Which games presents Stereo3D best? (Far Cry?)

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
nathansteinke
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Which games presents Stereo3D best? (Far Cry?)

Post by nathansteinke »

I've been playing Far Cry again since I am so amazed at how good the Stereo3D is for it. This is the best presentation of stereo3d I've seen in any game. The trees and foliage are amazing and swimming underwater with the fish is awesome.

Does anyone know of any other games that they consider the best demonstration of how good Stereo3D is when it is done right?

Thanks.
-Nate
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

i think farcry looks realy good but if you set the convergens so that your weapon is almost 2d the environment dont looks so good. the 3d effect somehow looks not so 3d.
RAZOR3D SHUTTER GLASSES @ NEC Diamond Pro 930SB(19" CRT) @ 6600GT
nathansteinke

Post by nathansteinke »

Can you go here and grab the far cry profile, try it, and let me know what you think?

http://stereo.gsoftware.se/

Thanks.
-Nate
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

i have test the 2 profiles on http://stereo.gsoftware.se/ . its the same problem. press Ctrl+F6 until your left eye weapon is a bit right of your crosshair. the 3d effect looks much better.
but farcry is although on of the best S-3D games.

if you like farcry you should try Battlefield Vietnam.
RAZOR3D SHUTTER GLASSES @ NEC Diamond Pro 930SB(19" CRT) @ 6600GT
KindDragon
Cross Eyed!

Post by KindDragon »

Flatout 2 is cool
Sir C
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sir C »

Definitively you have to try Painkiller: easy to setup and looks oustanding. :shock:
ohgrant
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ohgrant »

Yes, Painkiller, Lord of the Rings ROTK, Vampire the masquerade, Fair Strike, X-Wing Alliance, and Half Life2, in my opinion, are all Platinum games for 3D viewing.
FarCry is no longer a Platinum game on my system since I upgraded to a 7800gs from a 6800GT. I thought I had it fixed with the stereo profile editor but it still is no where as good as it was on my old 6800. I will try
nathansteinke profile, their website seems to be down right now.
nathansteinke

Post by nathansteinke »

I wonder about if this a problem if a given game can have varying results of Stereo3D goodness based on video card or other variables like monitor.

So going from 6800 to 7600 Nvidia cards made a big difference in how good the Stereo 3D is?

Do you think it is the video card or maybe other variables like shader model or level of detail or other settings that you haven't identified that are different that are the real source?

I wonder about this because I still haven't had Company of Heroes look all that great.
From my perspective what I've tried these are the results I've had
(This is my own subjective standard)
Far Cry 9 (only downside is have to use crosshairs from nvidia driver)
AOE III 10 (after using settings Neil recommended)
Half Life Episode One --- 6
GTR 2 --- 7
Lego Star Wars II (demo) --- 9
Dungeon Siege 2 (demo) --- 7

This seems to vary from what others have experienced, it seems.
-Nate
InCytE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InCytE »

Farcry gets high marks from me. Also the first two Thief games (Dark Project and Metal Age).
I would say the biggest factor to S-3D goodness is the engine.
Hugo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hugo »

my favours:

Live For Speed (perfect in stereo)

FlatOut 2 v-Sync must be off (perfect in stereo - and with StereoTextureEnable, post processing is working well)

World Racing 2 (some sky?s are bad in stereo, remainding stuff is perfect)

Richard Burns Rally (perfect stereo - looking like live-tv :-) , but only with DX Tweaker, so no online mode is possible)

Far Cry (close to be perfect)

Unreal Tournament 2004 v-Sync must be on (perfect in stereo)

Half-Life 2 engine (perfect in stereo [i don?t need HUD], some problems with activated hdr)

Tomb Raider [TRAOD] (perfect in stereo; with StereoTextureEnable, postprocessing can be activated, but not on max. level)

Older perfect (for me) stereo-games:
  • Drakan - order of the flame
    MDK2 (v-Sync must be on)
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein (v-Sync must be on)
    Tomb Raider II
    Colin McRae Rally 04 (v-Sync must be off)
    Colin McRae Rally 02
    Gand Prix Legends
    Mercedes-Benz Truck Racing
    Need For Speed - Porsche
    Rally Trophy
    Re-Volt
    Black & White (is phantastic in stereo - the only game i know with a real 3d mouse-cursor)
Sir C
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sir C »

Alice
Undying
Beyond Good and Evil
nathansteinke

Post by nathansteinke »

