New LG firmware screwd my 3D experience

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
Denca
One Eyed Hopeful

New LG firmware screwd my 3D experience

Post by Denca »

Evening gents.

Not long ago I was writing on the forum how awesome was playing games in 3D with my LG LM660S. But sadly after the new firmware upgrade things went down :evil:

I upgraded from 03.03.55 to 04.01.36, yes I missed a few updates because my moto is if it works don't change it. But I read a guide
- http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=5205 ( this guide ) and it said that it is always best to upgrade your firmware :evil:. So I went ahead and upgraded it only to find out that it screwd my 3D.

Now when playing 3D games I get purple ghosting no matter what 3D format I choose, how can this be is this the infamous color bug? I had little or rather almost none of the purple ghosting before the update and now this. How can I fix this? Will going back to my old firmware help?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: New LG firmware screwd my 3D experience

Post by Likay »

If you can revert to an older revision you can try that. Have in mind that it's also possible that some setting could be defaulted to a worse value for 3d when you updated.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Denca
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Denca »

No I can't revert back to an old one. Now I can only update further and hope for an improvement. I mean I had almost zero of purple ghosting before and now I see it everywhere especially where there is a dark picture. And the ghosting is only on the right eye.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Oh man! Thats horrible. Hopefully there is some setting that can fix it. I would try to disable any sort of post-processing that the TV is doing (for example motion smoothing/interpolation or anything like that).
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Is there a factory reset option in the settings. Sometimes a firmware update will change the location of some of the settings that will mess some things up. It's a pain if you have certain custom configurations though, so I suggest going through and writing your values before doing the factory reset.
I hope you get it sorted out though.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I'd call in tech support from your tv maker. Let them know and hound them for a work around. If you not running any hacks on your system they should help and get it working properly.

Whats the cause of purple ghost. Timing and misaligned pixel polarizing switching?

Did you try DDD drivers or Nvidia 3dtv play and see if it happens with those drivers.

Maybe its doing it cause iz3d is obsolete. lol Jk, maybe?

Let us know what happens.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

Hi,
I believe the purple ghosting was related to lg monitors that came bundled with the wrong glasses as the tv and the glasses had different polerization from one another.

The colourbug is'nt purple but it does show rgb issues, of that purple could be a colour but you'll not see all ghosting as purple, only purple if you have a purple colour on screen and it would be purple ghosting next to the purple image and not all over.
Allso the colourbug is only related to interleaved or checkerboard, on my new 2012 55lm760t there is no colourbug in interleaved or checkerboard, lg fixed that but there's allways the posibility they have messed up again and introduced another issue via firmware.

All i can say, forget the pc and use another source , you say every 3d option has the new issue but is this from the pc only?
If so try a bluray player or external media player of some type, if you still have the issue you more than likely have a faulty tv, wether thats down to firmware or a fault, the fact will remain that lg will have to come out and replace something, more than likey if external source has same issue.

If you think you may have the colourbug the best way to find out would be to use the ZALMAN edid from this post as it has no extension bloc so fixes the colourbug on all lg's 3dtv's that have it ;)

Give your tv a full factory reset, this reset will allso wipe your tv channels so you'll have to retune ;)

In first post, ZALMAN edid, no piont in testing with the acer as it has and extension bloc and does'nt fix the colourbug.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=13821
Samsung ps51e6500, Acer h5360bd + 80" fixed screen
Sli Gigabyte gtx670 Windforce x3
Intel 3770k Oc'd + Noctua Nh-D14
Asus Sabertooth Z77
8gb 2133mhz Crucial Smart Tracers Oc'd
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX
Demciflex full Magnetic Filter Set

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
Coolermaster Sirus 5.1 Headset
Denca
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Denca »

Wow thx for reply's.

