Tips for reducing ghosting?

chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Tips for reducing ghosting?

Post by chilledsanity »

I recently ordered an iz3d 22" and when it gets here I'd like to be able to hit the ground running with it. I've seen some reports about how the ghosting can reduced with enough tweaking, so I'd like to know, what should I be tweaking (and I mean besides separation and convergence)? I'm a longtime user of CRT/shutterglasses and ghosting is easily the most negative aspect of the whole experience. If anyone could post tips on what I should do, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I've seen several reports saying that the ghosting "goes away" when using the iz3d for extended periods. Is this true or is it just a myth? I can say with absolute certainty ghosting does not "go away" on a CRT with shutterglasses. It's just as obvious to me after an hour of playing as it is when I first start it. However polarization is different, if it does in fact disappear, what causes that?

Thanks for your comments.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Tips for reducing ghosting?

Post by Likay »

Set the monitor brightness to 40%. Don't worry about the light, you'll see it's plenty of it anyway. Tilt the monitor slight backwards to further decrease the ghosting. This works for me and gives a quite pleasant experience now. Iz3d are developing new glasses to decrease ghosting and color tint which is now in betatest progress. :D
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Got my IZ3D in yesterday as well. I was very surprised at the ghosting. I'll try your tips when i get home. I was running at 75% brightness, so ill cut it down to 40 and see what I get.

In World of Warcraft I could either eliminate near field or far field ghosting, but not both. What levels convergence/separation does everyone else run WoW at?

In movies and still stereoscopic photographs the ghosting was very very bad. I was seeing red/blue ghosting on either side of the image. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some initial setup calibration that needs to be done?
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Tilt your monitor backwards - that helps for me.

I don't reduce brightness, but tilting is important.

Regards,
Neil
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

One other thing I noticed. If i tilt my monitor down to far my screen turns white/grey and has solid white lines running across the screen. Anyone else have that problem?
sharky

Post by sharky »

hi!

obviously ghosting does not "go away".. :) its just that many people's brain (me, neil, likay and many others but sadly not everyone) starts to ignore it after a while, so basically you see it if you think of it, but else if youre just playing it is like if there wouldnt be ghosting.

but its subjective.

regards

igor
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

Well thanks for the advice everyone, I'll try it out.

Sharky: Is the adjustment something unique to using polarized S-3D or is it simply relative to the person? Again, I NEVER stopped noticing it with shutter glasses and a CRT and this would be after hours of playing.
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

My IZ3D died...

http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if having a defective monitor made my ghosting extra bad.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ouch!

You are probably right!

When you get your monitor back in working order, post the games you have tried. You can compare the results with fellow members.

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The colors used in games are very important for ghost reduction too. For example source games overall seems to ghost a lot more than others. Tomb raider games works really good with the iz3d though. Lighter colors and brighter scenes causes more ghosting but it may also be an overall experience.
And as Sharky said: After a while it seems like the eyes somehow gets used to it and simply more or less ignores it.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Ok I got my new monitor in and working. Ghosting so far is much better. However, I'm still having issues with movies and photos. JPS files work really well. I ghosting is there but, its minimal. What is really bothering me is say for example one of the still photos that Yuri made of the stairs contest. I right click on the file and save it as a JPEG. When I bring it up in sView or IZ3D Media Player i get terrible ghosting. There is a slightly red and slightly blue shadow to the left and right. On JPS files the ghosting is single colored and much easier to ignore.
Is this normal?
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

jps and jpg should be the same. jps are only jpg renamed to jps. It must be the picture content.

I took two pictures through the glasses on my iZ3D monitor of the picture from yuri and attached them to the post. The monitor was tilted slightly backward. My camera had more trouble getting the right picture correctly, the hue should not be that blue (it's only slightly bluer to the naked eye). You can barely see some ghosting of the guy holding the gun but it does not clearly appear as red in one eye and blue in the other like you describe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

That pic makes me so sick I can't look at it thru IZ3D. Cross eyed it looks fine. I have to have some settings wrong or something. Are there any settings in IZ3D Media Player I should try.

