3D not working on Alienware laptop

Locutus2k
One Eyed Hopeful

3D not working on Alienware laptop

Post by Locutus2k »

HI, i have an Alienware 17 laptop, old generation, i think R4 with 120hz monitor and 3d emitter integrated. Card is a GTX 880m on the latest and final driver. Everything worked fine with 3D vision until windows 10 upgrade. Now drivers installs correctly, i can see correct 3D in the setup process but if i launch a 3D file the screen goes blank. The 3D fix app tells me everything is ok but IR emitter not connected and a warning sign on display monitor. How can i fix this? I realy like 3D and unfortunately the hd is so small i don't have space for installing win7 or other OS (less than 20gb available). Thanks for any help.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: 3D not working on Alienware laptop

Post by Losti »

Do you have a 3D vision controller installed in device Manager without a warning symbol?May try switching the USB port you connect the emitter ?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Locutus2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Locutus2k »

Losti wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:14 am Do you have a 3D vision controller installed in device Manager without a warning symbol?May try switching the USB port you connect the emitter ?
No, the emitter/controller is integrated in the Alienware display. I cannot find a reference in device manager, but even when i was on win 8.1 and everything worked fine there was no reference in device manager.
Locutus2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Locutus2k »

3DNovice wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:01 am Since the 3D Vision Wizaed is working....

Exactly what games have you tried?
I'm trying to play movies at this moment, not games. mkv sbs files and 3d iso files i've made myself from my bluray discs. They worked fine before on win 8.1. I'm using Powerdvd ver. 15 and 19 both originals. I will try to play a game but the fact is that the Nvidia 3D wizard works fine, i can see stereoscopic demo at the end, so the emitter, driver etc. is all working fine, but as soon as i try to launch an "external" 3D file the screen goes blank. I'm on the latest Win 10 version 21H1.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

If you are not a gamer, you really should try some stereoscopic gaming and be astonished by the results.

We can recommend some that are enjoyable without mashing buttons.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

Locutus2k wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:58 am
Losti wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:14 am Do you have a 3D vision controller installed in device Manager without a warning symbol?May try switching the USB port you connect the emitter ?
No, the emitter/controller is integrated in the Alienware display. I cannot find a reference in device manager, but even when i was on win 8.1 and everything worked fine there was no reference in device manager.
Ahh than its ok that 3DFM tells you that it is not connect. Thats not the issue.
Locutus2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Locutus2k »

3DNovice wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:29 am If you are not a gamer, you really should try some stereoscopic gaming and be astonished by the results.

We can recommend some that are enjoyable without mashing buttons.
I'm a gamer, too. I've played many games in 3D. I have finished 2 times Diablo 3 with different builds in 3D from the start. Amazing!
Locutus2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Locutus2k »

3DNovice wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:26 am Search the forums, there are several posts about PowerDVD Ultra version and what is working on what driver.
It's even talked about in the new Windows 11 thread.

You might try Corel's WinDVD Pro or DVDFab's 3D Blue-ray player or even Nvidia's stereoscopic player via the workaround upgraded license.

Please post your solution, so that others might find it useful.

GL
Thanks for the input! I'm a little lost here: searching the forum i understand there is a hack to dll to make 3D vision work in win 10 and power dvd, but can't find exactly what they were talking. I will search deeply but if someone can point me to a thread where there is some kind of "guide" on how to i will be very grateful.
Locutus2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Locutus2k »

A little update: tried to play a 3D game (Diablo 3), but it started in 2D. I have used 3dfix manager last version to launch the 3d game.
Locutus2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Locutus2k »

Update #2 following your suggestion i've tried DVDFAB player ultra and 3D bluray iso load correctly and are played in 3D. Unfortunately i've broke my nvida glasses and i don't have the spare ones with me (right now i'm in vacation) but i hope the emitter is working, too.
The 3D fix manager tells me that i can install 452.06 driver, at the moment i'm on 425.31 (gtx 880m). Is this something i should do?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

425.31 was the last official stereoscopic driver released by Nvidia.
Laptops can be squirrelly, drivers later than 425.31 require modifications that may or may not work with your laptop.

On Amazon, a 3rd party Nvidia compatible emitter/glasses kit is available.
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=25411&p
rizarefaldi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rizarefaldi »

Update #2 following your suggestion i've tried DVDFAB player ultra and 3D bluray iso load correctly and are played in 3D. Unfortunately i've broke my nvida glasses and i don't have the spare ones with me (right now i'm in vacation) but i hope the emitter is working, too cara install windows 10
The 3D fix manager tells me that i can install 452.06 driver, at the moment i'm on 425.31 (gtx 880m). Is this something i should do?
Nice, im also getting this issue and DVDFAB player ultra fix this issue.
btw im still using 425.31 driver which runs well.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”