Where do I find factory reset and all the advanced features are off when I'm in game mode. I will give them some time to fix this but If I won't see a fix I will contact the manufacturer in my country and have them revert my firmware to my previous. I have tried all the fixes without the zalman fix because I have the ghosting even on HD3D so its not the color bug. So we will see what will happen but again I'm so :evil:

EDIT:

I actually sent an PM to the distributor in my country and now I'm curious what kind of a reply I will get.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Maybe turn game mode off?
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I'm not sure about the LG, but most will have the factory reset under the options menu or something like that.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

I have included a pic of where factory reset is with a 55lm760t
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Samsung ps51e6500, Acer h5360bd + 80" fixed screen
Sli Gigabyte gtx670 Windforce x3
Intel 3770k Oc'd + Noctua Nh-D14
Asus Sabertooth Z77
8gb 2133mhz Crucial Smart Tracers Oc'd
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX
Demciflex full Magnetic Filter Set

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
Coolermaster Sirus 5.1 Headset
Denca
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Denca »

butmunch wrote:I have included a pic of where factory reset is with a 55lm760t
Thx bud I actually found it yesterday and I will try it tonight.

EDIT: It was a long shot but still worth trying but sadly it did nothing. The way I see it the new firmware must have changed how the 3D is on the TV so it makes the glasses that came with it kinda defunct as I get ghosting on my right eye meaning the right lens doesn't block the left side of the screen. Am I right on this.

Can you guys recommend any good passive glasses for my TV. It's worth a shot.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi, there might be some workarounds, look here : http://www.avforums.com/forums/16225121-post99.html
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-forum ... sting.html

I seem to have good news for interleaved 3d with a pc input
This is tested as working with a 47lk950u 100% everytime!
The old 42lw450u allso had this bug but it seemed to work when it wanted, i think i was forgetting a major factor as if i do not do it in sequence the bug does'nt work.
It's was reported by me and a few other users that every now and again the sharpness settings from a none " pc label " would be carried over when enabling a " pc label " giving 99% working zero lag interleaved 3d.

I have confirmed the following many times and will get a youtube video up tomoz proving this super bug, as it was possible on a lw450u it may be possible on any lg set.

For a nvidia card you will need a edid mod with zero extension bloc as this will clear the colour ghosting.
As amd reads lg's faulty edid? even worse than nvidia then you will not need a edid mod as you will only have the clear ghosting?

1) First change your isf expert and game sharpness setting in the none PC LABEL to clear the clear ghosting, i choose a label to my right wich is hd dvd (not game label ).

2) start your 3d game so you can see the clear ghosting dissapear ,once this is done change back to PC LABEL!!!!

3)Select GAME mode with AV button on tv controller!!!!!!!!!!

4) Press input on controller and select dvd hd or what ever is the next label from pc label, i choose a none game label, use a label directly next to pc label!

5)Press menu on tv controller and goto display setings or what ever it's acalled for you and select your pre made isf expert setting, NOTICE the clear ghosting dissapear.

6) Press exit on controller

7) Press input and change back to pc label, should be one press of left or right , NOTICE if you are lucky you are now have a lesser lag pc label and clear ghosting is cleared up 99% making games 100% playable

I've turned the tv on and off many times, this method of exact button presses creates a carry over of settings bug or something along those lines.

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Denca
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Denca »

Dom wrote:Hi, there might be some workarounds, look here : http://www.avforums.com/forums/16225121-post99.html
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-forum ... sting.html

I seem to have good news for interleaved 3d with a pc input
This is tested as working with a 47lk950u 100% everytime!
The old 42lw450u allso had this bug but it seemed to work when it wanted, i think i was forgetting a major factor as if i do not do it in sequence the bug does'nt work.
It's was reported by me and a few other users that every now and again the sharpness settings from a none " pc label " would be carried over when enabling a " pc label " giving 99% working zero lag interleaved 3d.

I have confirmed the following many times and will get a youtube video up tomoz proving this super bug, as it was possible on a lw450u it may be possible on any lg set.

For a nvidia card you will need a edid mod with zero extension bloc as this will clear the colour ghosting.
As amd reads lg's faulty edid? even worse than nvidia then you will not need a edid mod as you will only have the clear ghosting?

1) First change your isf expert and game sharpness setting in the none PC LABEL to clear the clear ghosting, i choose a label to my right wich is hd dvd (not game label ).