Take this stairs pic for example. http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/download/fi ... &mode=view. Another example would be the Mount Rushmore pic in the gallery (http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... ?pos=-2059) I can view the pic crosseyed in 2D Side by Side fine. But when I Change output to IZ3D i get the ghost. About 1/2 an inch to the right of the stairs there is a red hue ghost and to the left there is a blue hue ghost. This is with a black background. Tried tilting the monitor back and lowering brightness to 40 or below, with no effect. It seems to me, that this is an issue with how the IZ3D takes in a split image and displays it. The Static test image works fantastically, no ghosting. I had to play with the dynamic a bit, but got it to work as well. The default test Image in sView has ghosting in the sky but its 1 color not red/blue and its something I can learn to ignore. The red/blue on other still images is whats getting me.

I read somewhere that you can change contrast and brightness on the front screen to help this. Seems like it was a post by Sharky, but I can't seem to find it now.
Last edited by Killigath on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Try viewing the images with sView. I find the default convergence setting uncomfortable, and that contributes to the ghosting because my brain can't fuse the images.

The Rushmore pick has no problems for me. There is some ghosting, but minor.

The stairs' ghosting is most noticeable at the bottom, but not at the top. Reduce the convergence, and it should be more comfortable.

Regards,
Neil
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

I'm going to try to uninstall IZ3D drivers and Nvidia GPU drivers tonight and re-install everything fresh.

My problem is not that there is ghosting, its that the ghosting is red and blue on either side. The "demo.jps" default sView file works with no red/blue, ghosting is there but its clear. All other images I view have a red hue to the right and a blue hue to the left where the clear ghost image should be. It looks alot like anaglyph, but color is much much better than true anaglyph.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I do get a bit of blue on the right above the black for the right eye and a bit of red to the left over the black for the left eye. It's extremely faint for the red and a bit more visible for the blue. You can see both on the pictures I posted if you look carefully.

Does the problem you talk about show in the two pictures I posted and to the same amount?

Out of curiosity, do you use two DVI connectors to connect to the iZ3D monitor OR one DVI and one VGA connector? I use two DVI connectors.
Are the two panels set to their native resolution (1680x1050) and to 32 bit?
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Tril,

I used 2 DVI (no VGA).

Both screens are set to 1680x1050 32-bit, 60Hertz.
(Remote dialed into my PC to check my settings.)

I did notice that inside Nvidia Control Panel > Display > Manage custom resolutions
I had 2 custom resolutions in the list, one for 720p and one for 1080p. Also had checkbox "Treat as HDTV" checked. Unchecked it and deleted the two custom resolutions. Will see if that made any difference when I get home from work today.
It's extremely faint for the red and a bit more visible for the blue.
For me the red is alot more visible than the blue. But both are there and distracting. Both appear semi-translucent, but the red is dominant and more solid.
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Did the uninstall of nvidia graphics drivers and iz3d. Reinstalled. Helped a good bit.
Also closed each eye one at a time and tinkered with the front/back contrast, brightness, color. Got most of the red out of my left eye. Its not perfect, but it will work. Can't wait to test out the new beta glasses.

Played WoW for about 3 hours last night in 3D. WOW is all I can say. Had auto convergence turned on. There are some places where ghosting is noticeable, but when I was playing and got into the game I started noticing it less and less. After playing that extended period of time I had zero eye strain. The 3D effect especially depth is fantastic. It really adds to the "your there" immersion. I could not tell that there was a performance hit at all, granted it is WoW and I am on a decent PC. Time to start installing some of my older games and playing them :)

Here are some Screenshots I took that show some good stereo effect. Uploaded to gallery too.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... ?pos=-2080
http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... ?pos=-2081

Return to “iZ3D Legacy Drivers”