Alien Isolation - Epic store game crash fix (resolved)

Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Alien Isolation - Epic store game crash fix (resolved)

Post by Lysander »

So, as Alien Isolation was (still is for a few hours) free in Epic store today, I checked it out.
For me, the game was crashing with the 3D fix applied. It appears that to launch it from Epic store, you need to apply the same fix as someone else pointed out in the Mortal Shell thread - make sure epic store is running and then rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Extras\Overlay folder to something else (like Overlayy). Then the game should launch smoothly and 3D works pefrectly fine. I also selected latest 3DMIGOTO in 3DFM when prompted.

Now, it does not appear the Alias Isolation mode works. I downloaded the mod, launch the game from it, followed the required setup but don't see any difference in game with or without it and pressing CTL+DEL/CTL+INS does nothing. From reading the readme file, my suspicion is that somehow the mod doesn't inject into the Epic launcher, like it does for Steam. If anyone else got it working with the Epic version, please share.

Hope this helps someone.

cheers
Last edited by Lysander on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Alien Isolation - Epic store game carsh fix

Post by Pauldusler »

Lysander wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:14 pm So, as Alien Isolation was (still is for a few hours) free in Epic store today, I checked it out.
For me, the game was crashing with the 3D fix applied. It appears that to launch it from Epic store, you need to apply the same fix as someone else pointed out in the Mortal Shell thread - make sure epic store is running and then rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Extras\Overlay folder to something else (like Overlayy). Then the game should launch smoothly and 3D works pefrectly fine. I also selected latest 3DMIGOTO in 3DFM when prompted.

Now, it does not appear the Alias Isolation mode works. I downloaded the mod, launch the game from it, followed the required setup but don't see any difference in game with or without it and pressing CTL+DEL/CTL+INS does nothing. From reading the readme file, my suspicion is that somehow the mod doesn't inject into the Epic launcher, like it does for Steam. If anyone else got it working with the Epic version, please share.

Hope this helps someone.

cheers
Next 3DFM version will auto-disable the overlay when needed and auto re-enable it after game exit. I'll release the new version today or tomorrow. Currently I'm still moving the 3DFM website to a new server.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Pauldusler wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:09 am
Next 3DFM version will auto-disable the overlay when needed and auto re-enable it after game exit. I'll release the new version today or tomorrow. Currently I'm still moving the 3DFM website to a new server.
Niiiiice. Thank you.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

Ahahh reminds me this game has a coool full vr mod ill just try it ^^
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Losti wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:20 am Ahahh reminds me this game has a coool full vr mod ill just try it ^^
Does the game not work with HelixVision? Or does the mod offer additional features?
Losti

Post by Losti »

Lysander wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:07 am
Losti wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:20 am Ahahh reminds me this game has a coool full vr mod ill just try it ^^
Does the game not work with HelixVision? Or does the mod offer additional features?
I have tried the mod some times a go and it was full VR ready uncluding head tracking. But it seems not to work with the epic version. Ill try with steam later.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Ah, nice. That sounds scary :D
Losti

Post by Losti »

Hm.... not working with WMR as it seems :-(
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

No, I normally check the blog section but this was a quick test. Thx for the tips, I'll check those out, hopefully they'll work with the mod 🙂
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Hi guys,

So as I couldn't get the AliasIsolation mod to work with the Epic version and I set my mind on getting it to work, I got the original source code and modified it to work with the Epic version. For anyone interested, you can get it here:

https://github.com/Samlis/AliasIsolatio ... GamesStore

If you do try it, please provide feedback. It worked along with the 3D fix. Enjoy :)
AI006_085.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Losti

Post by Losti »

Lysander wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:40 pm Hi guys,

So as I couldn't get the AliasIsolation mod to work with the Epic version and I set my mind on getting it to work, I got the original source code and modified it to work with the Epic version. For anyone interested, you can get it here:

If you do try it, please provide feedback. It worked along with the 3D fix. Enjoy :)
Wooooooow thank you very much !! I skipped a replay some weeks ago because this was not working. Much Thanks!!
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Losti wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:05 am
Lysander wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:40 pm Hi guys,

Wooooooow thank you very much !! I skipped a replay some weeks ago because this was not working. Much Thanks!!
Glad you like it, Losti, please let me know if any issues. cheers :)
Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Alien Isolation - Epic store game crash fix (resolved)

Post by Shift-E »

PSA: Alien Isolation is FREE again on Epic Game Store if anyone missed it the first time around.
marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

Hello,

I've now managed to start Steam games in side-by-side.

