Geo-11 Nvidia_DX9 Output Mode only working for me when no 3D Fixes are installed - tried 7 games

spin1
Cross Eyed!

Geo-11 Nvidia_DX9 Output Mode only working for me when no 3D Fixes are installed - tried 7 games

Post by spin1 »

- Assetto Corsa
- Dirt Rally 1
- Dirt 4
- Dirt Rally 2.0
- Project Cars 1
- Project Cars 2
- RFactor 2

Tried all these games. Some of them have 3D fixes some don't but one thing is consistent. Every single one works with Geo-11 in nvidia_dx9 output mode when there are no 3D Fixes installed and whenever a 3D fix is installed (for the games that have them), Geo-11 in nvidia_dx9 output mode doesn't work with most games just running in 2D mode (and one or 2 crashing or bugging out).

So it doesn't seem like it's Geo-11 nvidia_dx9 output mode that's not working. It seems like it's the 3D fixes that are preventing or "breaking" Geo-11.

The methods I'm using are the following:
- when not using a 3D fix, move the following 4 Geo-11 files into the game's same folder which has it's EXE inside: nvapi64.dll, d3dxdm.ini, d3dx.ini, d3d11.dll.
- in d3dx.ini, make sure force stereo is set to 2 (it is be default but I always check)
- in d3dxdm.ini, make sure direct_mode is set to nvidia_dx9

- when using a 3D fix, move the following 3 Geo-11 files into the game's same folder which has it's EXE inside: nvapi64.dll, d3dxdm.ini, d3d11.dll
- in d3dx.ini (which is already there because of the 3D Fix install), make sure force stereo is set to 2
Last edited by spin1 on Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Geo-11 nvidia_dx9 output works ONLY when no 3D Fixes are installed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

3DNovice wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:07 pm FFS, Geo-11 is new and still in testing.
? Wow, man. Chill out. What's your point? Did I, at any time, blame Geo-11? No.
3DNovice wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:07 pm Do not spread misinformation, Geo-11 does indeed work with dx9 fixes, but not all of them.
? I never said Geo-11 doesn't work with DX9 fixes. In fact, I never even tested Geo-11 with any DX9 games because DX9 games work just fine without Geo-11.
3DNovice wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:07 pm One problem with dx9 fixes are that they are made with early versions of helixmod, in some cases only his first wrapper iteration would work
with a particular game engine. W10 does not play well with dx9 games/helixmod. In some cases you need to disable fullscreen optimizations.
In some cases compatibility mode for an earlier Windows version must be enabled.
I know about disabling Fullscreen Optimizations. I do it for both my 3D DX9 and DX11 games however, once again, this has nothing to do with DX9 games / DX9 3D fixes
3DNovice wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:07 pm Helix never released his code, so there will never be improvements on his wrapper. There has been work by DarkStarSword, davegl1234 and
Nintynuts to varying degrees to bring dx9 functionality to 3DMigoto, with luck, we will see this bear fruition in time.

BUT OF COURSE, WTF are you going on about.
DirectX 9 support still exists in newer drivers for 3DVision and Geo-11 is un-needed, provided the 3D Vision portion of the driver is installed!!
Which it must be, for users using the 3D Vision emitter/glasses.
Again, you need to chill out with your swearing towards other people. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and are being extremely ignorant. The fact you keep mentioning DX9 games, DX9 fixes, newer drivers still supporting DX9 games, how Geo-11 is un-needed for DX9 games, etc. shows your ignorance. This has nothing to do with DX9 games.

GEO-11's Nvidia_DX9 output mode is to make DX11 games work with Nvidia drivers beyond 452. It has nothing to do with actual DX9 games.

Here is another user's response to someone else who, like you, thought Geo-11's Nvidia_DX9 output mode is for DX9 games:
viewtopic.php?p=185988#p185988

In case you don't read it, I'll quote one part of it here for you:

"nvidia_dx9 output mode has NOTHING to do with DX9 game. Its just the render path that geo-11 can use. Its the ONLY path I believe that is available for those of us with later drivers to use."
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

spin1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:11 am - Assetto Corsa
- Dirt Rally 1
- Dirt 4
- Dirt Rally 2.0
- Project Cars 1
- Project Cars 2
- RFactor 2

Tried all these games. Some of them have 3D fixes some don't but one thing is consistent. Every single one works with Geo-11 in nvidia_dx9 output mode when there are no 3D Fixes installed and whenever a 3D fix is installed (for the games that have them), Geo-11 in nvidia_dx9 output mode doesn't work with most games just running in 2D mode (and one or 2 crashing or bugging out).

