Performance hit, is it on graphic card or CPU side?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
snaileri
One Eyed Hopeful

Performance hit, is it on graphic card or CPU side?

Post by snaileri »

Hi.
When 3D is turned on (shutterglass), does the image's double-rendering affect both CPU and graphcard performance, or is it just on graphcard side?
I have 8800 GTX 768 and I'm about to buy one of the new 120hz monitors, and I'm unsure if the card is able to hold good frame rate at 1680x1050 resolution.
If the 3D affects CPUs performance too, then 3D is no no for me, because then I'd have to upgrade my whole system.

My CPU is Q6600 2,4ghz

Thanks for any replies!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Performance hit, is it on graphic card or CPU side?

Post by Likay »

As always it depends on what games you're playing. If you have bad performance in 3d you need to tunr some option down. For example the resolution. The performance hit in 3d in regards to 2d should be somewhere in between 10% and 50%. Different games gives different fps performancehits. So far if you use shutterglasses with the iz3d drivers and your 8800 the fps from the game have to be at a stable rate to perform well with shutters (left/right eye shifts otherwise). The support for stereo-3d in games sank like a stone when nvidia introduced their 8000 series of card (and upwards). Some have managed shutterglasses with 8800's: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I can't say in your specific case but in general, the most important is the video card.

If I had to choose between:
  • Slow cpu with fast video card
  • Fast cpu with slow video card
I would choose the slow cpu with the fast video card. Of course, I would prefer a fast cpu with a fast video card.

I just upgraded from a Nvidia 8600 to an ATI 4850 and the performance boost is amazing. You could try to take a look at game benchmarks and look for the fps.

If you plan on buying the 3D Vision shutterglasses, it does not matter if your card can't render at 120 Hz all the time. The NVIDIA stereo driver is able to keep the latest left and right frames in memory and always switch them at 120 Hz no matter the game fps.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

snaileri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by snaileri »

Thanks.
So my rig should be enough to run Left 4 Dead at 1680x1050 in 3D. Resolution is the least I want to reduce, maybe I remove dynamic shadows if my FPS goes below 35 or so.
Oh well, it's still a long way until we european get our hands on those glasses.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

3D rendering is mostly done with the GPU.
So you should expect a 50% framerate reduction.

That is unless the 2D rendering maxes out your CPU (completely game dependant).
In these cases you'll get less framerate reduction and you can expect anyhting between 0% and 50% reduction.

Note : the iz3d driver needs to hack the rendering process to access the camera so there is a framerate reduction straight away just for using the iZ3D driver.
This framerate reduction is about 10-20% depending on the games. I haven't found a game so far which doesn't have this issue with iZ3D.

I do not have the nvidia drivers since i'm running winXP so i cannot test myself but according to the data from the benchmark seciton and other websites benchmarks (from the Geforce 3D reviews) nvidia drivers don't have this issue since they act at the driver level.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
BILDO
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BILDO »

Snail... so have u done it yet??? I totally wana play Left 4 dead in 3D... like that would be the poop.
snaileri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by snaileri »

I'm still waiting for Nvidia's glasses to get in the markets here in EU.
And I need a new screen too.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”