geo-11 VR output

bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

geo-11 VR output

Post by bo3bber »

Just finished building a new version v0.6.10, and posted it to the blog. This version includes a direct VR connection now to the katanga app that comes as part of HelixVision. If you don't have HelixVision, you can always use tab or sbs outputs for VR output.

To use the app, we need to launch it manually with command line parameters to tell it what game to find. We are not currently able to update the HelixVision app itself, so for now we'll use the manual approach.
  • Find your HelixVision game directory, and go to Tools->Katanga.
  • Make a shortcut of the Katanga.exe app. This is a Unity VR app.
  • Drag the shortcut someplace more handy, like the root of your game, or the desktop.
  • Get Properties on the shortcut.
  • In the Target field, add two parameters after the katanga.exe path:
    • --game-path "c:\your\path\to\game.exe"
    • --launch-type DX11Exe
  • Edit the d3dxdm.ini to set direct_mode = katanga_vr. Also put dm_separation = 20, 80 is too high for this big screen.
  • Launch your game however you want. Game should launch in TAB mode. The game window just shows TAB output to indicate it is in stereo mode, but katanga receives full-sbs images.
  • Make sure katanga is not already running, but SteamVR can be running.
  • Double click that shortcut to launch kataga in waiting mode, and katanga should automatically connect and show stereo.
Here is an example full Target specification as setup for Witcher3. Your file paths will of course be different.

W:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\HelixVision\Tools\Katanga\katanga.exe --game-path "W:\Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64\witcher3.exe" --launch-type DX11Exe

You can also launch these from a command line or batch file. Sorry this is not super convenient but it's early days. This is has not been, how do you say, been extensively tested. In fact, it's hot off the digital presses. However I did test it in these games to cover different game engines and launch types, and all were working well:
  • Witcher 3, GoG version.
  • Batman Telltale Series - Epic Game Store version.
  • Headlander
  • Arkham Knight - Steam version
  • The Flame in the Flood - UE4 game
  • Control
  • QUBE2
  • BlackTheFall - Unity game.
  • Prey - finally good performance?
You will probably want to change the default separation in d3dxdm.ini. 80 is very high for a HelixVision experience, 20 works better for me.
You will probably want to set the game to run in windowed mode. katanga and geo-11 won't care, and this makes it more reliable for alt-tab.
You will probably want to enable vsync in the game- if it's set to free run, it will burn all GPU power on frames that are not seen.
You might want to manually set the frame rate limiter in NVidia control panel for the game. Normally HelixVision does this for katanga.
You most likely want to use 1080p for your game resolution. Higher than that typically is not worth GPU cost in VR display.

Please add games you've tried whether successful or not. It helps people know what is working and what to expect.
Last edited by bo3bber on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: geo-11 VR output

Post by RAGEdemon »

Cheers bo3b; this is awesome... I don't have the words, so I'll do a smiley: :'-)
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Do we change output mode to katanga_vr, or leave it SBS?

Either way, I am getting fatal error: COMException in katanga
Last edited by RAGEdemon on Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
BazzaLB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BazzaLB »

Not sure what I am missing
I setup the Katanga shortcut as outlined

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\HelixVision\Tools\Katanga\katanga.exe --game-path "E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\bin\x64\witcher3.exe" --launch-type DX11Exe

I set the output mode in d3dxdm.ini as "direct_mode = katanga_vr"

I fired up the shortcut. Katanga loads.. I start Witcher 3 from Steam and it runs in TAB mode. I dont see anything in the headset except the std Katanga startup screen.

Did I miss something?
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

BazzaLB wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:42 am Not sure what I am missing
I setup the Katanga shortcut as outlined

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\HelixVision\Tools\Katanga\katanga.exe --game-path "E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\bin\x64\witcher3.exe" --launch-type DX11Exe

I set the output mode in d3dxdm.ini as "direct_mode = katanga_vr"

I fired up the shortcut. Katanga loads.. I start Witcher 3 from Steam and it runs in TAB mode. I dont see anything in the headset except the std Katanga startup screen.