So it doesn't seem like it's Geo-11 nvidia_dx9 output mode that's not working. It seems like it's the 3D fixes that are preventing or "breaking" Geo-11.

The methods I'm using are the following:
- when not using a 3D fix, move the following 4 Geo-11 files into the game's same folder which has it's EXE inside: nvapi64.dll, d3dxdm.ini, d3dx.ini, d3d11.dll.
- in d3dx.ini, make sure force stereo is set to 2 (it is be default but I always check)

- when using a 3D fix, move the following 3 Geo-11 files into the game's same folder which has it's EXE inside: nvapi64.dll, d3dxdm.ini, d3d11.dll
- in d3dx.ini (which is already there because of the 3D Fix install), make sure force stereo is set to 2
That's the correct setup for getting a game running with nvidia_dx9 output mode. I can't explain your negative results here. The mode is working for the majority of games I try, maybe 60% of them.

There is not technical reason why a game fix would break the nvidia_dx9 output, so I don't think your conclusion is correct, there is some other factor involved. The code paths for a fix existing vs. not existing are identical when using geo-11, it's just the shaders and textures are modified.

Make sure the fixes are still working properly by running gameFix+geo-11 in SBS mode. Make sure your NVidia DX9 output is working correctly by running the 3D Vision Photo Viewer and look at a full screen image to be sure it's working.

I'd also appreciate it if you would edit the title to not be so inflammatory, as the nvidia_dx9 specific thread demonstrates that is patently false. It helps everyone if we stick to facts, not hyperbole.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

3DNovice wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:25 pm Oops, my bad. I thought these were dx9 games.

I'm well aware of what Geo-11's Nvidia_DX9 output mode is for.

Have you confirmed that the fix works on old driver?

If they are old fixes, have you tried updating to the latest DLL or have you tried the Kai variant. 3DMigoto's DLL has been updated several times for
compatibility issues and functionality.

You, also might check to see if the game has updated from 32 bit to 64bit.We've had this happen on several games, unfortunately with the some shaderhackers having retired,
there is no way to update the fix on the blog for us, only a few people can get into existing fixes to change the download by updating the DLL.
No worries, it's all good :)

With regards to updating the fixes, I always uninstall them via 3D FM, delete the downloaded cache (via 3D FM), then re-download and re-install (via 3D FM), and I always select "yes" when 3D FM prompts me to update 3DMigoto to the latest version which 3D FM currently reports as v1.3.16.41. I also never create a backup of hotkeys or 3D config when uninstalling the fixes and I never restore any backups either. I do it as "from scratch" as possible.

I've been using these fixes for a while with a non-Geo-11 setup using both driver v425.xx and v452.xx (2080 Ti). 3D gets activated and working fine with and without the fixes installed.
bo3bber wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:22 pm That's the correct setup for getting a game running with nvidia_dx9 output mode. I can't explain your negative results here. The mode is working for the majority of games I try, maybe 60% of them.

There is not technical reason why a game fix would break the nvidia_dx9 output, so I don't think your conclusion is correct, there is some other factor involved. The code paths for a fix existing vs. not existing are identical when using geo-11, it's just the shaders and textures are modified.

Make sure the fixes are still working properly by running gameFix+geo-11 in SBS mode. Make sure your NVidia DX9 output is working correctly by running the 3D Vision Photo Viewer and look at a full screen image to be sure it's working.
I wrote the steps I did which you confirmed are all correct therefore how could my conclusion be incorrect? OK, I'll try with SBS mode. I would assume Nvidia DX9 output mode is working correctly though or else how would I have had Geo-11 working correctly - when no 3D fixes are installed - in the first place?

I'll do all the tests you mentioned though anyway. Would you like me to film this? I can if you'd like...Let me know.
bo3bber wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:22 pmI'd also appreciate it if you would edit the title to not be so inflammatory, as the nvidia_dx9 specific thread demonstrates that is patently false. It helps everyone if we stick to facts, not hyperbole.
Inflammatory? I simply said "Geo-11 nvidia_dx9 output works ONLY when no 3D Fixes are installed". What is inflammatory there? If you mean the all-caps for the word "only" well I was trying to accentuate that word because I didn't want people mis-reading the title as NV DX9 Output Mode doesn't work at all. I'll update the title getting rid of the caps and being more specific.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Geo-11 Nvidia_DX9 Output Mode only working for me when no 3D Fixes are installed - tried 7 games

Post by 3DNovice »

spin1
Cross Eyed!

