The Medium

Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: The Medium

Post by Losti »

whyme466 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:57 am
whyme466 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 am While trying to find Thomas in hotel, I encountered missing textures (checkerboard-like transparent pattern appearing on multiple surfaces, when moving to exterior balcony of hotel second floor.
This is the issue that my uploaded .txt file corrects. You can view the problem by testing the save folder that I provided in the link above.
OK if you won’t tell me I’ll find it out by my own....

May be you can’t understand me right? Translation lags?

I try to find out the issues because it can be helpful for other games. For the things with the shader you have attached you also do not have told me what you have done here but I can track this. But would be nice if I do not have to ask for information.........I spend a lot of time in shader hacking and any time saving information would be cool....

There is a RegEx in principle doing nothing anymore since some updates but I have done some wrong things here. I can simply remove it now because the issue i was trying to address was never been present anymore. Means removing the RegEx will cure the things @ the balcony.

But I triggered some things happens if something is wrong is used/done with and discovered a never seen phenomena. ill addressing this currently.

Would be cool if you can contact me @ discord for a discussion those times, I appreciate your reports but i hate to pull out any details on the things in a forum thread "chat"! ^^

EDIT:

I have found out an issue that never been present before. The RegEx for Decals will be applied but needs a move to a register in dependency on some value but it will also be processed if the VALUE do not match, means it FAILS and flickers. Retruning back to the OLD DHR formula for decals will fix this. So my next mission is an IF CLAUSE to skipp the new version of decal fixes and return to the old ones. NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would be another improvement to the universal fix, may it has caused some textures to flicker with squares in other games !!!

EDIT:

@ whyme466

I saw you simply disable the output for this shader. Be carefull doing this, its may be used in other scenes because its some of the main refletion shaders. May be its only active in this scene, but may be not. I suggest some toggle key for those actions. BUT in this case, the issue is causes by my RegEx, ill fix this those days means you do not need to disable this shader or create a toggle key for this ^^ Ask my on discord if you want to know how to do its a bit more to explain in detail but not complicated.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Sorry, I cannot tell you any RegEx information. I simply used the UE4 troubleshooting process to identify which PS shader was isolated by pressing NUMPAD3 (the shader associated with the problem), and shared the new file created in my ShaderFixes folder, so someone else does not have to repeat this troubleshooting process, until a fix update is released (which may or may not occur). It would be great if the problematic RegEx could be fixed, but I cannot help in this realm, unfortunately.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Losti

Post by Losti »

whyme466 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:37 am Sorry, I cannot tell you any RegEx information. I simply used the UE4 troubleshooting process to identify which PS shader was isolated by pressing NUMPAD3 (the shader associated with the problem), and shared the new file created in my ShaderFixes folder, so someone else does not have to repeat this troubleshooting process, until a fix update is released (which may or may not occur). It would be great if the problematic RegEx could be fixed, but I cannot help in this realm, unfortunately.
Ahhhhhh you used the Shader disable function from the config tool. Cool ;-) ok so never mind.

Ill give you the Shader back today without disable and with fixed isse. As this is a reflection Shader its disble can kill reflections in other scenes. I suggest reporting issues if a Shader is wrong that was caught by a RegEx than disable it. Disble shaders only if there is no RegEx catch.
Ill also Update the fix ref. the flickering decals too.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Thanks for updating the fix for The Medium, Losti.

Perhaps if you have time, you might be able to look at the next issue I found - light clipping at a distant bright light source, in a specific scene triggered by the invisible monster (left shoulder button on XBOX controller to see it, move forward slightly). See Medium SaveGames light clipping folder at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 3KmzfSn6ND. I cycled through all PS and VS shaders in V3.70 troubleshooting mode, temporarily removed the second floor exterior lighting "fix" shader, and used all troubleshooting options like Object FIX (all 4 modes) and Object Flicker/Clip FIX, but nothing changed this scene's light clipping. Note that this issue disappears once you get past the monster (progress further in game).
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Losti

Post by Losti »

whyme466 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:50 am Thanks for updating the fix for The Medium, Losti.