Did I miss something?
Nope that should work. Try the other way around, launch Witcher3 first, then katanga via the shortcut.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

RAGEdemon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:41 am Do we change output mode to katanga_vr, or leave it SBS?

Either way, I am getting fatal error: COMException in katanga
Change to katanga_vr as output mode. It will show on screen as TAB, but will be sending frames to katanga.

For the COMexception- make sure that HelixVision is working normally first. That's a setup problem that only happens if it hasn't been used I think. If you keep getting it, uninstall HelixVision, delete remaining folder, then reinstall.
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

bo3bber wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:44 am Nope that should work. Try the other way around, launch Witcher3 first, then katanga via the shortcut.
Same result I'm afraid. Not sure if it matters but I have no 3DV driver installed. only use SBS usually.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

OK - It's a fresh install of HelixVision. Launching, 3DFM complains of disabled 3DVision drivers. Presumably 3DV needs to be off? Thanks

Shortcut looks like:

Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\HelixVision\Tools\Katanga\katanga.exe --game-path "S:\Games\Psychonauts2\Psychonauts2\Binaries\Win64\Psychonauts2-Win64-Shipping.exe" --launch-type DX11Exe

Katanga window launched via HelixVision startup works ok. Hmmmm....
Last edited by RAGEdemon on Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

BazzaLB wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:51 am
bo3bber wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:44 am Nope that should work. Try the other way around, launch Witcher3 first, then katanga via the shortcut.
Same result I'm afraid. Not sure if it matters but I have no 3DV driver installed. only use SBS usually.
Should work without 3DV driver installed. I have it installed, but tested on 512.95.

Please post the katanga logs and I'll take a look:
%appdata%\..\LocalLow\Katanga\Katanga\output_log.txt
%appdata%\..\LocalLow\Katanga\Katanga\katanga.log
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

bo3bber wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:55 am [
Should work without 3DV driver installed. I have it installed, but tested on 512.95.

OK, here are the latest logs attached (hopefully :) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Ok, got katanga to open without crashing.

Psychonauts 2 in katanga launches the 10 second 2D intro fine.

When trying to get into the game itself, on screen, the game launched to main menu. Katanga window inside VR and outside turns gray and hangs at this point. "Not responding" with hourglass circle.

Please find attached log files... Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RAGEdemon on Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

RAGEdemon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:07 am Ok, got katanga to open without crashing.

Then the game, as normally happens, exits and launches itself again into the "game" itself, into 3D game world. Katanga window inside VR and outside turns gray and hangs at this point.

Is it the same exe, or a different one for second launch? The one katanga wants is whatever is running after the game is up.

To catch this one, wait for that double launch to finish, then launch katanga and it will hook in.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

BazzaLB wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:06 am
bo3bber wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:55 am [

OK, here are the latest logs attached (hopefully :) )
Logs look normal there. It found the game properly and set up communication. Should have worked.

Make sure katanga is not running before you use the shortcut, it won't restart it or change targets.

Try other games? I don't have any suggestion for W3 here.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

bo3bber wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:11 am
RAGEdemon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:07 am Ok, got katanga to open without crashing.

Then the game, as normally happens, exits and launches itself again into the "game" itself, into 3D game world. Katanga window inside VR and outside turns gray and hangs at this point.

Is it the same exe, or a different one for second launch? The one katanga wants is whatever is running after the game is up.

To catch this one, wait for that double launch to finish, then launch katanga and it will hook in.
Launching katanga after the game properly launches fixed the katanga issue - cheers.

I am launching the game via Losti's Start batch file in his fix - Game looks like there are no fixes applied, and runs at about 5fps at 1280x800.
Launching directly from the exe always results in CTD, even in 3DV mode.

I could try GTA5, if it works using this method?
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

bo3bber wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:15 am
Logs look normal there. It found the game properly and set up communication. Should have worked.