Re: Geo-11 Nvidia_DX9 Output Mode only working for me when no 3D Fixes are installed - tried 7 games

Post by spin1 »

Here are the tests for some of the games, bo3bber, including SBS mode tests.

Assetto Corsa
DX9 Output Mode + no 3D fixes:
- during loading screen, it looks like monitor attempts to go into 3D mode then game loading screen closes and get kicked back to the game's GUI

DX9 Output Mode + 3D fixes:
- game loads fine as I can hear the cars racing around the track but I cannot see anything as I get visually stuck at the loading screen

SBS Mode + 3D fixes:
- exact same result as DX9 Output Mode + 3D fixes, ie. game loads fine as I can hear the cars racing around the track but I cannot see anything as I get visually stuck at the loading screen

Dirt 4
- Geo-11 seems to be activated as the green separation (0.8) and convergence (3.00) #s show on the bottom (and more at the top)
- monitor is in 3D mode (I can tell from the way it looks)
- actual image itself is 2D though even after increasing separation from 80 to 150
- when game track is loaded and ready to drive, game does something similar to Assetto Corsa where the game is running and responding to your commands but it's visually frozen

- screen switches into brighter mode that I have set for 3D
- 3D emitter turns on
- monitor is not in 3d mode (I can tell by how the image looks)
- no Geo-11 writing on the screen
- game itself runs, looks, acts, etc. identical from simply running the game in pure 2D mode

SBS Mode + 3D fixes:
- sbs mode activated as monitor is split in half with image on each side
- monitor is not in 3D mode
- 3D emitter is not on
- Geo-11 green writing not visible
- game CTD's when trying to load a track with an access violation d3d11.dll error (can provide exact details upon request)

Dirt Rally 1
- Geo-11 seems to be activated as the green separation (0.8) and convergence (3.00) #s show on the bottom (and more at the top)
- something's wrong though as the top set of Geo-11 writing looks corrupted or as if there are #s and letters on top of other #s and letters, I think I can make out the word "skip" at the very end but that's it
- monitor is in 3D mode
- game stays on a black screen upon launching game. I can here the game's intro and menu music playing but screen stays all black (with green Geo-11 writing).

- monitor in 2D mode
- Geo-11 not on
- emitter not on
- game runs in regular 2D mode

SBS Mode + 3D fixes:
- monitor in 2D mode
- Geo-11 not on
- emitter not on

I use the task manager to see if the EXE is 32-bit or 64-bit. It looks like only Dirt Rally 1 is 32-bit so I made sure to use the Geo-11 files from it's 32-bit folder for DR1.

I'll update this post with the remaining 4 games I mentioned in the OP (Dirt Rally 2.0, Project Cars 1, Project Cars 2, RFactor 2) in the next few hours and possibly other games (Wreckfest, F1 2019). I'm really curious about Wreckfest since another user said it works (current NV drivers and Geo-11 in DX9 Output Mode) so I should get the same results if there's no issue on my end.
Last edited by spin1 on Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

3DNovice wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:36 pm The altered DLLs from Kai are in a World of Warcraft fix and The Evil Within fix (each one is slightly different), he also uploaded a 32bit DLL somewhere here on the forums. These help with games using Microsoft's Flip Present method of window creation

The latest 3DMigoto DLLs for both 32/64 bit can be found at
https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/releases
Yup. 1.3.16...same version that 3D FM installs.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

hey Spin1 which 3dmonitor or solution do you use?
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

The_Nephilim wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:35 am hey Spin1 which 3dmonitor or solution do you use?
Hi Nephilim,

Short answer:
3x Dell S2716DG setup being most likely upgraded to a 3x Asus PG27VQ (AKA PG27V) setup quite soon.

Long answer:
I've been using a 3x Dell S2716DG setup for years but recently purchased an Asus PG27VQ (AKA PG27V) along with a Samsung Odyssey G7 for 3D testing. I can't get the 3D to stay in sync with the Sammy G7 though so, sadly, I won't be going with that unless something changes (very desperate to get the Sammy G7 working, willing to pay $500 - $1000 if someone can).