Perhaps if you have time, you might be able to look at the next issue I found - light clipping at a distant bright light source, in a specific scene triggered by the invisible monster (left shoulder button on XBOX controller to see it, move forward slightly). See Medium SaveGames light clipping folder at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 3KmzfSn6ND. I cycled through all PS and VS shaders in V3.70 troubleshooting mode, temporarily removed the second floor exterior lighting "fix" shader, and used all troubleshooting options like Object FIX (all 4 modes) and Object Flicker/Clip FIX, but nothing changed this scene's light clipping. Note that this issue disappears once you get past the monster (progress further in game).
Il update the fix for the tihngs i have found and add this also to the universal fix. than ill have a look. Sorry i have a delay i have to work until now on some programming for my work, so please be patient, ill check back to you hopefully tomorrow. THANK YOU for reporting !! And also for your encourage to fix things by your own, ill really appreciate this, not just telling me NOT WORKING like many will/would have do/done ^^

I am thinking of doing something to teach people interested in shader hacking, I just don't know how and in what form, because the whole thing is super complex and you just can't convey everything that concerns experience.

Let's see when I have time to seriously think about it.

BUT ONE IS SURE: MASTEROTAKU / DSS / HELIFAX I can't even begin to hold a candle ^^
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Almost finished with this outstanding game, enhanced incredibly by Losti's fix - I hope many others can experience it.

Losti, If you are considering creating any training material for would-be shaderhackers, you may want to first look at the extremely detailed tutorial information that bo3b created on the old NVIDIA 3D Vision web site. Unfortunately, NVIDIA broke all the extensive links when they transitioned to a "new and improved" environment - and lost all of us. You also may want to start first with some simple guidelines for using your .cmd environment in trouble-shooting problems in UE4 games (so more forum users start using the UE4 advanced features), before investing more time creating even more complex guidance - just my opinion, though. You have put a LOT of work into updating the UE4 fix environment, and games like The Medium really showcase the quality of the work. Thanks again.
Losti

Post by Losti »

It was just an idea, not making Guides, i mean making some webinar or Video Tutorial. But not before Winter and may be never. Just some thinings about from me. Depends on the things will happen this year ref. 3D, corona and so on :-)
Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Shift-E »

whyme466 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:10 pm Almost finished with this outstanding game, enhanced incredibly by Losti's fix - I hope many others can experience it.
I definitely plan on picking it up eventually, can I ask what kind of performance you are getting in 3D? I hear this game is rough to run in just mere mortal 2D
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

whyme466 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 am...With my setup, I am generally maintaining 20-25 fps, even in split screen mode (4k resolution setting, but some other settings like Shadow quality reduced to maintain fps - see guides like https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-medium/bes ... ings-60fps). HDR mode does not work on my setup, turning screen/game black and requiring a .ini config file change to remove...
Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Shift-E »

whyme466 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:21 am
whyme466 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 am...With my setup, I am generally maintaining 20-25 fps, even in split screen mode (4k resolution setting, but some other settings like Shadow quality reduced to maintain fps - see guides like https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-medium/bes ... ings-60fps). HDR mode does not work on my setup, turning screen/game black and requiring a .ini config file change to remove...
ahh sorry, i thought that was someones else's earlier performance post. on a 2080ti, thats pretty rough. I don't like to go under 40 FPS in 3D, but maybe the nature of this game makes it more palatable. Shame about HDR not working, although I remember having issues with their last game too. I'll probably pick this up during the next sale..
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Same here with HDR and same ini config change to remove it, I think no games with UE4 Universal fix are working in HDR, there must be something wrong with the Universal fix but Losti doesn't have any HDR screen so he can't check this bug...
Did you try in window screen and without the UE4 fix?
Losti

Post by Losti »