But I have a lot of games in my Epic Game Launcher.
I also tested Alien Isolation with it and the game starts in SBS but the game crashes in the menu and I'm back on the desktop.

Does anyone know how to launch games from the epic store with tridef?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

3DNovice wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:57 pm
marcus locos wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:28 am Does anyone know how to launch games from the epic store with tridef?
Why TriDef? There's a community fix for Alien Isolation on the Helixblog
With Tridef you can play the game in FullHD. My brother has a FullHD projector and it even supports 4K resolution. My 4K projector only works at 1080p.

We ran through this with 3D Vision and then with Tridef. It's a huge difference. With Tridef it looks much better.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

3DNovice wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:04 pmInteresting, when you say FullHD, do you mean some type of HDR?

So did you try these steps with the community fix?
"5. Optional: Get the TAA Anti-Aliasing from: Alias Isolation"
"7. First run will ask for permissions, to set profile values, including TAA support."
"10.If you use single card, use in-game settings and set AO to Standard, not HDAO."
"11. For TAA (SLI is not supported), set in-game AA: SMAA T1x, Chromatic Aberration: Off, and Motion Blur: On"

There's also this suggestion
" Be sure to use Deep Color to improve the black levels for color banding."
Hi,

by FullHD I mean 1080p. With 3D Vision only 720p is possible.
As I said, we were able to play Alien Isolation in 3,840 x 2,160p on a projector.

I could improve almost all graphics settings after changing the ENGINE SETTINGS. After that, I was able to set Shadow Mapping resolution to 8K, for example.

Surface reflection has to be turned off.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to tell me with these graphics settings. I don't have any problems with them. The 3D image is perfect.

My question was why you can't launch Epic Games with Tridef?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2oiyb6txjuto ... 5.mp4?dl=0
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

3DNovice wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:24 pm
marcus locos wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:18 pm I don't quite understand what you are trying to tell me with these graphics settings. I don't have any problems with them. The 3D image is perfect.
3DNovice wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:24 pmUmm... because you said this
So my main question was why you can't launch games from the Epic Store with Tridef.
marcus locos wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:39 am We ran through this with 3D Vision and then with Tridef. It's a huge difference. With Tridef it looks much better.
3DNovice wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:24 pm I haven't tried TriDef in this game, but I can imagine that 3D Vision could be all that bad, especially if the fix guidelines are followed.
The 3D image with the Helix Fix was not bad. It was the best 3D experience for me but when I played the same game with Tridef it was just a huge difference.

It's normal:
3DTV Play = 720p 60Hz
Tridef 3D: 3840 x 2160p or 1920 x 1080p

I already checked with the 3D graphics settings on Alien Isolation back then. I think I already got the maximum out of it.
marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

3DNovice wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:32 pm
marcus locos wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:18 pm by FullHD I mean 1080p. With 3D Vision only 720p is possible.
3DNovice wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:32 pm3D Vision? or do you mean 3DTV Play?
Yes, that's right, 3DTV Play of course. That was my mistake
3DNovice wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:32 pmRegardless, you can play in higher resolutions in all games using Nvidia stereoscopic drivers depending on the required format/resolution /
refresh for your display.

Depending on the manufacturer or your PJ, you should be able to do 1920x1080@120Hz if it has a HDMI 2.0 input
Can you explain this in more detail? I have a 4K projector with HDMI 2.0.
But that would be new to me that you can play via 3DTV Play in 1080p 60Hz.

At my brother's house we played Alien Isolation on a FullHD projector.
A Benq 1070+. This has only HDMI 1.4.

Today I installed Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons via Epic Store and launched it with Tridef and I had no problems. So it's not Epic Store but the game" Alien Isolation".

My brother wants to install the game at his place. He only has the game on Epic Store. Why does it work through Steam but not Epic Store? Maybe someone has a solution for me. Thanks.

