Input Maping a VRBOX to emulate a Razer Hydra controller

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
CrazyGuyDoingStuff
One Eyed Hopeful

Input Maping a VRBOX to emulate a Razer Hydra controller

Post by CrazyGuyDoingStuff »

I know it sound crazy try to do that, but there is any way to make these cheap VRBOX Bluetooth controllers emulate a Razer Hydra controller inputs? :woot

I have these cheap VRBox used to watch 360 por- I MEAN, 360 YOUTUBE VIDEOS... And it cames with these little guys here:

I know they dont have motion tracking, but saw some videos on youtube of people using fullbody stuff using literally paper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAUMBG_4Tf8

So I was thinking... If I use the fullbody metod of the video (Or something like) as a motion track and the controllers as a Vive controller (To walk, hold objects, interact with stuff) on Steam Vr games (like VRChat)? :shock:

I Think if I just use these cheap controllers on Keyboard or gamepad mode I can Map them as a Razer Hydra and make it works. But I have no clue how to code that or if that will be possible. Maybe if I buy another cheap controller and use the OpenVR Input Emulator to emulate the missing buttons like This? For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-Hn93bJR8

Its more easy say than make it I guess... :?
Jabberwock
Cross Eyed!

Re: Input Maping a VRBOX to emulate a Razer Hydra controller

Post by Jabberwock »

I am somewhat skeptical that visual tracking will be able to provide the sufficient precision. Position tracking might be passable, but to use e.g. Steam menus you have rotate the controller, i.e. track rather minute rotations of your wrist.

Software-wise it should be rather straightforward, just take all the inputs from your controllers and pass them to a virtual hydra, e.g.:

hydra[0].joyx = joystick[0].x

would pass the values from the controller (if e.g. its stick is x) to the stick of the virtual hydra - of course, you might need to adapt ranges etc.
CrazyGuyDoingStuff
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Input Maping a VRBOX to emulate a Razer Hydra controller

Post by CrazyGuyDoingStuff »

I know its not efficient, but I want to make it works and being a little usable with cheap stuff, dont need to be perfect like a real controller (Not even close). I just want to do it because it's possible to do it (Im a crazy guy, what can I say?).
Btw. How do I get all the Razer Hydra Inputs to make my code? You think there is a cheapest (or free) way to track hands or body position?

Return to “FreePIE”