Make sure katanga is not running before you use the shortcut, it won't restart it or change targets.

Try other games? I don't have any suggestion for W3 here.
Don't worry bo3b. It was just me being stupid. The screen was way below my feet so I couldn't see it until I hid the environment. I'm 58.. it just gets worse from here LOL
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

I'm 40. I lose my keys at least 3x a day. I have a wireless beeper to help me find them... sometimes I lose the beeper too :lol:

Getting my hands on Arkham Knight. Hopefully there won’t be much difference between GOG and Steam?

BTW bo3b, Virtual Desktop has full SBS out, if it might be trivial to enable that in geo-11 next to native half-sbs. Maybe helixvision could do that, I don't know. Happy to pay whatever.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Update: Managed to get Psychonauts 2 running in VR! Looks brilliant!

I've made 2 separate installs - one for 3DV, and one for VR so they don't interfere with each other.

The only problem is performance. In 3DV, I am getting solid 60fps at GPU ~60% (1920x1200).
In VR, I am getting lots of stutters and the GPU is maxed all the time at the same resolution. I don't think this is to do with 60fps 3DV cap vs 90fps VR cap - I capped both FPS at 60 within the game.

3DV cuts down FPS by 50% because it needs to render the same frame twice for each eye.
VR does the same, and outputs the frames simultaneously via Full-SBS - the performance cost ought to be around the same. Unfortunately, it seems like it is costing double the performance?

Leaving Katanga running without a game running takes 35% GPU on its own, so that could be a contributing factor.

Otherwise, I turned it down to 1280x800 and uncapped vSync and set FPS to ~90 - fabulous work, super fluid - spectacular even!
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

RAGEdemon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:58 am Update: Managed to get Psychonauts 2 running in VR! Looks brilliant!

I've made 2 separate installs - one for 3DV, and one for VR so they don't interfere with each other.

The only problem is performance. In 3DV, I am getting solid 60fps at GPU ~60% (1920x1200).
In VR, I am getting lots of stutters and the GPU is maxed all the time at the same resolution. I don't think this is to do with 60fps 3DV cap vs 90fps VR cap - I capped both FPS at 60 within the game.

3DV cuts down FPS by 50% because it needs to render the same frame twice for each eye.
VR does the same, and outputs the frames simultaneously via Full-SBS - the performance cost ought to be around the same. Unfortunately, it seems like it is costing double the performance?

Leaving Katanga running without a game running takes 35% GPU on its own, so that could be a contributing factor.

Otherwise, I turned it down to 1280x800 and uncapped vSync and set FPS to ~90 - fabulous work, super fluid - spectacular even!
How did you get Psychonauts 2 to work? Mine always crashes after the intro screens.

I even setup a script so that the game starts first and it waits 10 seconds before firing up Katanga so I can get past the intro screens into main menu, but then it crashes the moment I try to hit a key to "continue".
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Does the game crash or katanga crash?

Katanga was crashing for me on a new helixvision install that I hadn't ran first time yet. After bo3b's suggestion, I ran helixvision to the point where katanga shows the desktop via VR. psychonauts ran fine after launching katanga when the main game menu appears by alt-tabbing out.

How are you starting the game? It crashes for me if I use the \Psychonauts2\Binaries\Win64\Psychonauts2-Win64-Shipping.exe

I have to do Losti'c 00_UE4-UniversalFix-2_Config.cmd first, and then start using 0_Start3D.cmd

Also, I have to make sure the exe fullscreen optimisations are off - they get reset if you move / copy the exe.
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

OK, I can get consistent success if I start the game first (just via steam, I dont have to run Losti scripts as game is already patched). I removed the intro movies as well. Once on main menu, I start my Katanga shortcut which looks for the Psychonauts2-Win64-Shipping.exe. I have to quickly tab back to game before Katanga launches completely (otherwise it crashes with popup dialog Katanga:Plugin Fatal Error - Failed to CreateShaderResourceView 0x887a0005).

