CM not working with recent UE4 games

3D4DD
One Eyed Hopeful

CM not working with recent UE4 games

Post by 3D4DD »

Yes, I know that there is an universal fix for Unreal Engine 4 games that offers very good results and still gets improved by Losti. So many thanks for the fix and of course I prefer real 3D over CM.
But nevertheless I would be happy to have an additional solution to play UE4 games in 3D. Sometimes there are still major issues in games that have modified the UE4 engine or the performance hit by real 3D is too significant on my outdated hardware. So I was glad that I could use CM with the profile for Assassin's Creed Unity (or CM unleashed with 2DDHUDSettings=0x10000102) as a backup solution.

Unfortunately CM doesn't work with recent UE4 games any more (Close to the sun, Code Vein, Moons of Madness). You get plain 2D at screen depth in CM.
The Park worked fine in CM when I played it in March this year but now after reinstalling it it also fails (even after switching back to the old driver version I used in March). I guess that there had been an update for the game as it is offered now in a bundle with Moons of Madness and was released on Switch.
Older games (Submerged, Kholat) that worked in CM before still cause no problems. Same with Ace Combat 7.
So I don't think that this issue is caused by driver updates but by changes made in recent UE 4 versions.
The overlay confirms that the games run in CM. CM unleashed is able to find the entry points (confirmation sound) but has no effect.

Can You confirm these issues?
Which effects could stop CM from working?
I know that certain AA settings cause issues (e.g. SMAA in Destiny 2), also resolution scalings (e.g. Resident Evil 2 with 100%). In Shadow of the Tomb Raider CM only kicked in with enabled AO. Also outline effects can cause CM to switch to 2D.
I have tried the following to get CM working with recent UE4 games:
- changed AA (off, FXAA, TemporalAA)
- changed resolution scaling
- changed ambiant occlusion
- used 3DMigoto to disable shaders
- enabled/disabled Vsync, tried different resolutions and Hz
- switched back to older Nvidia drivers (e.g. 391.35), I'm still on Win 7.
- tried different values for 2DDHUDSettings (0x10000002, 0x10000006, 0x1000000A, 0x10000015, 0x1000001A, 0x10000102, 0x10000106, 0x20000106, ...)
No success. Also changing these settings in games with still working CM (Ace Combat 7) had no negative effect on CM.

Any idea what else could cause the problems with CM?

BTW Superdepth/reshade still works with these UE4 games. But I don't have a 3D TV and don't want to play in anaglyph mode :anaglyph
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: CM not working with recent UE4 games

Post by Necropants »

I would really like an answer too this too. I got destiny 2 working again, but warframe and all UE games don't seem to work anymore. Just a 2d image pushed to depth.
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

A bit disappointed there's not more discussion about this.

Compatibility mode is still needed in Unreal 4 for games that use EAC. (I hate this company with a passion now.)
Latest game I have had this problem is Kingdom Under Fire 2 which uses EAC...

Anyone play CM in any UE4 games that work anymore?
I would like to get to the bottom of this...
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Necropants wrote:A bit disappointed there's not more discussion about this.

Compatibility mode is still needed in Unreal 4 for games that use EAC. (I hate this company with a passion now.)
Latest game I have had this problem is Kingdom Under Fire 2 which uses EAC...

Anyone play CM in any UE4 games that work anymore?
I would like to get to the bottom of this...
I think the problem is that, as far as I'm aware, there was never any official documentation provided from Nvidia on the inner workings of CM. With 3DVision automatic, there was the Nvidia whitepapers that broke down a lot of the information and formulas we use in our fixes today, and then that information all got supplemented by DSS's vast knowledge of graphics rendering and mathematics. Maybe he might know something about how depth buffer 3D works, and can provide some input, so perhaps try contacting him on Discord?
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Yeah, I was finally able to get KUF2 working okay (it's supposed to be UE4) but I had to go back to Windows 7 and use the Assassins creed Black flag SP profile.
Won't even engage fullscreen in windows 10 at all.
3D4DD
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3D4DD »

I have tested Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order as another recent UE4 game with CM (I know that DJ-RK is working on a great fix, just wanted to check if CM per se is working). I was very happy when I got CM working in the main menu (profile Assasins Creed Unity).
But when I started the game with the beginning oft the first chapter I had a strange issue: depending on the direction (or the objects?) I was looking at CM was working quite well or just switching to plain 2D. Sometimes I even got 3D/2D flickering or a correctly working CM when I was moving the camera but switching to 2D as soon as I stopped. This happens on my Win 7 system (I don't use Win 10). I have tried (almost) every graphic setting the game offers (also the custom / everything on "low" trick) but the issue remained. I also switched to 3D vision discover mode (anaglyph) and got the same result. On the other hand Reshade with Superdepth (similar to CM) has no problems with SWJFO and other recent UE4 games.

