just tried my first rig today..pretty brill..

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
rogerharris
One Eyed Hopeful

just tried my first rig today..pretty brill..

Post by rogerharris »

After much procastinating got my first 3d rig together today..using descent 3 as a test...

I had an optoma EP719 projector running at about 80" screen..and sat about three feet away.

and it was bloody amazing..!!

just like imax, everything in field of vision was full I was right in there. I shoved up 3d popout to max but it was a bit of an eyestrain. Just about 75-80% is good.

except i am the director. rather than sit getting blasted with film scenes i can just mess around in my ultra real escape from reality.

Right away the most amazing thing was that when the descent bots started coming at me the spatial depth made hitting them easier. the spatial interaction was brilliant, especially as descent when played with a joystick feels quite like flying anyway.

also tried my hitachi 21" CRT with fresnel len..nice and clear but the projector rig wins out.. Tried quake 3, but did not have that massive immersion feeling i got from descent 3.

Trying to explain 3d is pretty difficult. My friend doesnt get how a rig cobbled together from old parts will blow away his brand new system.
FIRST RIG:
Nvidia 6200 grafix + Shutter glasses
Optoma EP719 projector
Hitachi 21" CRT + Fresnel
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: just tried my first rig today..pretty brill..

Post by cybereality »

Congratulations on your first rig. There really is nothing else like a good 3d projector setup. Have fun, stick around.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

sounds amazing!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Great! Then you have to show'em! :D
I don't really know whay, but going big from small in 3d gives more than doing the same in 2d. :)
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
rogerharris
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rogerharris »

Likay wrote:Great! Then you have to show'em! :D
I don't really know whay, but going big from small in 3d gives more than doing the same in 2d. :)
The problem is people dont understand stereovision. I have to actually take them to an imax movie...Then its all "ahhhhh" "whhhooooa"..when can we go see another one.

As for my hardcore gaming friend..he still doesnt get it ..so i am doing a challenge with him.

my 4 year old pc with shutter glasses and projector Vs his new quadcore.geforce 9000 series rig.

We stick up a sign in the local uni and offer to pay some students to judge which system they prefer. Mine made out of parts all older than 4 years..or his all brand new. Whoever loses has to pay the students a fee.

It might be a good idea for anybody else trying to convince hardcore gamers to do similiar challenges ...and make yourself a few bucks in the process.
FIRST RIG:
Nvidia 6200 grafix + Shutter glasses
Optoma EP719 projector
Hitachi 21" CRT + Fresnel
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

wow rogerharris that is an ingenious idea! Please share your results and detailed accounts of his humiliation once available.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

rogerharris wrote:
Likay wrote:Great! Then you have to show'em! :D
The problem is people dont understand stereovision. I have to actually take them to an imax movie...Then its all "ahhhhh" "whhhooooa"..when can we go see another one.

As for my hardcore gaming friend..he still doesnt get it ..so i am doing a challenge with him.

my 4 year old pc with shutter glasses and projector Vs his new quadcore.geforce 9000 series rig.

We stick up a sign in the local uni and offer to pay some students to judge which system they prefer. Mine made out of parts all older than 4 years..or his all brand new. Whoever loses has to pay the students a fee.

It might be a good idea for anybody else trying to convince hardcore gamers to do similiar challenges ...and make yourself a few bucks in the process.
Your problem roger will be that video card. You will have to play old games and your freind will have the latest which will sway many opinions from the start. See if you can get a 7900 or similar and you should be able to play some later games at your projector resolution.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”