Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Post by RAGEdemon »

If I recall correctly, the game's hard cap is 144fps... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Lysander wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:29 pm
RAGEdemon wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:05 pm Just started this - Thank you DJ-RK - phenomenal work. Reminiscent of Jedi Knight 1 and 2 which were brilliant.

I did some preliminary benchmarks on system in sig - GPU stayed well below 100% so the bottlenecks were CPU only (the game doesn't scale past 4 cores even in 2D) - tests were all done at maxed settings:

2D = 100 fps
3DVision = 40 fps
I don't understand how you get 100fps in 2D - I lowered my res to 1280x768, medium settings and max I get is 60 - it's like the game is locked to 60 and won't go above it (that's what afterburner is showing), but my MAX FPS setting is at 120. (I'm on RTX2060/3600X). This is at the beginning of the game, in the shipyard.
Well, you know me, I couldn't care less what anyone gets in 2D. But I can add that in 3D I can only get maybe 50 fps for this game at 1080p, using a 1080ti/8700K.

But what works better is to set the in-game cap to 30 fps, which provides a smooth experience instead of that wildly swinging frame rates that can cause you to die during fights. Not ideal of course, but best compromise for this game, because it runs like crap. Even in 2D with heavy hitting hardware, people get loading and glitch stalls all the time.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

bo3bber wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:46 pm
Well, you know me, I couldn't care less what anyone gets in 2D. But I can add that in 3D I can only get maybe 50 fps for this game at 1080p, using a 1080ti/8700K.

But what works better is to set the in-game cap to 30 fps, which provides a smooth experience instead of that wildly swinging frame rates that can cause you to die during fights. Not ideal of course, but best compromise for this game, because it runs like crap. Even in 2D with heavy hitting hardware, people get loading and glitch stalls all the time.
Me too but I'm just checking 2d to eliminate all possible bottlenecks. Its disappointing. I might try the 30fps and motion blur but it's a hard sell, I'm considering returning the game if i can get my coupon back :( I really like smooth frame rate, I'd even sacrifice visuals but it's no help lowering anything. And seeing g ppl reporting this 1 year ago doesnt bode well for any patching.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
BazzaLB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BazzaLB »

This game always stuttered in 3D for me and I wasn't exactly asking for much in terms of resolution (720p). I have i7 7700K@4.7 with 1080ti and 32gig ram. First thing I did was disable auto convergence as that killed frame rate for me. However, I simply gave up in the end as there was always somewhere where the frame rate tanked (usually when I was expected to combat someone) despite being smooth in most of the cases. Just played in 2D in the end where I could turn up all the bells and whistles and have smooth combat (never finished it as a result mind you).
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Lysander wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:39 amMe too but I'm just checking 2d to eliminate all possible bottlenecks. Its disappointing. I might try the 30fps and motion blur but it's a hard sell, I'm considering returning the game if i can get my coupon back :( I really like smooth frame rate, I'd even sacrifice visuals but it's no help lowering anything. And seeing g ppl reporting this 1 year ago doesnt bode well for any patching.
I think this depends upon whether you are Star Wars fan or not. If you are, you really should not miss this spectacular version in 3D, merely because the performance is not ideal. It doesn't make any difference in the game, this is not a twitch shooter.

That's why I suggest the 30 fps cap- because that's what the game was designed for on console originally. It runs 100% smooth at 30. When people try to push it higher is when it's worse.
BazzaLB wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:51 pm This game always stuttered in 3D for me and I wasn't exactly asking for much in terms of resolution (720p). I have i7 7700K@4.7 with 1080ti and 32gig ram. First thing I did was disable auto convergence as that killed frame rate for me. However, I simply gave up in the end as there was always somewhere where the frame rate tanked (usually when I was expected to combat someone) despite being smooth in most of the cases. Just played in 2D in the end where I could turn up all the bells and whistles and have smooth combat (never finished it as a result mind you).
The game stutters for everyone, even in 2D. Even off a fast SSD or Optane drive. It's just not well optimized.

