscopic devices and drivers.

We are currently working on a online stereoscopic 3D visualization project, programmed in Quest3D.

We are going to buy an active infitec 7000 lumen Barco projector (based on color filter polarization and frequency 120 hz). It?s a really high end system (about 90000 euro) and now we are planning to buy a proper system PC for the online rendering.

Most of the systems till now are Nvidia quadro based... a 3500 one can?t handle such amount of polygons, but a 4500 can do it...

We were thinking on putting a system based on a 8800 serie card, but as far as i know there are not drivers for stereoscopic (only some beta drivers).

Do you think that the new 8xxx series with proper drivers will be more suitable for that system or should we get the quadro series one?

Another fact that i?ve read on your forums is that stereoscopie and core2duo processors are not quite compatible. Is there any fact that i must know before selecting the proper PC?
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

Hi aldundia!

firs of all welcome to our board.. :) its everytime a pleasure to see such a hig-end user like you here.. :)

it sounds interesting what you said.. could you explain a bit more the project you are planing? what is a online stereoscopic 3D visulaization project?

by the way, to your questions. after nearly a year nvidia still hasn't released any working 8800 stereo drivers and has not released any multicore compatible versions of the drivers. actually nobody knows how long it will take (could be one week or one year or never) since the working drivers are out.

the only GOOD working driver wich is compatible with ALL GPU's and multicore systes is the iz3D driver. unfortunately for you it is proprietary. that means that it is sold only with the monitor. and can not be used with other hardware solutions. its the only drivers wich fully supports post processing. if you check the forum you can find some images made with the drivers.. you will see an amazing difference.

actually i don't knwo a working solution for your case. but i think that if you are going to spend 90.000 Euro on a projector you could easily find a "unoffical" working driver.

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

For high-end business use you should definitely stick with the Quadro workstation cards that support quad-buffer OpenGL S-3D. It's only the consumers/gamers that need Direct3D S-3D and suffer from NVIDIA's less-than-ideal drivers (or no drivers at all on Vista).

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”