It runs perfectly smoothly for me once I am in and running.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Glad you got it working - well done!

Remember to disable VSync and cap your FPS to your HMD's native refresh. It can be done in the ini file here: C:\Users\******\AppData\Local\Psychonauts2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini

The resolutions available will be those supported by your display.

What resolution are you playing at?

Presumably all settings inside game are maxed?

It would be cool to be able to get the fps counter working in-game so we can compare...
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

Thanks for that. I set max fps to 90 and turned off vsync. Seems smoother when turning (but sometimes I am not sure if its placebo taking over after all the tweaking :) )

In game res (ie set in Psychonauts 2 menu) is only 1920 x 1080. Katanga is set to SteamVR SS of 152% (2484 x 2760 - not sure if that has any effect). All settings maxed.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Nice one! Would you mind kindly putting your specs in your sig? Presumably you're on a 2080 Ti like most of us?

Smooth at 1080p is a great result! What's your GPU usage like with this?

After you exit the game and only have Katanga open, reflecting desktop - what's your GPU usage like then?

I hope I'm doing something stupid - my VR performance leaves a lot to be desired compared to 3DV at the same resolution :)

In the meantime, I am maxing my GPU by playing through in glorious 800p, which actually looks stunning in VR :woot
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Update on Katanga performance:

2080Ti : 11GB card

Idle (no games started):
Katanga:
35% GPU usage (WMR + SteamVR + Katanga)
Task manager shows 24% GPU usage just for Katanga
1.7GHz GPU clock
7GB VRAM used (WMR + SteamVR + Katanga)

Virtual desktop:
17% GPU usage (WMR + SteamVR + VD)
Task manager shows 7% GPU usage just for VirtualDesktop
1.3GHz GPU clock
4.5GB VRAM used (WMR + SteamVR + VD)

--------------------

Playing Psychonauts 2 @ 1280x800

Katanga:
65% GPU usage, VRAM maxed @ 11GB, stuttering most likely being caused by VRAM swapping - problem gets worse at higher resolutions, as expected.
Note: Katanga Is FULL-SBS, so both eyes are getting 1280x800 image per eye, even though the game window shows Half-TaB/OU.

Virtual Desktop (katanga_vr output mode):
55% GPU usage, VRAM near maxed @ 11GB
Note: Presumably this is definitely HALF-TaB/OU captured straight from the game window? The images are vertically offset, so there is no stereo, though I am sure this would be easy to fix. In any case, VD would be displaying half the resolution of Katanga, though this does not translate into double the performance, as images are being rendered at full resolution before being cut into half.

For comparison, playing the game via 3D Vision = 39% GPU usage (VSync OFF, 90fps cap, same as VR); 4GB VRam usage total.

--------------------

Conclusion:
1. VR is taking insane amounts of VRAM for even just idling, with no games loaded. Any way to cut this down? Maybe via an OpenXR version of Katanga which would mostly bypass WMR and SteamVR bloat?

2. Katanga is using huge amounts of resources even when idling... maybe it could be made more efficient? Just a suggestion, not a criticism in any way.

Grateful for what we have; - After you fine chaps did all the heavy lifting, I'm just trying to do my part to help get out the best we can :)

-----------------
Edit: Clarity
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

RAGEdemon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:51 am Nice one! Would you mind kindly putting your specs in your sig? Presumably you're on a 2080 Ti like most of us?

Smooth at 1080p is a great result! What's your GPU usage like with this?

After you exit the game and only have Katanga open, reflecting desktop - what's your GPU usage like then?