The game is CPU bound and won't run at 60 on any machine, anywhere, in 3D. That's why I suggest setting the frame cap to 30- that's what it was designed for, and runs smoothly at 30.

For people wondering, don't be a PC master race snob and refuse to play at 30. With DJ-RK's fix in 3D, It's one of my top three games of all time.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

Bob, do you also suggest this game for me, not having any knowledge or Interest in Star Wars in general?
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Yeah, it's not about being snobbish, low frame rate genuinely feels unpleasant to me, I really notice it. I'll tinker some more and see if I can find some sweet spot.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

Losti wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:55 pm Bob, do you also suggest this game for me, not having any knowledge or Interest in Star Wars in general?
That's a tougher call if you don't have interest in Star Wars. Part of the real charm of this game is the amazingly detailed Star Wars worlds, and fighting with the laser sword. The story is pretty good, and is nicely tied to the canon. The 30 fps rate might be a deal breaker depending upon what is important to you.

However, there is one spot where it might still be interesting. If you are a Dark Souls fan, this has the same gameplay as a Dark Souls game, but in Star Wars environments.
Lysander wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:25 am Yeah, it's not about being snobbish, low frame rate genuinely feels unpleasant to me, I really notice it. I'll tinker some more and see if I can find some sweet spot.
Yep, everyone is different about what they find acceptable or not. I can just say that I found the 30 fps to not be that bad, particularly on the giant HelixVision screen. I notice it, but don't find it objectionable.

Only way to get better frame rates is CPU overclocking I think. The game is CPU bound. With an 8700k, I can *almost* pull 45 fps consistenly, but not quite enough. I shoot for either 45 as half the HMD frequency, or 30, which is 1/3. You can always dial the frame rate limiter in the NVidia control panel to other arbitrary numbers, like 35 or 38 or whatever works. 40 might be a good one to try as an even multiple of the normal 120 3D Vision.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

bo3bber wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:09 pm However, there is one spot where it might still be interesting. If you are a Dark Souls fan, this has the same gameplay as a Dark Souls game, but in Star Wars environments.
Oh. That's hilarious, because I just finished Lords of the Fallen (another fantastic fix) and wanted something easier for a break 😂 Is it equally hard?

So coming from Lords, which had superb performance makes the FO issues even more pronounced for me but I think I can get past it. Tried it again, turned off AA which was causing annoying shimmers and I dunno if it helped but I set some -NOCPUCORELIMIT on launch command as well (saw it in some guide). The 30fps limit didn't seem to differ from 120 but I have to explore more areas to see if the issue worsens. I was still just running around the beginning starship.

Anyway, I think I can tolerate it as the game really looks amazing both from graphical perspective and 3D and sounds fun. I just have to forget what 60fps 3D feels like 😁
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

The one thing I will add on the subject of performance is that the game actually did hit 60 FPS quite easily a lot of the time for me. These were mostly during the climbing or crawlspace sequences (which there are PLENTY of these throughout the game, and made them actually enjoyable and refreshing instead of boring and tedious), as well as most interior levels, so my personal recommendation would be a) don't let the performance of the first two planets make you think that's how it is for the whole game (I think it's safe to say Bogano has the worst performance in the game) and to keep on trucking, and b) to not cap your FPS until you've played for a bit and gotten to experience some of these.

Overall, I actually felt performance was pretty decent, generally above 40 FPS and again, enough of these 60 FPS sequences to feel like they matter and bring up the overall experience.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

well, I'm on the 2nd planet now and it's manageable, game is really cool (TR in Star Wars with great melee combat?! hell yeah!) and the 3D fix is fantastic. Out of curiosity, what depth/convergence values do you guys use (values on the green text that shows up in the game when switching convergence)?
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

DJ-RK wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:09 pm The one thing I will add on the subject of performance is that the game actually did hit 60 FPS quite easily a lot of the time for me. These were mostly during the climbing or crawlspace sequences (which there are PLENTY of these throughout the game, and made them actually enjoyable and refreshing instead of boring and tedious), as well as most interior levels, so my personal recommendation would be a) don't let the performance of the first two planets make you think that's how it is for the whole game (I think it's safe to say Bogano has the worst performance in the game) and to keep on trucking, and b) to not cap your FPS until you've played for a bit and gotten to experience some of these.

