Lume Pad Lightfield Tablet

nimatoed
One Eyed Hopeful

Lume Pad Lightfield Tablet

Post by nimatoed »

Hey everyone,

Been a member of MTBS3D for a very long time now! I remember looking at it in my freshman year of college in 2010 and trying to sus out how much money I'd have to save at my retail job (Apple) to be able to afford a full 3D PS3 setup.

Anyway, now here we are over a decade later and I'm a professional in the 3D field!

I am the Product Manager of a device called the Lume Pad, a Lightfield tablet running Android. It can run standard Android apps in 2D, but has many Lightfield apps and games, and can play back legacy 3D content (SBS, MPO, JPS) as Lightfield content and converts it in real-time.

It's Lightfield due to the way the nanogratings of the Diffractive Lightfield Backlight affect and steer photons, however, from the perspective of 3D enthusiasts a more apt term may be "automultiscopic".

It displays 4 discrete views in each direction (Landscape or Portrait) for a total of 16-views overall, however, for power/view separation/processing reasons it will usually only show 4 views at a time. One exception is the Immersive Wallpaper on the Home Screen, which can run the app icons and text in full-resolution 2D while having the background rendered behind it as a 16-view Lightfield. This makes it look like the icons are floating on the surface of the screen from any angle and the background is sunken in far behind the tablet.

You can learn more about Lume Pad here.

I wouldn't have made it this far in my career without MTBS3D for sure :woot
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Lume Pad Lightfield Tablet

Post by Guig2000 »

Hello, You should post that on User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements and maybe PM Neil about it as modern S3D products are rare nowadays.
nimatoed
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Lume Pad Lightfield Tablet

Post by nimatoed »

Thanks @Guig2000 I will! I guess I assumed Neil would see it, but if he wants to chat about it I'm always excited to talk about my work!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”