DLSS with 3D Vision... Salvation for the future?

RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

DLSS with 3D Vision... Salvation for the future?

Post by RAGEdemon »

Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) = Performance advantages of Low Resolution with Image Quality of High Resolution.

Most people have native 1080p displays that can DSR to 4k - Imagine playing DSR4K at the performance of 1080p native - now you can! DLSS@1080p or even DLSS@720p can be used to give amazing image quality at DSR4k at a native 1080p performance cost, with perfect antialiasing and crisp textures. I have tried this with Control, a long time ago, but can't remember my results.

Example of performance gains in a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0CfjTAQxg

DLSS 2.2 has just been released. AMD have also released their own version as an open standard. It is DX11 and DX12 and Vulkan, though I am not familiar with the differences or caveats. It is clear however that DLSS is going to be a huge factor in games going forward.

With most of us 3D vision gamers having a hard ceiling of a 2080Ti, could we use DLSS to give us performance improvements going into the future?

Has anyone tried DLSS in any games with 3D vision? Results?

Please pardon my ignorance - I thought we could all get a better understanding of where we stand if I made a thread about it. I know Helifax has been doing godlike things with his wrapper/driver, but that is about the extent of my knowledge as far as DLSS goes... :)
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: DLSS with 3D Vision... Salvation for the future?

Post by Lysander »

Yes, I have seen some post here mention DLSS, I'm pretty sure. It doesnt work, 3dmigoto doesnt support it. I tried it myself in SOTTR and it introduced some weird artifacts, so no go.

I'm sure you've seen Helifax mention he might try to add support to vk3dv, otherwise I think we're out of luck.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
BazzaLB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BazzaLB »

I think you need DLSS 2.1 for VR so perhaps the same goes for 3D? Perhaps DLSS 2.0 and lower produce artifacts for stereoscopic vision and hence why DLSS 2.1 is needed for VR implementation- not sure on that one.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

BazzaLB wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:30 pm I think you need DLSS 2.1 for VR so perhaps the same goes for 3D? Perhaps DLSS 2.0 and lower produce artifacts for stereoscopic vision and hence why DLSS 2.1 is needed for VR implementation- not sure on that one.
I hadn't considered that haloing would be a factor with old DLSS, thanks for the education!

@D-Man, that's really interesting! I know for RTX, they only send some light rays which causes a lot of grain, but their grain resolving is amazing. I wonder if for non-RTX workloads, they are doing the same thing and calling it DLSS. e.g. starting with a checkboard pattern @ 4k and then resolving the blank pixels in between using "AI", rather than upscaling straight from low-res.

Your link shows that PS is far more advanced than PC at the time - I won't pretend to understand exactly what they are doing, however it looks fascinating: "Our performance analysis has shown that the system achieves significant speed up over a naive stereo rendering, while introducing negligible loss in quality. Due to the use of adaptive ray-tracing, the system does not suffer from typical inpainting [haloing?] problems and scales very well with scene complexity and rendering resolution, even surpassing a rasterization-based hole-filling approach."

I don't know if you have VR yet mate, however SteamVR/WMR are doing some amazing things with re-projection - they are using vectors to generate up to 3 artificial frames in between real frames - they call it "Motion Smoothing". Basically, you can have the game run at 30fps and the output will be 90fps due to the interpolated frames - they are not amazing and do have artefacts, but the results are far better than the old reprojection method, or having low fps altogether...
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

RAGEdemon wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:23 am I don't know if you have VR yet mate, however SteamVR/WMR are doing some amazing things with re-projection - they are using vectors to generate up to 3 artificial frames in between real frames - they call it "Motion Smoothing". Basically, you can have the game run at 30fps and the output will be 90fps due to the interpolated frames - they are not amazing and do have artefacts, but the results are far better than the old reprojection method, or having low fps altogether...
I have a Vive Pro. It can be hit and miss but I was running MSFS as low as 18.5 fps.. targeting 90hz and I was astounded as to how smooth it looked. There were some artifacting issues with props that were eliminated by changing the alpha of the prop texture. This only left very minor artifacting that once in the air was not noticeable at all. I could not believe such a low frame rate could look smooth.

I was also running DCS at 30fps and there were no artifacts what so ever and it was so fluid I could not tell it wasnt running at native 90fps. Some race sims on the other hand, running at less than 90fps native was very obvious.

I have a new machine now (11900K/3080) so run MSFS at 30fps and DCS at 45 with maxed out settings. I don't use motion smoothing for my race sims. It seems ideal for flight sims though.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

I have just come to know that some clever person has hacked VR games to work with FSR, even on nVidia cards. I have tried Rush and Google Earth VR - It works!

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality ... yfx_super/
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

RAGEdemon wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:05 pm I have just come to know that some clever person has hacked VR games to work with FSR, even on nVidia cards. I have tried Rush and Google Earth VR - It works!

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality ... yfx_super/
It does. I tried it with Automobilista 2 (race sim) and I didn't like the results tbh. The modded open_vr rendered my game at 77% then up sampled back to 100% using FSR, but it looked worse than if I just ran SteamVR at 77%. I'm not that impressed with FSR really.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Interesting; thanks for sharing!

I have tried at 0.60 with sharpening at 0.99 - It's not bad but I haven't done side by side comparisons. The observed difference to me and this might be a placebo:

While reducing SS increases blurriness, doing it via FSR increases the sharpness of the textures and some /something/ to the edges - I am not sure if that something is better or worse - it's crisper but also more aliased... I think.

You can also turn FSR off by setting it to 1.0, and only use the sharpening pass to crispen edges and possibly textures... needs more experimenting :)
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Update:

VR Side-By-Side comparisons by the developer:

Skyrim https://imgsli.com/NjAxNTM/0/1
Fallout 4 a. https://imgsli.com/NjAxNTE/0/1
Fallout 4 b. https://imgsli.com/NTk1OTI/2/1
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Boy, do I hope Helifax is successful with DLSS support (and, of course, masterotaku with the shaderfixing).

RDR2 performance boosted by 45% with DLSS.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-d ... 01-10abi2f
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Yep it would be icing on a golden cake 8)
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kakashisensei »

Unfortunately, you need new drivers for DLSS. Had to update to the latest driver to have DLSS for RDR2, so good bye 3dvision. Luckily I have a dual boot setup, so I'll have to move my 3d vision and 3DFixManager setup to the other windows install. Unless theres a work around I don't know where you can use DLSS updates without having to update drivers.

Btw, DLSS is pretty good for RDR2. Some minor visual glitches with street lighting and some types of clouds, but it looks very close to native 4k. I would say it looks better than the ultra preset, because that is way too blurry with TXAA high. Looks more like TXAA medium with 50% txaa sharpening, which looks nice a sharp instead of blurry. I'm getting a consistent 60fps capped on 4k ultra settings with my 2080 ti, with DLSS Quality mode.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”