I hope I'm doing something stupid - my VR performance leaves a lot to be desired compared to 3DV at the same resolution :)

In the meantime, I am maxing my GPU by playing through in glorious 800p, which actually looks stunning in VR :woot
I added my specs to sig. hopefully they are now visible. I am running a 3080 on 11900K on Vive Pro in case the new sig doesn’t appear. VR performance seems fine to me. Don’t notice any real deg compared to SBS. Have tried Outer Wilds and Kena now and both perform just as good in VR as SBS.
11900K/3080 - Vive Pro - Sony 3DTV
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

I've added some performance suggestions in OP. These are more general HelixVision recommendations, not really different here. Also, avoid insane levels of SuperSampling, this will hammer your performance badly and anything over about 150% on a VivePro is in diminishing returns. Higher res headsets have less need of SS. SS is a brute force way to improve image quality.

It seems like there might be a memory leak on current implementation, so I'll double check. I was looking to just get it barely running, not at smoothing out the experience just yet. But so far it's running roughly comparable to prior HelixVision experience.

For measuring katanga overhead, a better test is to just run your shortcut for a game in the 'waiting/launching' state. That removes all the desktop duplication overhead which is not particularly great code, and is just there as a convenience. Also set the background to fully black, no sky/floor for a minor bump. This gives grey screen with all black environment.

In this setup, I measure katanga as using 15% of a 1080ti on driver 512.95. With 3DV enabled, but not in use. (not sure this matters) SteamVR by itself takes roughly 4% of a 1080ti, for the empty horizon with grid floor mode, which is their minimum use case. SteamVR Home takes a lot more. So katanga is taking about 10% of a 1080ti for its work on this driver.

I previously measured that at 5%, so I'll try to profile that today to see if there are mistakes that have crept in.
samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samfisherirl »

I and one other person I know has been unable to run any geo3d dx11 game on steamvr to oculus quest 2. I have had to run Geo3d11 on Oculus Runtime withn steamvr closed otherwise I get this effect. It appears to hamper hexlix as well (video link loading)
https://streamable.com/03c3zb
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

bo3bber wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 am
You might want to manually set the frame rate limiter in NVidia control panel for the game. Normally HelixVision does this for katanga.
You most likely want to use 1080p for your game resolution. Higher than that typically is not worth GPU cost in VR display.
Sorry if this is a dumb question as I must confess I had not used HelixVision for quite some time due to 3080 upgrade for VR. How does Katanga handle frame rate? If in game vsync is set to on as suggested (in my case my Normal display is 60fps but my headset is 90fps) does that mean Katanga tries to interpolate the 60fps to 90fps or is the in-game vsync independant of Katanga and Katanga will get a full 90fps without any need for interpolation? (Hope that makes sense)
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

samfisherirl wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:53 pm I and one other person I know has been unable to run any geo3d dx11 game on steamvr to oculus quest 2. I have had to run Geo3d11 on Oculus Runtime withn steamvr closed otherwise I get this effect. It appears to hamper hexlix as well (video link loading)
https://streamable.com/03c3zb
Yeah I don't know how that will work, the Geo3D11 is a prototype and will probably interact badly with geo-11 and the katanaga output.

What you want is to be able to see SteamVR working on your Quest2 without any other software running. Try setting up via the SteamVR DesktopTheatre to start, so that you can be sure it has a direct connection to the Quest2. I don't know any nuances of AirLink or other software, and have only tested it using the direct wired link. The goal is to make sure SteamVR is working correctly first.

Once SteamVR is working, then the geo-11 with katanga_vr output should work, because this just uses normal DirectX11, and the SteamVR runtime to output. The katanga app is a normal Unity VR app using SteamVR as the connection.

You can also check that it works on the Quest2 for your setup, by just running the shortcut we talk about above. It will show a "Launching" grey screen inside your headset if it can see things properly. I think I see this running OK on your headset in your video.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

BazzaLB wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:30 pm
bo3bber wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 am
Sorry if this is a dumb question as I must confess I had not used HelixVision for quite some time due to 3080 upgrade for VR. How does Katanga handle frame rate? If in game vsync is set to on as suggested (in my case my Normal display is 60fps but my headset is 90fps) does that mean Katanga tries to interpolate the 60fps to 90fps or is the in-game vsync independant of Katanga and Katanga will get a full 90fps without any need for interpolation? (Hope that makes sense)
Yeah this is a little fuzzy because of the different monitors and outputs. What we normally do for HelixVision is force the frame rate limiter on to 1/2 of the VR refreshrate, so that the game does not try to free-run and also you get perfect sync with the headset. Typically with 3DV creating the output, we can't run a game at 90fps, and having 45fps gives a better experience than a 60/90 wobble between the game and what you see in VR.