Chtiblue wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:36 pm
Same here with HDR and same ini config change to remove it, I think no games with UE4 Universal fix are working in HDR, there must be something wrong with the Universal fix but Losti doesn't have any HDR screen so he can't check this bug...
Yepp. No way to fix it until i get an 2080ti but the price is still too high.
Losti

Post by Losti »

Chtiblue wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:36 pm
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If i am lucky and was not trapped (and i am very carefull here with this an the offer was really convincing) my RTX 2080Ti will be delivered the next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1000 € after suggesting a price for the seller and he end up his auction now!!!!!!!!!!!! The funny thing, sice MINIG is an issue....I can sell my GTX-1080-Ti for arround 700-800 € °_°

Than i can have a look @ this HDR issue!
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

AWesome Losti that's a good price, particulary for the 1080Ti too!

But I don't see the relation with HDR here. Isn't HDR related to the screen, Tv or video projector?
Losti

Post by Losti »

Chtiblue wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:10 pm AWesome Losti that's a good price, particulary for the 1080Ti too!

But I don't see the relation with HDR here. Isn't HDR related to the screen, Tv or video projector?
Oh ähm ok :-) so never mind.
WickedScav
Cross Eyed!

Post by WickedScav »

Thanks for the fix, it really improves the experience of this amazing game.

Unfortunately I have experience so far two issues.

1. The black textures bug in the hotel and when leaving one room for the balcony, which was already mentioned here (cycling through the object fixes does not solve the problem).

2. But I also get some annoying convergence sort of bug in the alternate reality scenes (as seen in the screenshot). Depending on the convergence, the character in the alternate reality is lighted or shadowed wrongly: the shadows (or whatever it is) is basically not on top of the model anymore but leaves the character whenever he goes out of focus. When I change the convergence again to the ideal value, it's fine, but as soon as I go deeper or come closer to the screen, the issue pops slowly up again. Auto-depth is basically unusable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

If you add the .ps file I uploaded on the previous page of this forum discussion (.txt file not needed, it will be automatically created from .ps file) to the existing Shader fix folder, the balcony exterior texture problem should be fixed…
WickedScav
Cross Eyed!

Post by WickedScav »

whyme466 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:41 am If you add the .ps file I uploaded on the previous page of this forum discussion (.txt file not needed, it will be automatically created from .ps file) to the existing Shader fix folder, the balcony exterior texture problem should be fixed…
Thanks, I will try this fix this evening.

Just wondering, if there is a possible fix for the other problem, as this one is way more annoying because it happens basically all the time in the split screen mode...
Losti

Post by Losti »

Simply Universal fix 5.0 :-) you can just use the shaderfixes folder from there. After replacement replace autoconvergemce files back from the Medium fix.This should keep the advanced hud fix. If not i can update this fix in 2 weeks may be at my discord Channel. The place you will get the Universal fix Update too. Im not sure this Time But u think i have an Update for the Medium there as well. Im on vacation and very limitid in Internet connection:-)
WickedScav
Cross Eyed!

Post by WickedScav »

Losti wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:51 pm Simply Universal fix 5.0 :-) you can just use the shaderfixes folder from there. After replacement replace autoconvergemce files back from the Medium fix.This should keep the advanced hud fix. If not i can update this fix in 2 weeks may be at my discord Channel. The place you will get the Universal fix Update too. Im not sure this Time But u think i have an Update for the Medium there as well. Im on vacation and very limitid in Internet connection:-)
After getting access to your discord channel, I downloaded and tried The Medium Fix v1.3 which seems to solve the convergence issue so far :D Thanks again for all your work. Now I can continue enjoying this great game!
Losti

Post by Losti »

YEAH have a nice game, your Wellcome
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Just finished The Medium, Bloober Team strikes again!
Their games really shines in 3D, Layers of fear, Observer and now The Medium: Unique Artistic direction, awesome level design and great story writing/driving 8)

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”