Geo-11 The Flame in the Flood

petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Geo-11 The Flame in the Flood

Post by petermg »

Haven't found a post on this yet.
I am able to get it to kinda work with Geo-11. By that I mean it shows up in SBS if I set it to SBS, or TAB, or if I set direct_mode = nvidia_dx9 in d3dxdm.ini, then global persist $mode = 6 in Shader-Fixes/3dvision2sbs.ini it will run interlaced 3D. However there is not any depth. It just looks like I'm playing a 2D game with the game screen in the background and the HUD in the foreground. The objects are not in 3D.
I tried using ReShade and SD3D and that was the same until I messed around with the settings to get the depth working but that took quite a while so maybe there is a similar issue using Geo-11 with this game?
BazzaLB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Geo-11 The Flame in the Flood

Post by BazzaLB »

I actually have this game but havent played it in ages. I have a fix from the HelixMod blogspot site installed already (http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2016/04/th ... -dx11.html). The fix is old, but it works just fine to fix shadows etc.

I moved this over to my RTX3080 machine with 516+ driver to test it just now. I used geo-11 0.6.38 (but I suspect any version will work fine). I ran it in TAB mode.

The convergence is very low by default so I ramped it right up in the d3dxdm.ini file to 200.0 in the stereo section to get some "toyification" (dm_convergence = 200.0)

Looks great to me but you probably need to change your current convergence setting as the default is very low and you will not see the greater 3d depth effect at the default setting. If you have your hotkeys enabled, you should be able to just use ctl-F6 (at least thats what my increase convergence hotkey is set to) to increase convergence when in game to see what you like before changing the setting in the .ini file.

EDIT: Actually, I just noticed the fix already has a key (P) for cycling convergence between values. You could change these or add some of your own

Code: Select all

[Key_Cycle_Convergence_keyboard]
Key = P
type = cycle
convergence = 200, 2000
Last edited by BazzaLB on Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11900K/3080 - Vive Pro - Sony 3DTV
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Yeah, I can confirm this working fine for me too, including nvidia_dx9 output mode, using the original HelixModblog fix. I use this game as a test app for prototyping and coding because the launch is fast.
petermg wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:03 pm Haven't found a post on this yet.
I am able to get it to kinda work with Geo-11. By that I mean it shows up in SBS if I set it to SBS, or TAB, or if I set direct_mode = nvidia_dx9 in d3dxdm.ini, then global persist $mode = 6 in Shader-Fixes/3dvision2sbs.ini it will run interlaced 3D. However there is not any depth. It just looks like I'm playing a 2D game with the game screen in the background and the HUD in the foreground. The objects are not in 3D.
I tried using ReShade and SD3D and that was the same until I messed around with the settings to get the depth working but that took quite a while so maybe there is a similar issue using Geo-11 with this game?
Hey, cool way to get interlaced mode. Hadn't occurred to me to try that. Good workaround for not having it available native just yet, and I can check out the shader code to see what DSS is doing to make that work, or more likely, steal his shader.
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

bo3bber wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:27 pm Yeah, I can confirm this working fine for me too, including nvidia_dx9 output mode, using the original HelixModblog fix. I use this game as a test app for prototyping and coding because the launch is fast.
petermg wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:03 pm Haven't found a post on this yet.
Hey, cool way to get interlaced mode. Hadn't occurred to me to try that. Good workaround for not having it available native just yet, and I can check out the shader code to see what DSS is doing to make that work, or more likely, steal his shader.
Nice! Can you also get upscaling working with it? :)
Apparently unless I'm doing something wrong, upscaling only works when setting direct_mode to sbs or tab.
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

BazzaLB wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:59 pm I actually have this game but havent played it in ages. I have a fix from the HelixMod blogspot site installed already (http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2016/04/th ... -dx11.html). The fix is old, but it works just fine to fix shadows etc.

I moved this over to my RTX3080 machine with 516+ driver to test it just now. I used geo-11 0.6.38 (but I suspect any version will work fine). I ran it in TAB mode.

