GuildWars

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

GuildWars

Post by Xerion »

GuildWars

Disabled Post-Processing in game options
Adjusted Convergance to make GUI usable

Anomalies:
* NPC/Character names, icons, healthbars etc. are drawn at UI level instead of 3D

Apart from the anomaly the game works and looks absoutely great in 3D, depending on how you play the game the anomaly might be more or less of a hinderance.

Some screenshots can be found here.
More (and better) screenshots will be added later, have to change some hotkeys and settings.

OT: I can't make screenshots at the resolution I usually play, namely 1400x1050. The display becomes all garbled and the stereo log says it runs out of memory. Therefore I had to make the screenshots at 1024x768, pity...
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
Duckey
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Duckey »

I think that game has the same problem as halflife 2.
Try setting the seperation to maby 5% and then hold down ctrl-F6 for about a minute untill you see a kind of overlay slide off the screen.
Unfourtnally this will also make the hud slide off the screen as well :cry:
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hey! Guild Wars is in Ventrilo if anyone is interested.

I haven't tried this game yet, but here is an experiment for you.

In the NVIDIA stereo compatibility settings, tick on the "Force HW TNL Shaders OFF" - something like that.

Reboot your computer, and play the game. If you can get into the game, hit CTRL-F10 a few times and see if that anomaly is still there.

If it works, see how the performance is. This setting makes your CPU do the shader work instead of the graphics card - and that creates a performance hit.

Regards,
Neil
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

it looks good but for me the seperation is to high. do you use a Projector to play?
RAZOR3D SHUTTER GLASSES @ NEC Diamond Pro 930SB(19" CRT) @ 6600GT
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

How strange, for me the seperations of your screenshots are always too high. That doesn't make sense. Anyway I don't think you get what I meant by what i called an anomaly. What I mean just that the names of npc's somewhere back are drawn at the depth of the UI. This is annoying as I keep automatically focussing to read the text, while I want to be focussing on the world instead. If the names were actually placed in the 3D world at the same depth as the thing they belonged to, then I could read it and see the creature just fine at the same time

Further, as I said I DID use CTRL+F5/CRTL+F6 untill the UI was right.

Also, forcing hardware TNL off doesn't help anything, only breaks stuff. And strangely so does kingdragon's tool. If I try to use it with guildwars shadows and some other things are suddenly drawn wrong, while they are not without the tool. Also it won't help with post-processing anyway, they only way to have stereo is having post-processing off. Anti-Aliasing on the other hand does work fine.

About the resolution thing: I'm now using 1280x960, this allows screenshotting as well, but at higher resolutions something just runs out of memory, too bad :P

EDIT: Just added some more, and better screenshots (from 07 onwards)

Ow and scarab, can you see if swapping the images for left and right eye helps if you try to view my images, strangely some of your images seem to look good for me only if I swap them :S
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

Today i have less problems to view your screenshots than yesterday :D
Swap the images dont helps to watch the screenshots. For me they are nearly unviewable because everything is at the wrong depth. Near Objects a far away and far objekts are very close.

What seperations do you normally use? I play the most time at 36%.
RAZOR3D SHUTTER GLASSES @ NEC Diamond Pro 930SB(19" CRT) @ 6600GT
Nafta
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nafta »

Maybe a big bump but i'm getting my glasses soon and i want to know how good this game is with the Stereo vision, I play this game all the time and that's why it's a bit important to me.
Crysis FTW!
Apocalyps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Apocalyps »

Hi,

Well I'm pretty new with stereoscopic gameing, and I play guildwars a lot too.

The thing is, when I get it to be confortable (HUD and 3D) the depth is pretty low, so not a lot of stereo 3D.

When I get the 'depth' right, well I have to change focus a lot between 3D and HUD, and it's not really comfi...

So, that were my (first on this forum) two cents!
Nafta
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nafta »

Ah ok, i have read this btw maybe it could help or something

This is a Quote
Not at the moment. Of course, I won't play Guild Wars alone for the rest of my life...
Anyway, I managed to get the interface working by adjusting the convergence. I had to hit CTRL + F5 until the two instances of the interface merged perfectly, and that didn't affect the stereo appearance of the rest of the game. From what I understand, by doing that I basically set the convergence of the two cameras on the imaginary plane where the interface lies.
After the interface problem was solved, I was able to push the stereo separation up to the maximum (CTRL+F4) and the interface was still perfect. By freeviewing the stereo screenshots, the interface appears very close to the observer, and the Guild Wars world unfolds behind it in all its magnificence. I don't find that effect annoying. On top of that, Guild Wars' interface is very customizable, and therefore it's possible to reduce the size and/or move those elements that get in the way.
From what I understand, since there is no software other than the nVidia stereo driver involved in the Z800 visualization process, the result I'd get on the visor should be the same as the freeview of a stereo screenshot... Of course if some of you gurus here wants to correct me on this point, I'm more than happy to refine my understanding of the whole 3D stereo thing.

All the best

Giulio
Crysis FTW!
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

That's exactly what I did :)
Nafta
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nafta »

Xerion wrote:That's exactly what I did :)
And do you see the hud and stereo effect?
Crysis FTW!
Apocalyps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Apocalyps »

what I get, is I see the HUD, AND stereo effect, but really not a lot.