Another small tip: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice also looks fantastic with Tridef. It's just more fun with Tridef because of the higher resolution.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Post by Grant S »

Honestly Marcus with Tridef usually when it crashes like that now days is because of the games anti cheat software. EA's Battlefront Battlefront 2 both have that issue but a few Origin games play OK. They were like that when they first came out but were fixed by Tridef shortly after, broke and unsupported again soon after Tridef closed. I think the game you're trying to play uses easy anti-cheat. Possibly the win 10 version of easy anti-cheat doesn't even recognize the Tridef driver? I don't believe there is any other way to launch it with Tridef.
marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

3DNovice wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:31 pm When using a 3D fix for a dx11 game using 3DMigoto, you can enable Side by Side or Over/Under to get around the
720P@60/1080P@24 limitation of 3DTV Play, this is done via the d3dx.ini and uncommenting the desired format.
I believe that 3DFix Manager can do this for you (I do not use it) https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2017/05/3 ... nager.html

Using a 3D fix for a dx9 game using Helixmod, there is no option available via the wrapper.
Yes I am aware that you can start some games in SBS then you can also set the resolution to 1080p. This has worked quite well in these games:
Evil Within and A Plague Tale - Innocence.

You can find this description in the 3DFix Manager software or on the Helixmod page.
marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

3DNovice wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:31 pm Another option
3DNovice wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:50 am For those not using a Passive display or a 3DHD TV that supports checkerboard, here is a Reddit thread for 3DTV Play at greater than the 1080P@24 limitation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... hout_3dtv/

The posters original post on these forums
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=25191&p=175430&hi ... te#p175430
3DNovice wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:31 pm A 4K projector would require that support for Frame Sequential at 1920x1080@120Hz is supported on a HDMI 2.0 input. First read this original thread
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... 0x1080-12/
Thank you. I'll have to read up on it first.
3DNovice wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:31 pm Then use the forum search on this forum and search for additional information pertaining to your model.
But this does require a Nvidia emitter in order for Generic CRT to unlock.
I use this 4K projector: BenQ W2700
Hopefully it will work with it without any problems.
An Nvidia emitter is available.
3DNovice wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:31 pm I have no clue to TriDef/Epic game launcher issues, sorry :(
No problem. But I found out something now.
When I install Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons via the Epic Game Launcher and start it with Tridef then the Epic Game Launcher does not open in the background.

If I start Alien Isolation then the Epic Game Launcher opens in the background.
This might be the problem why it doesn't work.

Is there no way that I can start Alien Isolation without the Epic software?
It works with Brothers too!
marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

Grant S wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:16 pm Honestly Marcus with Tridef usually when it crashes like that now days is because of the games anti cheat software. EA's Battlefront Battlefront 2 both have that issue but a few Origin games play OK. They were like that when they first came out but were fixed by Tridef shortly after, broke and unsupported again soon after Tridef closed. I think the game you're trying to play uses easy anti-cheat. Possibly the win 10 version of easy anti-cheat doesn't even recognize the Tridef driver? I don't believe there is any other way to launch it with Tridef.
I have no experience with anti-cheat software. Alien Isolation works with Tridef when I install the game via Steam. It works on Windows 10 and also on Windows 7.

I first thought the problem was caused by the Epic Game Launcher. But the game "Brothers" I have also from the Epic Game Launcher and that works. So the error must be somewhere else.

I have posted a video. You can see that it starts in Side by Side and only in the menu the game is aborted. I think there is certainly a solution to this problem and hope that I find a solution with your help.
marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

And one more hint...
After I launched Alien Isolation and crashed, the Epic Game Launcher in the taskbar looks like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

Which I also find strange. When I start the Epic Game Launcher and then start the game via Tridef, the game always starts in 2D.

So I have to quit the Epic Game Launcher and start the game then I get a picture in Side by Side.
marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

I think you just have to find the right setting. Do any of you have any other ideas?
1.JPG
2.JPG
marcus locos
Cross Eyed!

Post by marcus locos »

one more remark.
When I start the game then I always get a notification in the upper right corner:

You now have the status online in the Epic friends window

Then I can select the following with Shift+F3:
Do not disturb - Disable all notifications.

If I do that and restart the game.
then I am online again and all notifications are enabled. So I would have to end this every time.

When the game starts in SBS then I don't get this notification.

Maybe it's because I have the status online in the friends window. If you could set it offline it might work but how do I set it to offline?
2.JPG

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”