Overall, I actually felt performance was pretty decent, generally above 40 FPS and again, enough of these 60 FPS sequences to feel like they matter and bring up the overall experience.
I'm about 3/4 of the way through on my Grand Jedi Master playthrough. Finally managed to kill Malicos after a couple of days of trying. Strange because 9th Sister I took down on the first try. The HelixVision experience on this playthrough is really terrific with life-size worlds.

I'll try your suggestion of letting the cap run higher. The loading stalls are unavoidable, but it'd be nice to have smoother gameplay during fights, the 30 cap is noticeable, but not annoying to me.

Lysander wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:16 pmOh. That's hilarious, because I just finished Lords of the Fallen (another fantastic fix) and wanted something easier for a break 😂 Is it equally hard?
One thing different here is that you can lower the difficulty whenever you want. So it doesn't have to be super demanding like Lords.
Ephedup
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ephedup »

*edited*

Hi all,

First, thank you so much for all the work on this and all other fixes. I have been a lurker in this community for ~10 years. I'm generally too late to the show to bring value here, but I have so much love/respect for this group and I try to evangelize to anyone that will listen.

I wrote a long post about major performance issues when playing JFO in VR with or without Helixvision and suspecting it was somehow related to auto convergence, but after further testing I have determined the issues occur with or without it. Gonna give up on this one for now. Sorry for the nonsense post.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Ephedup wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:37 pm *edited*

Hi all,

First, thank you so much for all the work on this and all other fixes. I have been a lurker in this community for ~10 years. I'm generally too late to the show to bring value here, but I have so much love/respect for this group and I try to evangelize to anyone that will listen.

I wrote a long post about major performance issues when playing JFO in VR with or without Helixvision and suspecting it was somehow related to auto convergence, but after further testing I have determined the issues occur with or without it. Gonna give up on this one for now. Sorry for the nonsense post.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure autoconvergence doesn't cause performance issues, it merely makes the existing performance issues more noticeable because when the smooth transitions are choppy it's very noticeable. Kinda like how in a lot of games if you just run forward you won't notice performance issues as much as if you stand in place and rotate the camera, because the camera rotation is a smooth motion and low FPS makes the choppiness a lot more apparent.

Another thing I'll add to the general discussion here is that I finally picked up my own copy of the game in the autumn Steam sale, so I'm able to provide ongoing support now if ever need be, although this seems to be one game that will probably (and hopefully) never need it.
Ephedup
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ephedup »

So I couldn't resist revisiting this. I use a Quest 1 with Virtual Desktop and use Helixvision in T&B 3D. I had previously capped FPS at 36 to try to hit the 72 FPS limit of the Quest. In the end, limiting the FPS to 30 resolved the issues I was experiencing. I realize the 30 FPS limit was documented, but well... hubris... It made ALL the difference and I just finished the game. Yay!
Skawen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Skawen »

If someone still don't have a game in cdkeys is best price ever 0.99 EUR - https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/star-wa ... -origin-pc
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Skawen wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:51 am If someone still don't have a game in cdkeys is best price ever 0.99 EUR - https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/star-wa ... -origin-pc
OR free on Amazon Prime until end of Jan
Losti

Post by Losti »

Lysander wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:37 am
Skawen wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:51 am If someone still don't have a game in cdkeys is best price ever 0.99 EUR - https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/star-wa ... -origin-pc
OR free on Amazon Prime until end of Jan
TY for the info!!!! do you have a direct link? i cant find it ^^
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Losti wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:58 pm TY for the info!!!! do you have a direct link? i cant find it ^^
https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/starwars ... 1F_P1_CRWN
Losti

Post by Losti »

Lysander wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:40 pm
Losti wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:58 pm TY for the info!!!! do you have a direct link? i cant find it ^^
https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/starwars ... 1F_P1_CRWN
WORKING, THANK YOU!!!!
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Np :)

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”