@Necropants and DJ-RK: As You both have SWJFO could You check if this happens on Your system, too?

I used 3Dmigoto to disable shaders and check if there is a shader/effect that causes CM to switch to 2D. E.g. in "Evolved" I got CM to work correctly when I disabled character outlines that caused issues with CM. Indeed I discovered that CM switched to 3D again when I disabled 2 VS. Unfortunately this only worked for certain viewing directions and disabling these VS causes a lot of objects to disappear and making the game unplayable.

@DJ-RK: I have attached the 2 VS. Perhaps You could take a quick look at it? As You know the game and the engine very well maybe You can identify what prevents CM in recent UE4 games? Is there a way to just "bypass" a shader and its effect (input = output) instead of disabling it (and making the objects invisible as a result)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

I have had some issues with the game crashing when playing with profiles, so I don't really want to mess with my existing configuration for that game, sorry. I won't speak for Dj-rk but I assume he has little interest in CM due to his skill in shaderhacking.

That issue you are speaking about is generally related to AA.
Try the trick he mentions in the main thread for Fallen order but disabling AA completely with the hidden low setting. Unsure if there are any engine tweaks that actually work to achieve this.
3D4DD
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3D4DD »

I understand. No problem.
I still hope that DJ-RK is aware of CM and could have a quick look at it at given time. At least he answered to this topic before ;) Of course a real fix is absolutely superior to CM. But sometimes CM is the last and only option to play a game in some kind of 3D....

Disabling AA didn't help.
I also remember that I had a similar issue with CM switching to 2D for certain viewing angles in Secret World Legends. Strange phenomenon...
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Yeah apparently Nvidia really did not document CM very well so it's all a bit obscure.
One thing is for certain, I have a lot more success with CM in general on windows 7 with the last officially supported driver. Would recommend a Dual boot system with windows 7 if you are not already.

Kingdom under fire won't start full screen exclusive at all in windows 10 regardless of driver and has the same issue in 7 with the latest 3d injected driver
3D4DD
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3D4DD »

That's the reason why I stay with Win 7 and 425.31 :D So far I didn't miss any Win 10 exclusive games and my hardware is so old that new drivers won't support and improve its performance (significantly) anyway...
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Warframes another one thats totally broken in CM and thats not unreal either. That has an official CM profile too and doesnt work on the official driver in 7 for me which probably indicates the developers broke it.
Blacksmith60
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Why discussing CM with UE4 ?

Keeping my concious clean, and bying the games, but afterwords dwl an alternate version without all that crap, just did it with Terminator, it works perfect with latest Universal fix ;)

It's sad that Warframes isn't UE4 :(
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Because sometimes cm is still useful, when it comes down to games that have easy anti cheat. (kingdom under fire) and people with performance issues.
floph
Cross Eyed!

Post by floph »

I also experienced issues in Far Cry 5, Far Cry New Dawn and Hirman 2.
In some locations CM turns to 2D. If I walk out of that location the 3D comes back.
Also sometimes by rotating the camera 3D cames back.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

floph wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:25 pm I also experienced issues in Far Cry 5, Far Cry New Dawn and Hirman 2.
In some locations CM turns to 2D. If I walk out of that location the 3D comes back.
Also sometimes by rotating the camera 3D cames back.
In Far Cry New Dawn you can fix this issue by turning off 2D icons ingame. I think "Ally icon" was causing the issue.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

There's also the guide by Helifax that offers some insight into CM settings.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... -add-comp/

Keep in mind that while a certain setting might do nothing or have an adverse affect on the game, it may be very beneficial in another game.

I think it has to do with the way the rendering pipeline is set up on any given engine.

I had notes from testing that I previously did, but a lightning strike during a microburst fried my UPS and SSD.

I think the postings on the wiki are from Helifax as well.
http://wiki.bo3b.net/index.php?title=Dr ... e_Settings

The only thing that you can really do, is experiment via trial and error, since each game engine is so different.

Hopefully, you can sort out the UE4 issues.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

ATM, I only have 2 UE4 games installed. W10 1909 425.31

I tried Little Nightmares and it worked straight away using Black Flag profile.

Call of Cthulu would not would not work initially, but after messing with ini settings fullscreen=0 as suggested by Paul in the 3DVsion thread, it worked for a lil bit, but would not re-engage. Also BF profile
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... e/2082369/
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Sorry to Necropants this thread but as it got referenced recently, I'll just update with the recent findings about this.

EAC completely disables 3dvision in any build 1903 and up. (assholes) I am now using 1809 because of it with the latest 3dvision compatible driver.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”