Nvidia 3D vision on non-3D certified 4k projector

Jeb
One Eyed Hopeful

Nvidia 3D vision on non-3D certified 4k projector

Post by Jeb »

Hello,

Just got myself a set of Nvidia 3D glasses+emitter and having some problems.
I have a 4K LED projector (LG HU70LA), which is capable of 1080p@120Hz and have tried getting it to work together with a PC with 3D vision installed (Nvidia Quadro 600 / GTX 560). It is connected by displaylink -> Hdmi adapter. Note: This prrojector has no official 3D capabilities of any kind or any dlp-link stuff (due to LG cost savings I suppose, even though it supports 120hz).

It seems I am able to get it somewhat working and installed but if I try to select "generic CRT" monitor mode and run the set-up wizard I still see overlapping figures in the test. I can see the screen flickering between them and the glasses are working but I suppose there is some refresh rates not matching up. If I try to put on a SBS clip in Nvidia 3D vision player I can see the glasses connecting but it is as if they are only synced correctly when there is no double vision at all present (without glasses).

What am I doing wrong? Is it completely impossible to get a LED DLP projector working with Generic CRT mode? I thought it should technically be possible?

I have also seen references to an "NV timing" application. Is this something that could solve my problem?

I would be eternally grateful if someone could give me some tips in this valuable forum.

Thanks,
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Nvidia 3D vision on non-3D certified 4k projector

Post by The_Nephilim »

Well I was looking at the Specs there does not seem to be any 3D capability. Not sure but if that is true there is no way to get this working in 3D. Not sure where you heard it could work or thought it could work..

'Just because it is 120Hz does not mean 3D capable. There are 4K 3D Projectors that are capable of working in 3D @1080P @120hz but this is not one of them.. search the forums there was a big thread on those 4K 3D Projectors that worked in 1080P @ 120hz in 3D..
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
Jeb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jeb »

The_Nephilim wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:55 pm Well I was looking at the Specs there does not seem to be any 3D capability. Not sure but if that is true there is no way to get this working in 3D. Not sure where you heard it could work or thought it could work..

'Just because it is 120Hz does not mean 3D capable. There are 4K 3D Projectors that are capable of working in 3D @1080P @120hz but this is not one of them.. search the forums there was a big thread on those 4K 3D Projectors that worked in 1080P @ 120hz in 3D..
Thank you for the response. Yes, you are right that it does not have official 3D capabilities but I have seen threads about people using old CRT sceens through "Generic CRT" mode in the Nvidia drivers as long as the screen is 120hz, which is a mode that has also worked for projectors acc. to some older posts.

The 3D vision does work partially for me, I can see that the glasses are starting and that the screen can show double image. Problem is, the timing is off. During the nvidia screen test, I can see both geometries flashing quickly without glasses and when I put the glasses on they appear as a non-flashing image but both shown at the same time with both eyes. (Meaning I guess that the image and glasses are running at the same frequency since with glasses=image not flickering, and without glasses=image flickering.

I guess there should not be any physical limiting factors for using a DLP projector at 120hz that is not 3D capable as long as the images shown are in sequence (first frame left side, next frame right side and so on at 120hz, leading to effectively a 60hz playback).

I actuallt found this thread now: [url]viewtopic.php?t=23330/[url]

In that thread someone experimented with LED displays, but I guess situtation should be even better with a LED DLP projector since you don't have the same issue with pixels changing over the whole screen quickly enough? Maybe I need to try this NVtiming application.

Any more input would be very valuable if someone has some ideas.
Jeb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jeb »

Another update:

I realized I had an old LG PB60G LED projector (720p) which in fact supports some type of 3D. Lo and behold, this actually worked together with the "Generic CRT" option and the Nvidia glasses when forcing 120hz, with only some very slight ghosting. I realized at the same time that it seems like the 120hz is smoother on this projector than on the 4k one, which makes me believe maybe it has in fact been running at only 60hz all this time.

Is it possible for Windows/Nvidia to show 120hz in settings but output actually being lower in real life?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jeb »

3DNovice wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:16 pm It must be able to display 120Hz, some projectors will accept 120Hz, but only provide 60 FPS output.
The only way to test AFAIK, is the 120Hz UFO test on BlurBusters.

Of course DLP Link glasses are a no go, since there must be software onboard the projector to flash the DLP Link sync.

The problem that you are likely running into, is that you need to create a CVT Reduced Blank timing in NVCP Create Custom Resolutions. This
is what was needed on both ViewSonic LED and a LG LED Projectors that I have.

Thank you for the good info.
I have created a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel with 120hz and CVT reduced blank mode. It is activated and acc. to Windows I am also running 120hz, but the image says otherwise. The UFO test on blurbusters says 120hz, but to me the 60hz and 120hz UFO looks identical so it is as if 120hz is not actually output for some reason. It says in the manual that 120hz is supported at 1080p for the projector so I am a bit lost.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Jeb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jeb »

3DNovice wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:31 am Does it have any interpolation settings or motion/blur reduction in the PJ menu?
Or a Game mode or a PC mode? Try different settings.