You can manually set that in the nvidia control panel, because it won't be automatically set by katanga. Typically you want the game refresh to match your VR refresh for best experience, but it's OK if they are out of sync, it just gives odd frame pacing. Dropping to 45, is usually a good compromise because it also frees up some GPU headroom for running the VR.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Thanks for the insights - they were helpful.

Interesting data points I came across:
My HMD's default 100% sampling resolution is 3600x3600. I have dropped this down to minimum (20%), with a resolution of 1600x1600. The results in my previous post were already from Katanga resting at gray screen as you suggested. Now, the resting usage is about the same as VD - thanks for the supersampling suggestion.

I tested out capping the fps to 45. I appreciate that a lot of people don't notice the difference between low fps (<60) and high fps (>60).
Capping at 45 produced unacceptable fluidity to me personally. I forced motion smoothing on katanga, which worked very well to estimate in-between frames. I was able to up the resolution to beyond 1200p this way.

Setting the game fps cap to 45 and then setting VSync on isn't ideal - vsync adds input lag, and if the FPS is capped in the control panel/inside game, then vsync doesn't help with runaway fps and wasted GPU anyway...

--------------------

Some points you might wish to summarise/link to in op for visibility.

VR display fov is usually 1:1, so it is best to try and get Katanga's virtual screen as close to that as reasonable possible.
A monitor/virtual screen FOV will be 16:9 by default inside VR, due to the resolutions available only being those that your monitor can support.

For best performance and image quality, create a custom 4:3 resolution, e.g. if your monitor resolution is 1920x1080, then use CRU to create a custom resolution of 1920x1440 (or 1440x1080p if you want more performance/your display can't support a higher resolution - VSync will be off so refresh rate can be set ridiculously low, such as 7Hz to maximise compatibility with the monitor's accepted pixel clock value).

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thre ... tility-CRU

This way your full FOV and pixels on your VR's display will be filled up much more efficiently without wasting GPU power on pixels you can't see, or huge empty areas above and below the screen - it's all about immersion after all.

Set the steamVR supersampling slider to just above the in-game resolution you set above, rather than the default 100%. Ideally, sampling frequency of Katanga would be double the Nyquist frequency (resolution of the game), however this is a good compromise. We just have to ensure the SS resolution isn't lower than the in-game resolution [on the vertical axis].

-i. Set game FPS cap to your HMD's natural refresh and disable VSync - at low resolutions, this gives ultra fluid gameplay at 90fps, assuming your GPU can handle it.

-ii. Or, if you prefer image quality over fluidity, set the game cap to 45fps (as suggested in OP) and still disable VSync. In either case, having VSync enabled will be trying to sync to your monitor rather than VR, and will give you odd synchronisation between the game and HMD as your HMD tries to sample this out-of-sync refresh meant for your monitor; - this manifests itself as microstutter, giving lower perceived FPS than is actually being output.

Here is a great explanation of why capping the game to 45fps while having VSync on at 60Hz that VR tries to resample at 45fps etc will produce "judder":
https://youtu.be/CuEZIJDEQyo?t=13

FORCE Motion smoothing in SteamVR for Katanga if playing at 45fps (vSync OFF)- this won't be as good as natural 90fps of most HMDs, however it will be far better than 45fps without motion smoothing (for most scenarios), for those sensitive to low fps such as myself. VSync has to be OFF or else the motion estimation obviously won't work well.

