How to get started with 3DTV gaming for a newbie?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
cyberdogg
One Eyed Hopeful

How to get started with 3DTV gaming for a newbie?

Post by cyberdogg »

Sorry if I sound like a n00b, but MTSB's 3D Buyers Guide is over 12 years old.

Currently, I don't own a PC, only a 2018 Mac mini connected to 55" XBR850C Sony UHD TV (2015, firmware updated to the latest with "static" HDR10) with IR-integrated 3D capacity for coach potato internet surfing.

I don't think Mac mini is capable of Windows 11 boot via Boot Camp to play PC games (i.e. first person) with affixed 3D effects due to overheating issue, not to mention 'low-end' integrated graphics (unless I afford to buy an eGPU via Thunderbolt/USB-C, if that might help to combine with Boot Camp).

I recently tried watching programs in 3-D with a bought yet expensive manufacturer-specific 3-D active glass pair imported from Japan (discontinued for years hence high price) that includes, via interlibrary loan with postage fees paid for, Avatar 3D, Ghosts of the Abyss 3D and DeepSea Challenger 3D, and it's quite impressive.

Now, I'd love to jump into 3D gaming, but I wonder where to begin. Here are my questions...

Do I need the following equipment to connect to current 3D UHDTV that can be paired with same manufacturer-brand 3D active glass pair (that must work via IR as connected):
  • High-powered gaming PC (Windows 11 installed) with the NVIDIA graphic/GPU card (required 3DVision or TV Play), with specific graphic cards to avoid due to forcibly removing 3D capacity? Minimum recommended for RAM amount (say, 8 GB or 16 GB) for graphic and general?
    • Have technology improved and evolved that it's possible to move on from NVIDIA 3DVision/TV Play to Geo-11 on any mid- to high-end graphic card by now or anytime soon?
    • Which recommended NVIDIA GPU card (affordable budget up to refurbished budgeted such as 2080) that can ably handle, say, 3D versions for Alien: Isolation, Bioshock, God of War and Resident Evil 5/Revelations without juddering, lagging and crashing?
    • Where can I purchase the PC games lawfully to integrate with installed 3D program listed as fixed and updated? Used or new PC copies with serial key found on ebay/OfferUp/Craig's List (name other places to find used PC games with serial number included) and/or available via Steam? (Generally, video game shops refuse to buy used PC games to sell due to missing/incorrect serial key/compatibility/hardware obsolescence/value depreciation issues)
(I haven't played PC gaming since 2007; I remember playing Bioshock, Company of Heroes and Medal of Honor: Airborne; I never finished these three games and sold custom-built PC [I built it myself for fun, my second and last time doing it as a former CompTIA+ student in 2000] shortly after.)

Hopefully there will be FAQs for the newbie/n00b beginners to get started in 3D gaming via 3D monitor or 3D HDTV/UHD TV, to alleviate the confusion about the current minimum (at least for the recent 3D-fixed PC games that are CPU/RAM/GPU-hog) requirements for PC especially requiring 3D-capable graphic card until geo-11 is fully developed.

Thanks in advance for the hint.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”