GTL (GT Legends) -

other player name labels when (default) Tab is hit look off, but other than that this looks awesome (applies to GTR 2 and rFactor as well)

GTR 2 - Looks very good, but just slightly less good compared to GTL

rFactor - (some dependency on which mod, but overall very nice)
Sir C
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sir C »

Well, I like a lot DOOM 3, ROE and HalfLife 2.
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

Well, I have to recommend :

Prince of Persia: warrior within - (use dragon utility and you are set)
Lord of the rings: return of the king - really great
Knights of the temple (dx8)
Soul Reaver 2 (dx7)
Flatout 1 (dx whatever :)) - very impressive
UT2004 (if not entioned above)
Blade of Darkness (dx7)
realMyst (dx7)
Myst V - very impressive in stereo and no tweeking needed (dx9 game)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Have to add an old fav here. For all who like Super Mario type games i can really recommend Sonic Heroes. Except for the menues the ingame stereo is perfect. My fav setting is to adjust convergence/separation so the "HUD" disappears. This is a 3'rd person game but the 3d is how great you want it to be.
Tomb Raider Legend is quite good with 3d. Prey works quite good with stereo with minor misses using Dragons utility. Some effects need to be turned off though. Far Cry and HL2 are favs here too!
Colin McRae 4 is quite good and Flat out is great in stereo!

Edit: Prey still have some really disturbing effects rendered at a totally wrong depth. However it's still playable. Don't think it deserve a bronse cert though. Love the game elseway! :) Somebody said it's using O-Gl and in that case the compability level is quite high. Now off to see if i can get any results with doom3 and even more: Quake 4.
Last edited by Likay on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
windelfried
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by windelfried »

for me - far cry is best game ever ( hoping that crises will be very good also)

call of duty2
stalker ( clouds problem)
half life 2 ( hud problem)
oblivion ( pink water problem)
morrowind ( stars at night problem)
fear ( slow motion problem)
Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

Hmm tough call :)

At the moment I play either AOE3, Half Life 2 episode 1, Call of Duty 2 and FarCry

AOE3: just perfect 3D, no problems anywhere. For some reason, this one gets the strongest response from on-lookers. "It looks like playing with clay figures!"

Half Life 2 Episode 1: Ow man, real great 3D here. No HUD, no crosshair (not even the Nvidia one, doesn't work at correct depth for me). However, this is no sniping game anyway. Rock solid! I just aim with the tracer bullets. (ps: someone should mod this game, so that more guns use the bazooka's laser to aim. Would work like a charm.. and the idea applies to more games)

Call of Duty 2: Great 3D, nice snow effects etc too when enabling DX 9. Does tend to sometimes slow down a little bit. Regardless of nvidia crosshair on or not. Nvidia crosshair not spot on, but workable. Great title! (no HUD for me again btw)

Far Cry: HUD, crosshair etc all work flawless here, as if it was made for S-3D. What can I say.. most perfect FPS I played with S-3D.. but the other 2 are close :)

Using the 94.something stereo and normal drivers on a souped up 3.3 ghz Core 2 Quad extreme with a 7950 GT card. All games have multi core enabled btw.. Playing on a passive stereo projection setup, using the planar mirror up down option. (the normal one gives me odd artifacts errors, god knows why there would be a difference between the 2)

Stereo rocks!!!!

ps: I am changing convergence so it matches my real world setup. So I converge a point in the scene like 4 meters away. Then decrease seperation to something very small. This is imho the best, when playing on a widescreen. It matches the real world thing the most and gives best 3D "fill".
CyberBen3DHiDefBoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Two more

Post by CyberBen3DHiDefBoy »

Boarder Zone - a snowboarding game that people can pick up right away so it's good for parties (esp. with an AirStick) - "snowing" effect is cool. And because it's in the snow it's nice and bright to counteract the shutterglasses. On the projector some first time players literally scream from the vertigo when they catch some air and then the ground drops out and you can see how far down the ground is. That's got to be a measure of success... when girls are screaming at you you're either doing something really right or really wrong.

Also in addition to NFS Porche, Need for Speed Underground 2 is excellent in stereo 3d. Totally awesome combined with a Force Feedback wheel. You're seeing it and feeling it... it's videogame zen. You can just cruise around town and get on and off the highway and pick races every once in a while with other cool cars. It's totally immersive and addictive in 3d.

It's been a while since I've had a 3d theater but I'm getting new equipment in this week so I can't wait to try all these games.

Ben

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”