2D to 3D Realtime Video Conversion Script for Avisynth v0.3

Bloody
One Eyed Hopeful

2D to 3D Realtime Video Conversion Script for Avisynth v0.3

Post by Bloody »

Here is version 0.3b of the Avisynth script I wrote about realtime conversion of 2D video to 3D. The first version of the script was a bit rough and not very functional, then the second version was more functional and improved, but still performing slow on 720p or higher resoltion. The new version does not use the slow Reform plugin anymore as it is quite heavy for the CPU for real time processing of frames as Quadrilaterals. This version can also take advantage of multi-core CPUs, just use the MT version of the script with the multithreading support included (version 0.8 for AviSynth 2.5.8). The multithreaded script is recommended if you have a dual or quad core processor and get slower framerates in order to get better framerate. Just as a reminder, this script is to be opened instead of a video file from 3D Vision Stereoscopic Player or the Stereoscopic Player in a Side by Side L/R format by default and is designed to be viewed on a computer that is equipped with a 120Hz display and Nvidia’s GeForce 3D Vision. Thanks to the help of Martin Haverland and based on some parts of eslave’s similar script the conversion can now also be used with anaglyph glasses, on interlaced displays etc. You just need to comment the StackHorizontal command and uncomment the respective mode you need to use in the script code…

To download the script and all the additional installation files needed:2d-to-3d-video-conversion-scripts.zip

The archive includes single and multithreaded version of the script, along with the latest Avisynth and MT plugin needed for the script to work. You just need to change the video file name to a file you need converted from 2D to 3D inside the script and open the AVS script file in the player instead of the original video. The same can be done with VirtualDub or other video editor in order to generate a 3D output file instead of doing things in real-time with output only on the screen. What the script does is to create one frame difference between the frames for the left and right eye, makes quite good illusion of depth in objects… kind of Pulfrich effect. The second thing is to creare a bit of distortion for the frames to further increase the effect. Two very simple things that create very impressive results, although it is still far from perfect as some objects are at wrong depth and there are some weird visual artefacts on some fast moving scenes, but still the end result is very good.

Some example 1080p movie trailers converted with the above script can be seen here: http://stereoscopic3d.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The script is open and any suggestions for improvement are more than welcome, so if you have any good ideas please share them. Also don't forget to comment on how the script works for you...
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Re: 2D to 3D Realtime Video Conversion Script for Avisynth v0.3

Post by Freke1 »

I can't see the greatness. Looks very bad to me.
sjfox85
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 2D to 3D Realtime Video Conversion Script for Avisynth v

Post by sjfox85 »

Admittedly I am a newbe to the world of 3D.

But I've have great success with v0.3b script. I find that animated films require arround the 20-30pix seperation while movies only require 10-20pix seperation.

One thing I must say..... Startrek (2009) should have been released in 3D. The upconvert was truly A W E S O M E ! ! ! !

Going over the site I see that there is quite a number of people providing input, Being new to all this I would like to know what the latest/best avs script to use is....
I dont know about other people, but I prefer to convert the movie then watch rather then converting on the fly. True it's not quite "on demand" but if you have a collection why not have a 3D collection also......
Amagai

Post by Amagai »

Whats with all the spam poster above me?

Anyway, I will stick with Arcsoft TMT3 for 2D to 3D
quakelore
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by quakelore »

Arcsoft is still the best one IMO. I tried out the script here and found it to be a bit inferior to what I am already using. I am currently using a samsung lcd hdtv with 3D compatibility as my monitor and I feel no need to make any tweaks. This comment is not meant to be a deterrent or to talk bad, because there are some areas where script looks really solid. I am hoping to see an updated version that is a bit more well rounded with what I learned from some IT staffing agencies.
emmaorabelle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by emmaorabelle »

Thank you for sharing version 0.3b of your Avisynth script for real-time conversion of 2D video to 3D. It's great to hear that you have improved the script and eliminated the heavy Reform plugin, and that it can now take advantage of multi-core CPUs with the multithreaded version.
I appreciate that you have included detailed instructions for downloading and using the script, as well as examples of the converted 1080p movie trailers. It's also nice to see that you welcome suggestions for improvement and feedback on the script's performance.
Overall, your post provides valuable information for anyone interested in converting 2D video to 3D and I'm sure it will be helpful for many people. tunnel rush
UnityBeing
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UnityBeing »

The Instructions and this post didn't really guide me as newbie, but thank u for the contribution to the community. I really tried to follow through but its all new to me. Thank you nonetheless.
lisapurnellsw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lisapurnellsw »

Can anyone please suggest a working script that will convert a video to 3D. My source videos are from standard definition VHS-to-DVD conversions where.
Taylor Swift 2048
3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJ »

Like I mentioned in another thread, we can use MiDaS models via DepthViewer to convert videos to 3D in "realtime" (performance isn't that great) and even though it's meant for VR, it even supports 3D Vision if you have it working with Direct3D 11 (up to driver 452.06 and 2080 Ti, which I'm currently using)
https://github.com/parkchamchi/DepthVie ... 1657791622

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”