I'll probably be upgrading the Dells to the Asus setup as the Asus has more image options during 3D Vision (brightness, contrast, RGB lvls, dynamic contrast with 2 sub-options, black equalizer lvls 0-3, and 3 gamma options) VS the Dell (brightness, contrast, RGB lvls). PG27VQ is also brighter in 3D mode (probably the brightest official 3D Vision PC monitor ever). Regarding crosstalk, it's difficult to say which one has less; it kind of depends what the colours are and where on the screen. Sometimes I think the Dell has less, other times I think the Asus has less. They're different. I wish I had 2 PCs to test them simultaneously.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Inflammatory? I simply said "Geo-11 nvidia_dx9 output works ONLY when no 3D Fixes are installed". What is inflammatory there? If you mean the all-caps for the word "only" well I was trying to accentuate that word because I didn't want people mis-reading the title as NV DX9 Output Mode doesn't work at all. I'll update the title getting rid of the caps and being more specific.
This might be ESL, but the earlier phrasing makes it sound like you cannot use any HelixMod fix with geo-11, not just for these games, and that is misleading. Thanks for editing the title.

I've tested both Dirt Rally and Dirt 4 here, and neither work in nvidia_dx9 mode for me either, using latest driver 516.59. This is a work in progress, and games always do twisted stuff, so it takes awhile to work out the problems. This seems like some CodeMaster weirdness. BTW- the reason to test using SBS when nvidia_dx9 fails is to use the simplest possible output path. That helps narrow down the problem, because if sbs fails, then it's not nvidia_dx9 problem, it's geo-11 problem.

The nvidia_dx9 is a particularly hard output mode, because sharing information across to dx9 from dx11 is weird, with two DX APIs running in the same window, then compounded by needing to use NVidia's freakball 3D Vision Direct Mode there, while not interfering with the dx11 game that is running. I've just spent 5 days working on a similar problem, where latest versions of Unity will only show a black screen as output, but only in nvidia_dx9 mode- and I don't have a solution yet. Suffice to say... it's pretty damn hard.

Sorry I can't be of help here, but we do the best we can.
Last edited by bo3bber on Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

3DNovice wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:36 pm The altered DLLs from Kai are in a World of Warcraft fix and The Evil Within fix (each one is slightly different), he also uploaded a 32bit DLL somewhere here on the forums. These help with games using Microsoft's Flip Present method of window creation

The latest 3DMigoto DLLs for both 32/64 bit can be found at
https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/releases
Just to fill in a gap here- these DLLs from Kai are no longer necessary when using geo-11, because I've added those alternate modes as options in the d3dx.ini file. You can now directly set the swap mode for the dx11 swap chain in the Device section. Kai and masterotaku are using this new feature already to fix some games that weren't previously working.

If you just need 3Dmigoto functionality, you can set force_stereo=0, and still use the new swap effect forcing.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

bo3bber wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:08 pm
This might be ESL, but the earlier phrasing makes it sound like you cannot use any HelixMod fix with geo-11, not just for these games, and that is misleading. Thanks for editing the title.

I've tested both Dirt Rally and Dirt 4 here, and neither work in nvidia_dx9 mode for me either, using latest driver 516.59. This is a work in progress, and games always do twisted stuff, so it takes awhile to work out the problems. This seems like some CodeMaster weirdness.

The nvidia_dx9 is a particularly hard output mode, because sharing information across to dx9 from dx11 is weird, with two DX APIs running in the same window, then compounded by needing to use NVidia's freakball 3D Vision Direct Mode there, while not interfering with the dx11 game that is running. I've just spent 5 days working on a similar problem, where latest versions of Unity will only show a black screen as output, but only in nvidia_dx9 mode- and I don't have a solution yet. Suffice to say... it's pretty damn hard.

Sorry I can't be of help here, but we do the best we can.
No problem and you're welcome. The work is incredibly appreciated by me and, as I'm sure you know, many, many others around the world (even the tons of people who don't post here or even have an account at all). The work, time, and effort you and others put in is an example to the entire modding / game "hacking" community in general.
BigErn77
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by BigErn77 »

spin1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:09 pm Here are the tests for some of the games, bo3bber, including SBS mode tests.

