Connector Type at Oculus Rift Head Tracking Board. Need Help

Emax
One Eyed Hopeful

Connector Type at Oculus Rift Head Tracking Board. Need Help

Post by Emax »

Hi,
I own an Ouclus Rift DK1 and also made my own DIY clone in 2012 as described here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15247

I used a 7 inch Innolux display (N070ICG-LD1) and the controller board “M.NT68676.2A”.
I realized that my Do-it –yourself Rift has better picture quality and less blurring as compared to the real Oculus Rift. The specs also suggest a faster response time when compared to the display in the Oculus Rift DK1 (Innolux HJ070IA-02D).
It looks like I cannot use the controller box of the Rift with my other display (just a guess, since there is an additional electronics board directly on the back of the rift display in addition to the board in the box). So I will exchange the display and the controller board in the external box.

My current problem is that I would like to connect USB directly to the Rift Head Tracker (using an own cable for picture, USB and power). However, I just don’t know what kind of connector is used at the head tracker board. It is a small 4 pin plug that connects USB coming from the box when using the original cable, but it is not any kind of standard USB connector. It would be great if anyone could help so that I can order the right plug somewhere.
At this link you can see what I am talking about:

http://ifixit.dozuki.com/Teardown/Oculu ... down/13682

I could of course cut off the connector from my rift cable and solder it to the new cable, but I would like to avoid that.
I would be very happy for any kind of help on this :-)
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Connector Type at Oculus Rift Head Tracking Board. Need

Post by MSat »

You'll probably have a hard time finding such a prewired connector, and an even harder time with one that has a USB connector on the other end. Cutting and soldering is probably your best bet.
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

Could you please measure the pitch spacing of the connector? And if you could supply a picture of the connector that plugs in I might be able to identify what you need.
At the moment it looks like this connector : http://au.element14.com/hrs-hirose/df14 ... tt=1719139

That connector has a pitch spacing of 1.25mm, there are other similar connectors but with varying pitches (most common is 1.25 though).

if you cant get through that link here is the data for the suspected connector:

HRS (HIROSE) - DF14 Series

Surface Mount Right Angle Header

1 Row, 4 contacts

Manufacturer Part No: DF14-4P-1.25H(25)
Emax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Emax »

MSat wrote:You'll probably have a hard time finding such a prewired connector, and an even harder time with one that has a USB connector on the other end. Cutting and soldering is probably your best bet.
Hi MSat,
maybe a missunderstanding. I just need one specific plug that fits to the head tracking board to add it to my exisiting wiring.
Emax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Emax »

Applemung wrote:Could you please measure the pitch spacing of the connector? And if you could supply a picture of the connector that plugs in I might be able to identify what you need.
At the moment it looks like this connector : http://au.element14.com/hrs-hirose/df14 ... tt=1719139

That connector has a pitch spacing of 1.25mm, there are other similar connectors but with varying pitches (most common is 1.25 though).

if you cant get through that link here is the data for the suspected connector:

HRS (HIROSE) - DF14 Series

Surface Mount Right Angle Header

1 Row, 4 contacts

Manufacturer Part No: DF14-4P-1.25H(25)
Hey Applemung,
That could indeed be the plug type. I already tried to find something on a supplier website. There were just too many similar options and I got confused very fast.
I made some pictures of the plug to make it easier for knowing people. The pitch could also be 1.25 as you suggest (it's hard to measure correctly when you have a grid of 1 mm on the ruler ;-)
You still would say I should try to order the one you recommended in your first post?
Thanks for your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr.uu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mr.uu »

Why don't you just stick the rift tracker on the back of you DIY-Rift, unplug the Rift-screen and use the original Rift cable with the box?
Okay, you need one USB (for powering the box) more and the cable is thicker, but imho it is not worth the hassle...

I did it this way with my Frankenrift and all works fine...

EDIT: have you tried to swap the panels directly? You said you THINK it doesn't work. Is the connector the same?
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

Sorry, this is the connector part http://au.element14.com/hrs-hirose/df14 ... dp/1719126
I gave you the link to the headder on the board. It looks quite similar, if you go to the datasheet linked on that page
you should be able to measure things like the height, width and length. The datasheet stated that the comnnector is:

2.3mm thick

6.95mm wide (widest part of the connector)

length from front to back is 5.8mm

If those measurements are the same or extremely similar I would try it out.

From the pictures you posted it looks the same but it's hard to tell when there are so many connectors that look the same.
It even has those sharp points on the sides of the face of the connector.

Also: with those crimp pins, if you don't have a correct crimping tool what you can do is just solder the wire onto the crimp and use
some small/thin pliers to bend around the crimping edges after you have soldered the wire on.
Emax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Emax »

mr.uu wrote:Why don't you just stick the rift tracker on the back of you DIY-Rift, unplug the Rift-screen and use the original Rift cable with the box?
Okay, you need one USB (for powering the box) more and the cable is thicker, but imho it is not worth the hassle...

I did it this way with my Frankenrift and all works fine...

EDIT: have you tried to swap the panels directly? You said you THINK it doesn't work. Is the connector the same?
Hi mr.uu,
Yes, switching the panels directly was my original plan. However, there is an additional board on the Oculus panel that might only work together with the Oculus driver board in the box. I don't know what its use is and I don't know if everything is pin compatible with my other display (see pictures below).
On top of that, I don't know what makes the picture in original Oculus so blurry and washed out. Maybe the driver board in the box is also responsible for that. So exchanging the whole electronics might be the best bet.
I still want to keep the Oculus plastics HMD instead of a foam box.
I also attached a picture of my small board that interconnects USB, LVDS and power to a single HDMI cable.
Any idea how I should proceed anyone?
Thanks for all the input so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Emax »

Applemung wrote:Sorry, this is the connector part http://au.element14.com/hrs-hirose/df14 ... dp/1719126
I gave you the link to the headder on the board. It looks quite similar, if you go to the datasheet linked on that page
you should be able to measure things like the height, width and length. The datasheet stated that the comnnector is:

2.3mm thick

6.95mm wide (widest part of the connector)

length from front to back is 5.8mm

If those measurements are the same or extremely similar I would try it out.

From the pictures you posted it looks the same but it's hard to tell when there are so many connectors that look the same.
It even has those sharp points on the sides of the face of the connector.

Also: with those crimp pins, if you don't have a correct crimping tool what you can do is just solder the wire onto the crimp and use
some small/thin pliers to bend around the crimping edges after you have soldered the wire on.
That's great info!
Now I don't even need to look for the corresponting jack myself :-)
I will give this one a try and hopefully it fits.
Maybe somebody can in addition unveil the differences in the two boards and what the job of this additional small board on the Oculus display is all about?
Thanks to everyone so far! Great community here!
mr.uu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mr.uu »

Emax wrote:...Any idea how I should proceed anyone?...
I would unplug and swap the original panel with the new one. Then connect it via your hdmi->lvds board. The Rift tracker works just fine without the Hdmi of the rift box connected. You have already everything and it should work.
comefaraway
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Connector Type at Oculus Rift Head Tracking Board. Need Help

Post by comefaraway »

It seems like the connector you're looking for on the Oculus Rift Head Tracker board is a 4-pin plug. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be a standard USB connector. To identify and order the right plug, you might want to check with electronics suppliers or reach out to Oculus support for specific details on the connector type. Good luck with your project!

Return to “Oculus VR”