Newcomers to Katanga/Helixvision - the controls are behind you! For those seated like myself, this can be very awkward... Maybe there is a document showing these controls I can print out? :)

If there is something more specific you would like tested, then I am happy to do so...

--------------------

On a side-note, Katanga now has sharpening automatically set to something like 1.5 as default which adds a lot to image quality. I personally like higher sharpness - my preferred value is 4.0. I include the reg-file to make this happen, however best back up the original reg key beforehand...

Side-note #2 - Katanga works well with FSR's sharpening pass, by swapping the OpenVR_api.dll in the plugins folder. It doesn't seem to work with fixed foveated rendering which uses dxgi.dll next to the .exe - even if it did work, I doubt there would be a significant performance increase, as it would just be resampling Katanga's viewport, not the actual game.

Looking forward to playing more perfectly fixed games with this, and keeping a close eye on its evolution - thank you once again.
MilesVor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MilesVor »

Hi, yesterday I succesfully ran Prey (sbs ma no 3d depth) with geo-11
I didnt use Helyx as I dont have it, used Virtual Desktop activating SBS.
Today apparently the d3d11.dll and nvapi.dll are not loaded: the last log I have is from yesterday.
Nothing changed, i tried also to unblock the dll as the system says they "could be blocked" because are from another PC.
I launched Prey from within steam, with or without steamvr already launched.
The game start in full screen with no sbs (tried also "tab", nothing).
Any idea what could it be?
Thanks

Windows 10, gtx1080, Valve Index, latest nvidia drivers
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

geo-11+v0.6.24 update...

Edit:

Losti has kindly integrated geo-11+v0.6.6 into his universal UE fix as tested today. Caution is advised when updating geo-11 to another version :)

Edit 2:

-- nVidia Sharpening filter now works in both eyes. Presumably reshade also works in both eyes now.
Edit3: spoke too soon - only sees to work in VR, not on 3DV display - still only working in one eye.

-- Confirm FPS counter and OSD working in VR.

Cheers bo3b (and other awesome chaps)!

------------

Is there perhaps a repository we can download older geo-11 drivers from if needed?
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Latest drivers, 2080Ti:

Visage works well, except no cursor is visible in menus/inventory.

Fix from Helixmod blog doesn't engage 3D. HelixVision [3DFM] installed fix + prompt to update 3DMigoto makes it work. Then install geo-11 on top as usual.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 works well, except no cursor again.

In games, on the monitor, the cursor is 'normal full screen' whereas the screen is split into 2 - cursor is obviously not being captured by geo-11/katanga output.

Is there a way to fix the cursor issue?

It is making menus very difficult to navigate... - mostly just moving the mouse until a button you want highlights. If the game doesn't support highlight, then the game is unplayable.

Thanks.
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

RAGEdemon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:18 am Star Wars: Battlefront 2 works well, except no cursor again.

In games, on the monitor, the cursor is 'normal full screen' whereas the screen is split into 2 - cursor is obviously not being captured by geo-11/katanga output.

Is there a way to fix the cursor issue?

It is making menus very difficult to navigate... - mostly just moving the mouse until a button you want highlights. If the game doesn't support highlight, then the game is unplayable.

Thanks.
have you tried including ShaderFixes\mouse.ini in the d3dx.ini?
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

BazzaLB wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:02 am
RAGEdemon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:18 am It is making menus very difficult to navigate... - mostly just moving the mouse until a button you want highlights. If the game doesn't support highlight, then the game is unplayable.

Thanks.
have you tried including ShaderFixes\mouse.ini in the d3dx.ini?
It works! Thank you for the insight! :)
stereoid
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stereoid »

tried Yakuza 0 on RTX 2080 mobile with newest GPU drivers. Stereo worked basically but no HUD or menus visible. But I managed to start the game blindly just to see if it was stereo. Also tried the "automatic hud" option but game crashed immediately after starting. Is there any recommendation how to fix the issue with 2D elements in Yakuza 0 with Geo-11?
jb2426
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jb2426 »

\

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”