anaglyph = bad start?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

anaglyph = bad start?

Post by Rosomack »

I tried a few games with the iz3d driver and anaglyph glasses and while I had a few "wow - this works" moments, I'm left with an impression that anaglyph is totally unsuitable for games. When I achieved the sweet spot for convergence (aligned the images for the gun) and worked the separation down it turned out that the spot with the least problems (ghosting?) was nearly 2d. I suppose it's because of the images not getting filtered properly (after all, it's just a pair of paper glasses with coloured lenses). I guess that's ghosting in all its mischievous glory. Am I right?

I mean, it seemed really sweet for a moment with high separation and low convergence, the problem is that this supposed ghosting takes away all the fun. For all those who want to say I should get my eyes checked - they're ok (I've been to a dolby 3d movie a few days back and it was stunning :shock: ). I suppose that with a proper 3d solution (paper glasses hardly being proper) it looks waaay different. I'm just trying to figure out whether to jump into s3d head first and go for an iz3d, and it's hard with such scarce personal experience, and nigh-to-impossible access to 3d monitors. I don't have a crt display any more, and I don't want to waste money & time on a CRT and shutterglasses - I prefer an all-in-one approach. (besides, I'm moving this summer so it would just add to the current chaos :P). Any suggestions?
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: anaglyph = bad start?

Post by yuriythebest »

less separation, more convergence!! yeah an introduction to 3d settings with anaglyph is tricky but rest assured anaglyph works and is quite fun. I'd rather game in anaglyph than in 2d if I had to choose for some crazy reason. Forget your gun- focus on the environment- the convergance should me high but the separation should then be adjusted so that there barely is any visible .
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Rosomack: Pm me your address and i'll send you either filters to make your own glasses or a simple papermade ones. The filters i use are good ones and gives almost no ghosting. The annoyance with colors displayed awkvardly is of course still there.
As i see it anaglyph is good way to get familiar with stereogaming/driver and gives great depth with proper settings. For long time use... nah. If you want something better then it might be time to look into a another solution. :D
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

Thanks for the advice guys, I figured it might also be something with the settings. I just watched the s3d guide pics depicting what should look like a depth effect, a pop-out one and a mix. Seems to me I see 3d only when it's set to depth. Wonder why, maybe because of the distracting color effect? Distance from the monitor? I saw everything fine in the cinema with dolby 3d.

EDIT:
I managed to get quite comfortable settings thanks to your advice :D. It does seem pretty hard at first, though, especially because the optimal settings differ from game to game and player to player. It probably only remotely depicts what one can achieve on an iz3d, but it's still fun. :D
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Likay's discofilm is the best :D
(There are a huge difference between different anaglyph glasses).

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”