The convergence is very low by default so I ramped it right up in the d3dxdm.ini file to 200.0 in the stereo section to get some "toyification" (dm_convergence = 200.0)

Looks great to me but you probably need to change your current convergence setting as the default is very low and you will not see the greater 3d depth effect at the default setting. If you have your hotkeys enabled, you should be able to just use ctl-F6 (at least thats what my increase convergence hotkey is set to) to increase convergence when in game to see what you like before changing the setting in the .ini file.

EDIT: Actually, I just noticed the fix already has a key (P) for cycling convergence between values. You could change these or add some of your own

Key = P
type = cycle
convergence = 200, 2000
Thanks! I will try this.
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

petermg wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:53 pm
BazzaLB wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:59 pm I actually have this game but havent played it in ages. I have a fix from the HelixMod blogspot site installed already (http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2016/04/th ... -dx11.html). The fix is old, but it works just fine to fix shadows etc.

Key = P
type = cycle
convergence = 200, 2000
Thanks! I will try this.
For some reason with Geo11 I'm getting some strange ghosting on each image, it's like it's mixing left and right on both sides at the same time because when I set the separation to 0 it goes away. See attached image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

petermg wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:19 pm For some reason with Geo11 I'm getting some strange ghosting on each image, it's like it's mixing left and right on both sides at the same time because when I set the separation to 0 it goes away. See attached image.
Yep. This is EXACTLY what you get if you do not apply the FIX I linked to (I just checked). These fixes actually FIX the broken Geo 3D effects.

You need to download the fix I linked to. If you already have geo-11 installed, then just copy over the "ShaderFixes" directory from the fix as well as the d3dx.ini file (overwirint any existing d3dx.ini file from geo-11 install). Then edit the d3dx.ini file from the fix and set force_stereo=2 (Look for existing force_stereo and change its value to 2)

That should fix your issue. NOTE Don't overwrite the geo-11 .dlls
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

BazzaLB wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:41 pm
petermg wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:19 pm For some reason with Geo11 I'm getting some strange ghosting on each image, it's like it's mixing left and right on both sides at the same time because when I set the separation to 0 it goes away. See attached image.
Yep. This is EXACTLY what you get if you do not apply the FIX I linked to (I just checked). These fixes actually FIX the broken Geo 3D effects.

You need to download the fix I linked to. If you already have geo-11 installed, then just copy over the "ShaderFixes" directory from the fix as well as the d3dx.ini file (overwirint any existing d3dx.ini file from geo-11 install). Then edit the d3dx.ini file from the fix and set force_stereo=2 (Look for existing force_stereo and change its value to 2)

That should fix your issue. NOTE Don't overwrite the geo-11 .dlls
Weird. That just seemed to disable any 3D for the game.
It also threw up an error about one of the parameters in the d3dx.ini file.
I tried doing it by first installing the fix, then replacing the files needed for Geo-11, just the d3d11.dll, nvapi64.dll, and d3dxdm.ini.
Then I modified force_stereo to 2.
That gave me the results you see above.

Then I tried to just put all the Geo11 files there, from scratch, then replace just the ones from the fix like you said, copying over the d3dx.ini file and the ShaderFixes folder.
I got the same results both ways :\
I also tried it with the stereoscopic settings in the Nvidia Control panel on and off. No different.
I also then tried setting direct_mode = nvidia_dx9 in the d3dxdm.ini file. No difference. What SHOULD happen with that direct mode is when the stereoscopic option is disabled in the Nvidia Control Panel, it should throw an error and not load the game, but it doesn't give me an error :\.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

UPDATE: I got it working.
I first copied over all the files from the fix.
I THEN copied over all the files from the Geo11 as if I was installing just Geo11.
That did the trick.
I'm guessing it is what's in the ShaderFixes folder that did it, since literally everything else got overwritten.
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

My guess is you probably didnt set "force_stereo = 2" in the fix's d3dx.ini on your first try. If you overwrote the fix's d3dx.ini you can lose some of the functionality of the fix (eg Keys to control convergence or other parameters used by the shader code). The d3dx.ini and shaderFix directory go hand in hand but to make the fix's d3dx.ini compatible with geo-11 you have to set the output to directmode which is done by the "force_stereo=2". This fix is simple enough that overwriting the fix's d3dx.ini with the generic one in the geo-11 archive probably wont cause you any issues in this case though.