Assetto Corsa
- during loading screen, it looks like monitor attempts to go into 3D mode then game loading screen closes and get kicked back to the game's GUI

- game loads fine as I can hear the cars racing around the track but I cannot see anything as I get visually stuck at the loading screen

SBS Mode + 3D fixes:
- exact same result as DX9 Output Mode + 3D fixes, ie. game loads fine as I can hear the cars racing around the track but I cannot see anything as I get visually stuck at the loading screen

Dirt 4
- actual image itself is 2D though even after increasing separation from 80 to 150
- when game track is loaded and ready to drive, game does something similar to Assetto Corsa where the game is running and responding to your commands but it's visually frozen

- 3D emitter turns on
- game itself runs, looks, acts, etc. identical from simply running the game in pure 2D mode

SBS Mode + 3D fixes:
- 3D emitter is not on
- game CTD's when trying to load a track with an access violation d3d11.dll error (can provide exact details upon request)

Dirt Rally 1
- something's wrong though as the top set of Geo-11 writing looks corrupted or as if there are #s and letters on top of other #s and letters, I think I can make out the word "skip" at the very end but that's it
- monitor is in 3D mode
- game stays on a black screen upon launching game. I can here the game's intro and menu music playing but screen stays all black (with green Geo-11 writing).

- monitor in 2D mode
- Geo-11 not on
- emitter not on

SBS Mode + 3D fixes:
- monitor in 2D mode
- Geo-11 not on
- emitter not on

I use the task manager to see if the EXE is 32-bit or 64-bit. It looks like only Dirt Rally 1 is 32-bit so I made sure to use the Geo-11 files from it's 32-bit folder for DR1.

I'll update this post with the remaining 4 games I mentioned in the OP (Dirt Rally 2.0, Project Cars 1, Project Cars 2, RFactor 2) in the next few hours and possibly other games (Wreckfest, F1 2019). I'm really curious about Wreckfest since another user said it works (current NV drivers and Geo-11 in DX9 Output Mode) so I should get the same results if there's no issue on my end.
In the cases where the game doesn't seem to enable 3DV stereoscopy, have you tried Ctrl-T, wait 1 sec, and then Ctrl-T again? I routinely have to do that for the 3DV stereoscopy to 'kick in'.
Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX3080, 32GB ram, Windows 10 21H2, nVidia 516.59, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, USB 3D Vision Emitter
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

BigErn77 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:41 pm
spin1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:09 pm Here are the tests for some of the games, bo3bber, including SBS mode tests.

Assetto Corsa

SBS Mode + 3D fixes:

Dirt 4

- 3D emitter turns on

SBS Mode + 3D fixes:
- 3D emitter is not on

Dirt Rally 1
- monitor is in 3D mode

- monitor in 2D mode
- Geo-11 not on
- emitter not on

SBS Mode + 3D fixes:
- monitor in 2D mode
- Geo-11 not on
- emitter not on

In the cases where the game doesn't seem to enable 3DV stereoscopy, have you tried Ctrl-T, wait 1 sec, and then Ctrl-T again? I routinely have to do that for the 3DV stereoscopy to 'kick in'.
Honestly, I can't remember.

Are you using 3D Vision with the monitor in your sig? If so, how is it running? Sync issues? Brightness? Crosstalk? A couple of us are trying to get 3D working with the Samsung Odyssey G7. We got it working but it's not really playable because of a sync issue that cycles between very bad crosstalk at the top with the rest of the screen looking beautiful (ie. no crosstalk) then that bad crosstalk area starts disappearing at the top and appearing at the bottom of the screen, etc. It's a repeating cycle that keeps going.
Cowboybob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cowboybob »

Hey spin any updates on those other games, for me rf2 displays dark in 1 eye.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Cowboybob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cowboybob »

Still would like to get rfactor 2 working,

Tis likely a StereoFlagsDX10 issue, set the profile setting as needed

What and how do I do this?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Cowboybob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cowboybob »

Well bugger me. All this time and all I needed to do was alter rfactor 2 graphics from full screen to borderless. Running a benq 27 inch 1080p 3d ready monitor. 2080ti.
Nvidia 425.31 stereo 3d driver with 452.06 graphics driver installed with 3d fix manager.
Game graphics set to high/ ultra everything and maintaining 60fps, 10 cars on track. Compared to mid /high 2msaa and 4af, struggling with 60fps using default Nvidia 3d vision 2.
70 to 80 separation and 0.5 to 0.3 convergence, still fine tuning.
Game looks stunning now using geo-11 6.56.
Thank You to all you geniuses involved in continuing to keep 3d alive!!

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”