Have you confirmed a working system on a different display? Sometimes the driver can be corrupted and the test will fail.

Have you tried the glasses on upside down? DLP Link glasses can typically be reversed by holding down the power on button briefly.
DLP Link glasses will only work if the PJ has a Frame Sequential setting, this used to be called "PC Ready" on older projectors.

Note: You probably have two HDMI inputs, one is 3DTV Play compatible using version HDMI 1.4, the second is HDMI 2.0 and must be used for 1080P@120Hz
Yes I have tried turning everything off in the projector (Real Cinema, True Motion etc.). I have also tried activating and deactivating HDMI extended color mode and instant game respons for HDMI in the projector. I read somewhere yesterday (can't find the link/post) that some OLED's for example can be tricky to get working with 120hz from PC because they are expecting 10 or 12 bit color and not the standard 8 bit from the resolution in Windows. Maybe this is something I need to further investigate.

The 3D system definitely works, since I tried it with the 720p PB60G projector in Generic CRT mode. I can get a 120hz and 3D image with stereoscopic player through that together with Nvidia 3D vision. It is just as if 120hz is the problem here with the newer projector.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Jeb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jeb »

3DNovice wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:56 am Disregard the DLP glasses reference, I was also answering another post in the other sub forum and got mixed up, lol.

Just make sure that you are using a HDMI 2.0 input port. HDMI 1.4 does not have the bandwidth for 1080P@120Hz.

GL, I'm out of ideas.
Thank you very much for the input and tips. I will report back if I get it working or if whether I give up :) Seeing that the Nvidia glasses and emitter worked through generic crt with the older projector at least gives me some hope.

Anyone else also feel free to give opinions or ideas.
Jeb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jeb »

Update:

I am convinced that the problem is in fact that I can't seem to get a true 120Hz image from the LG HU70LS even though it supports it in the manual. I can force 120Hz with Nvidia and Custom Resolution Utility, but I am for some strange reason only seeing a 60Hz image even if Windows says it is 120Hz. In the Blurbusters UFO-test it says 120Hz, but borh 60Hz and 120Hz UFO looks identical with the same amount of blur.

It is only possible for me to set "HDMI / HDTV" resolutions in nvidia so I'm wondering if that is the issue. Anyway it is incredibly annoying. I can get the glasses going dark and it almost looks like a 3D image, but it is as if only one image is visible through SBS in stereoscopic player as if the projector skips every other frame. I have also tried lower resolutions at 120Hz but without success.

If someone has some ideas feel free to give input.
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

You should definitely be able to see the difference between 60hz and 120hz with the naked eye.
UFO test is showing 120hz and all is green?
I'm not familiar with that projector, is there an info menu that shows the input resolution? For earlier 4k DLP pixel shifters you had to enabled 'silent' mode or disable all 4k enhanements. They are native 1920x1080 so any 4k pixel shiting needs to be disabled.
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Jeb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Jeb »

3DNovice wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:56 pm While not an exact confirmation, you can tell the difference between 120Hz and 60 Hz by moving the mouse cursor side to side rapidly.
The cursor should be visible twice as much in 120Hz, say if at 60Hzthe cursor images are spaced at 1 inch, at 120Hz it should roughly be 1/2 inch.
Yes, you are right. I first relied on only my own perception of refresh rates and could tell that the image did not "feel" 120Hz. Since then, I did the blurbusters UFO test which says 120Hz, but the 60Hz and 120Hz bars move identically with same amount of blur.
russellk wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:26 pm You should definitely be able to see the difference between 60hz and 120hz with the naked eye.
UFO test is showing 120hz and all is green?
I'm not familiar with that projector, is there an info menu that shows the input resolution? For earlier 4k DLP pixel shifters you had to enabled 'silent' mode or disable all 4k enhanements. They are native 1920x1080 so any 4k pixel shiting needs to be disabled.
Yes, the UFO test says 120Hz without any obvious issues, but the 60Hz and 120Hz UFO's look identical there. I have tried finding the menu you speak of thay informs input resolution and information, but it seems like it is not available info without accessing some "HDMI diagnostics menu" on most LG TV's which I guess might be also the case for this projector.

I even tried contacting LG and discussing, and while the support guy was patient and helpful he had to contact his "Tech team" for the questions and they were seemingly lost why the output frequency would be different from the input. Seemed like they did not even believe the projector was 120Hz capable until I showed them their own manual :lol: . So my theory is that maybe there actually isn't any 120Hz output support built in, but only input support...showing every other frame. I am not so technically knowledgeable about display/projector technology so this I don't even know if should be possible. But I am assuming that something has to do to with the way this pixel-shifting is working and whether that is activated/deactivated for a 1080p resolution to display the correcr amount of frames per second.
Metal-o-Holic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Metal-o-Holic »

How do you get a generic crt mode enabled ?
My ”display” is causing The control panels to show 3dtv Play.
I could install edid but i dont have a hacked edid that supports 1440p/hdr/rgb444 10 bit.
So i could try the generic Crt mode as my hacked edid also
Is cripled when comparing to the features my display Support.
And we all know 3Dtv Play mode is limited.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”