I forgot to say there is an error in the original fix's d3dx.ini but its just a comment about HUD parameter that has "//" as its comment signifier instead of ";". I forgot, I changed that parameter in the original fix anyway because that originally made the HUD pop-out of screen instead of being at some depth. I changed mine to be at depth and fixed the comment line at the same time.

However, when doing this in the future for other games, I suggest its easier to just copy over the fix first, then copy over the geo-11 dll's and leave the original fix's d3dx.ini in place but edit it to set "force_stereo=2"

Glad you got it working in the end.
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

BazzaLB wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:47 am My guess is you probably didnt set "force_stereo = 2" in the fix's d3dx.ini on your first try. If you overwrote the fix's d3dx.ini you can lose some of the functionality of the fix (eg Keys to control convergence or other parameters used by the shader code). The d3dx.ini and shaderFix directory go hand in hand but to make the fix's d3dx.ini compatible with geo-11 you have to set the output to directmode which is done by the "force_stereo=2". This fix is simple enough that overwriting the fix's d3dx.ini with the generic one in the geo-11 archive probably wont cause you any issues in this case though.

I forgot to say there is an error in the original fix's d3dx.ini but its just a comment about HUD parameter that has "//" as its comment signifier instead of ";". I forgot, I changed that parameter in the original fix anyway because that originally made the HUD pop-out of screen instead of being at some depth. I changed mine to be at depth and fixed the comment line at the same time.

However, when doing this in the future for other games, I suggest its easier to just copy over the fix first, then copy over the geo-11 dll's and leave the original fix's d3dx.ini in place but edit it to set "force_stereo=2"

Glad you got it working in the end.
I changed "force_stereo=2" multiple times.
I just did it again for good measure. Deleted everything, copied over the "fix", then just copied over the 3 files from geo11, d3d11.dll, nvapi64.dll, and d3dxdm.ini, set force_stereo=2, and still nothing.
Then I just copied ALL the Geo11 files over and the folder (from the x64 folder), then it worked. I didn't forget to change anything. I'm wondering if you are on the older driver? I'm on the current driver. Don't know if that should matter. Also I'm using Geo11 version 0.6.38.
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

Thats odd because thats pretty much how I convert all my games for geo-11 (including Flame in the flood) which I did today for this topic. I am on 516.59 but I am sure that doesn't matter. Oh well, in that case I'm not sure why your stereo stopped working. Just be aware that the fix's d3dx.ini is very important for getting fixes working properly in most cases. So if you overwrite it completely, the results can't always be predicted. Like I say, this fix's d3dx.ini is very basic and you dont need it in this case, but other more complex fixes probably will.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Not sure what you are seeing there- I just tried it again, and it seems to be working just fine. Win10 21H1, Driver 516.59, Steam version of game, nvidia_dx9 output mode, geo-11 v0.6.40.

You've mentioned earlier that you are new to all this- so some maybe not obvious things.

1) In the d3dx.ini file for the game fix, you will see ;force_stereo=1 That semicolon at the front is not an accident, and it means the line is commented out/disabled. To make that active it must be force_stereo=2 with no semicolon. Use Notepad++ and it will show commented out lines in green.

2) By default in the geo-11 files, those options are enabled, but if you replace the d3dx.ini file completely you usually break the fix because the file includes critical overrides and possibly regex conversions for the 3D. In this exact scenario it will work because there is nothing in the d3dx.ini that the game needs.

3) Shaderfixes folders are required for a fix to work. That's where all the shaders live that fix 3D problems. Your first image is how the game looks when the game is run with 3D enabled, but nothing fixed.

4) Make sure you are targeting the right directory to install the fix. It's not always obvious, and it very often is not the root game directory. In this case, it's the usual UE4 weirdness "W:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FlameInTheFlood\RiverGame\Binaries\Win64" If you put the fix files at the root, nothing will happen, and game will look like it does with just raw 3D, no fix.

Follow the steps I outline on the blog post- I didn't write that for fun, it's the simplest and fastest way to get things working.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”