[How-to] Install GeForce Experience/Shadowplay offline/without login to record 3D Vision footage

3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

[How-to] Install GeForce Experience/Shadowplay offline/without login to record 3D Vision footage

Post by 3DJ »

If you've ever wanted to record some full-resolution 3D Vision footage, you may have found out that the only 2 options available are FRAPS and NVIDIA Shadowplay.
However, FRAPS encoding performance is abysmal and for Shadowplay, you need GeForce Experience, which requires an mandatory online account.

On a side note, these are borderline spyware with its telemetry and questionable background tasks, so you might also want to block telemetry first using one of these methods:
A) NVCleanstall (driver downloader which includes optional telemetry removal, before rebuilding the installer)
B) Disable Nvidia Telemetry (program that removes it from currently installed drivers)

Anyhow, here's the guide to bypass login:

1- Uninstall GeForce Experience if 3.21.0.36 or newer is installed (might wanna back up/write down settings if you need to).

2-A If using NVIDIA Driver 425.31, download and install GeForce Experience v3.18.0.94 (last known version that works with driver 425.31):
2-B If using NVIDIA Driver newer than 425.31, download and install GeForce Experience v3.21.0.36 (last known version that enables ShadowPlay):

3- Close GeForce Experience if it's running

4-A Download patched app.js to bypass login in GeForce Experience v3.18.0.94 (Driver 425.31)
4-B Download patched app.js to bypass login in GeForce Experience v3.21.0.36 (Driver newer than 425.31)

5- Copy and overwrite the one in:
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience\www

6- Launch GeForce Experience, click the Share button on the top right to enable ShadowPlay overlay and voilá!
*If you get an "Unable to open Share" error, you might have to stick to the GeForce experience that came with the driver you're using.
For example, driver 425.31 comes with GFE 3.18.0.94, so after you install it, use this app.js (for other versions, see if anyone already patched it in Issues, or follow the manual guide) and re-do step 5 and skip step 7 because updating might break it.

7- After you confirm ShadowPlay works, you can update to the latest GeForce Experience with a new app.js UNLESS YOU'RE ON DRIVER 425.31:
https://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEC ... 5.1.27.exe
https://github.com/Moyster/BaiGfe/files/8085030/app.zip

8- If you want to apply this patch to newer GFE but nobody has patched app.js or you can't figure out how to do it yourself, check out updated forks here.

More mods: https://linustechtips.com/topic/331710- ... play-mods/

Troubleshooting:

A) Game crashes when recording starts?
*This is more common when the game is run as admin.
0- Make sure the game is closed
1- Open overlay (default hotkey is Alt+Z)
2- Settings > Privacy control > check Desktop capture
3- Start recording the desktop
4- Run game, stop recording at start it again
5- If the game doesn't crash stop recording and go to step 6, otherwise keep recording and restart the game and then stop recording
6- Settings > Privacy control > UNcheck Desktop capture
7- Now recording should hopefully work
*Old Direct3D versions tend to crash regardless, so you can also try dgVoodoo to convert them to Direct3D 11 (so it'll only work up to driver 452.06 and RTX 2080 Ti)

B) One view randomly becomes vertical lines of stretched out pixels?
*This can happen when recording for 10-15 minutes or more, especially in games where issue A happens. So if that happens, you might want to record in 10-min chunks at a time (like, you can stop and restart recording during scene change/fade out)
1- Save game (create a new save if you want to re-record the corrupted session.
2- Stop the recording
3- Restart the game
4- Restart the recording
Last edited by 3DJ on Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:37 pm, edited 20 times in total.
TanookiPhoenix
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: [How-to] Install NVIDIA GeForce Experience/Shadowplay offline/without login to record 3D Vision footage

Post by TanookiPhoenix »

Does OBS not have the ability to record 3d content?
3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: [How-to] Install NVIDIA GeForce Experience/Shadowplay offline/without login to record 3D Vision footage

Post by 3DJ »

TanookiPhoenix wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:44 pm Does OBS not have the ability to record 3d content?
AFAIK no, at least not properly. I've read some reports of people getting left-right view flicker which I've only seen that myself in frame sequential 3D like OpenGL 3D vision (Vulkan 3D Vision driver might be the same). But even if you can get that working, I doubt it's a good idea cuz from what I've seen, flicker in OBS isn't consistent so even if you could split views by odd/even frames, it would probably swap eyes constantly unless a better method is found.
But in the meantime, Shadowplay and FRAPS is all we've got.
Most videos in the 3D playlist were recorded in Shadowplay, except for the Witcher 3 one, in which I used FRAPS (which, again, is REALLY slow, files are huge, it records cross-eyed instead of left-eye first so I had to swap them with ffmpeg for youtube and free version only allows 30 seconds, with a watermark I had to remove). The only redeemable quality of FRAPS is lossless/multichannel audio recording and lossless RGB video (which is a bad idea most of the time).

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”