When I push F6 untill the hud seperates and goes off screen (not very usefull I know, but tried it anyway) the stereo effect becomes amasingly beautifull...

So I guess it depends if you can live with 'little' stereo effect...
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Using FW 158.22 with 97.94 Stereo Drivers, I can now have post-processing enabled with stereo working. About the HUD thing, I still get quite a lot of stereo when setting a nice high seperation, although I agree it's even better with the HUD off screen.

EDIT: Today I'm testing a bit more. It seems that i only get stereo with post-processing enabled if I also enable AA. So I think the game itself might turn off some post-processing if AA is enabled as well. Further it seems I get graphical glitches if I put AA on 4x, but all seems fine so far with it on 2x. This might be happening because the videocard runs out of memory with it on 4x. (Since it also ran out of memory when stereo screenshotting at the high resolutions I use)

EDIT2: Another thing I noticed while playing around today was that adjusting my eyes to seperation finally goes easily. In fact, I was able to put seperation on maximum and have no trouble. Because it's now so easy I decided to play with convergance again, I ran up as far as I could to another character then I used ctrl+F6 untill I saw the character twice, then I backed up again with ctrl+F5 until it was just right. And I now have to admit you guys are right, the effect is much better with convergance, so I'll guess i'll have to learn to play without the HUD :p
Neil

Guildwars SOLUTION!

Post by Neil »

*EDIT: There is a further explanation on the next page. Word on the street is this message came across less positively than it was intended, and we take this input very seriously.

Hi guys!

I think I found the solution for getting the interface, the pop-out (yes, convergence), and depth to work in Guildwars.

In other words, I can get a pop-out effect AND depth, and maintain a uniform interface (inventory, etc.). Even the character labels are where they are supposed to be. There is a minor anomaly in the interface, but I don't think you will be dissapointed.

This is all NVIDIA based, and it is something you can do immediately.

Start or get involved with at least three different forum advocacy threads, and I'll PM the solution to you. Again, no special drivers or software is needed, and you can benefit from it immediately.

The advocacy threads are HERE:

http://mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=12

For some reason, I can't get screenshots to show you - but I'm good on my word and a second tester has benefited from the same results.

Regards,
Neil 8)
Last edited by Neil on Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Znith
Cross Eyed!

Post by Znith »

ok post retracted.. I'm going to chill for a while.. I went off the deep end
Last edited by Znith on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IZ3D~ My answer to S3D!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Znith,

Thank you for your concerns. First, it's never my intention to blackmail members. Blackmail implies I'm going to slander someone or somehow hurt them to get what I want. That's not at all what my message is about, and I think you will agree that all our efforts have been very positive energy focused.

If you felt somehow blackmailed, I apologize. It's not my way, and I don't condone it.

We are all contributors here, and I think this site is a positive statement of how much our team has contributed and continues to contribute.

It took several hours to find the right solution, and I think a few minutes to help push the MTBS certification forward (the industry forward) is a small investment to pay to get the benefits of excellent gameplay. Offering incentives and benefits is not blackmail.

In the future, if something I do offends you again, please PM me, and I can respond accordingly. You will find I am very receptive to our members' input, ideas, and feedback, and this will also avoid any unnecessary public misunderstandings.

Regards,
Neil
Znith
Cross Eyed!

Post by Znith »

Ok bribe might have been a better word LOL :P
IZ3D~ My answer to S3D!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Incentives! Rewards! Benefits! Positive word choice, please! :P

You make me sound like Tony Soprano! :twisted:

It's all good. I'm sorry if I put you off somehow.

Neil
Znith
Cross Eyed!

Post by Znith »

I did a background check on you and it seems you're one of his long lost brothers... Now we know how you got all those 3D monitors!! Mob Money :twisted:

retracted my post
IZ3D~ My answer to S3D!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Yeah, no one ever suspects the dude with the 3D glasses - NO ONE!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! :twisted:

Catch you later,

Neil
Jahun

Post by Jahun »

Well... blackmailing is not per se slander or hurt. It can be also semi forcing someone to do something before giving what he wants. As is the case here.

It would have been 10x more gracious if you'd just posted the solution, stating how much time it took you to work it out, and asking him a favor in return. I'm just saying this, because also to me it looked a tad.. err.. bad. The community is not that big yet, let's just help eachother and hope advocacy comes from that.

I remember the posts with the nice screenshots and the upcoming statements. Also pushing for advocacy. In the end it was purely IZ3D.
And yes a mainstream product would be nice.. but that is not the way to push it imho.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Jahun,

Thank you for your feedback. I haven't forgotten this thread since it started, and I did take Znith's input very seriously - yours as well.

I think advocates should get benefits that traditional members don't. Advocacy is hard work. You have to register in new game forums, confirm your email, post, follow your post - it's time consuming.

Maybe I went about it the wrong way in that the message didn't land the way it was intended. However, I think advocates deserve to get advantages. They are putting their good name on the line, and I value that - the industry values that.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your last statement. We have not yet revealed certification guidelines for the iZ3D drivers, and our advocacy is very much focused on NVIDIA drivers, and the NVIDIA driver results.

Feel free to read our certification criteria, and please continue the positive efforts to move the industry along.

Best wishes,
Neil

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”