Casting VR but in 3D?!

CameraTraveler
One Eyed Hopeful

Casting VR but in 3D?!

Post by CameraTraveler »

There's live casting VR in 2D.
There's live but fisheye distorted L/R view.

Is there any conceivable technique to share the live stereoscopic view of a VR headset to a 3D projector so that it understands it for everyone else to watch - in 3D - undistorted?
AdanBaumbach
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Casting VR but in 3D?!

Post by AdanBaumbach »

CameraTraveler wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:50 pm There's live casting VR in 2D.getting over it
There's live but fisheye distorted L/R view.

Is there any conceivable technique to share the live stereoscopic view of a VR headset to a 3D projector so that it understands it for everyone else to watch - in 3D - undistorted?
Use a capture card and a 3D video converter.
Use a wireless display adapter and VR streaming app
Use PC and VR mirroring software
These 3 techniques may help.
3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJ »

There's OpenVR and OpenXR source plugins for OBS that can capture both eyes while playing.
Compensating for distortion would probably require factoring in the specific VR lenses' optics but that's just my guess.
Unless you just crop the desired area, like a 16:9 1080p frame for each view and put them together in a 3840x1080 frame (left eye first) then you can follow this guide to upload to youtube in 3D https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7278886
Then devices should be able to view it in 3D. I know the YouTube android app supports it in Anaglyph and Cardboard VR.
For 3D Vision, we can use PotPlayer: viewtopic.php?t=26137
and for PCVR, there's the now-defunct official YouTube VR app: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dl/omqtkcevn8 ... uTubeVR.7z
That way, there will still be some distortion, but I don't think it would be that much more compared to other gameplay recordings, especially the ones at high FOV.
I've been planning to do something like this, so lemme know how it goes for ya
CameraTraveler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CameraTraveler »

Use a capture card and a 3D video converter.
Use a wireless display adapter and VR streaming app
Use PC and VR mirroring software
These 3 techniques may help.
Thank you. Could you be more specific? I'm familiar with the hardware you listed but not seeing how it would be implemented in my use case.

Which "3D video converter"?
Why a wireless display adapter?
Which PC and VR mirroring software?

My setup would be a Quest 2 over airlink or virtual desktop. Hoping to get a live, UNdistorted, stereo signal out of it so I can feed it to a dual stacked Passive 3D projector setup. Full HD would be fine but ideally I would love to get a 4K 16:9 per eye signal. Stabilized would be the icing on the cake but not expected.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”