2) start your 3d game so you can see the clear ghosting dissapear ,once this is done change back to PC LABEL!!!!

3)Select GAME mode with AV button on tv controller!!!!!!!!!!

4) Press input on controller and select dvd hd or what ever is the next label from pc label, i choose a none game label, use a label directly next to pc label!

5)Press menu on tv controller and goto display setings or what ever it's acalled for you and select your pre made isf expert setting, NOTICE the clear ghosting dissapear.

6) Press exit on controller

7) Press input and change back to pc label, should be one press of left or right , NOTICE if you are lucky you are now have a lesser lag pc label and clear ghosting is cleared up 99% making games 100% playable

I've turned the tv on and off many times, this method of exact button presses creates a carry over of settings bug or something along those lines.
Is Interleaved and Line Interlaced the same?

I tried but id doesn't work. I can play in Interlaced If I set my sharpness to 0 but that is really not the way to play it since its even worse that playing in 720p. So I tried this fix to make SBS and HD3D back like it was but to no avail. Like I said I haven't tried the edid mod yet and I'm saving that for the last resort as I still don't know if I have the color bug or something else is happening in the new Firmware and I don't want to ruin anything even more. God I hate my self so much for updating my TV.

I still haven't got any response from LG about this since I mailed them :(

EDIT:

I did a first test for SBS from this forum http://www.avsforum.com/t/1344018/passi ... eckerboard

Results: With my left eye closed I can see all the numbers for the left eye in black or myb dark blue color. With my right eye closed I can see the numbers for the right eye in white in the bottom right of the TV.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I'm not sure what to say, about how discouraging trouble shooting is. Especially when the company makes a decision error I think.

Can you guys phone lg corporate on the telephone? Doesn't sound like they want to relate over email. Also it looks like they maybe wanting to dump some of the 3d formats. More than likely they want frame packing 1.4a used 99% of the time.

All the companies are doing this.

So you are getting proper connection edid from your video card to your tv set? If not try a high speed hdmi cable specifically for 3dtvs. Sometimes it's not from the software but from the hardware. We're you using a proper hdmi cable for 3dtvs?

Spending money on troubleshooting is not really worth it, but it is to find out forsure.

Cyberia on Youtube

Denca
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Denca »

After being tired by LG from my country ignoring me I turned to the Germany support center. They blamed it on my PC even though it worked fine before update, even though the update part took 5 minutes and I played the same game afterwards. So yea thank you LG. I'm thinking of returning this set and buying a new one. Any recommendations ?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I know my last post might sound dumb, but MAYBE they changed their hardware detection methods. I really can only speculate from reading other posts from avs and from you denca. I don't have a 3dtv but I do know that any hacks and unproper hardware or software that is obsolete usually don't work with the latest tech thats out.

They want to avoid people from pirating movies, software and make sure everything on a persons system is correct and paid for.

I'm sure your tv will get fixed as long as you double check everything to make sure your system is up to date and everything.

Sorry for the troubles.

Cyberia on Youtube

Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

If you really want I would recommend a projector with dlp link glasses. The bulb in projectors don't last as long as a tv's picture but by then you could either buy a new bulb or a whole new projector for the same price thats even better.

A projectors bulb would last about 6 hours a day for about 1.5 to 2 years or so.

You could get a projector a new one with 1.4a hdmi and also vga input for pageflipping and some have checkerboard. If you are just looking for a 3dtv maybe someone else here can give you better advise. I heard the samsungs and panasonics tvs are good. If you just want a passive display then I guess people have been happy with toshiba it seems.

BTW i did'nt mean to say that you pirate software, I just think most all companies and people think each other do.

Cyberia on Youtube

Denca
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Denca »

I know what you mean but my software on my PC is legit. I'm really disappointed in this situation and surely LG is not my next TV.
Denca
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Denca »

After months of thinking what the hell happened with my set I finally figured out what probably caused the purple ghosting problem. And sadly I believe it was not the firmware update but rather the checkerboard option ( I got this idea from you skyguy on how you said that I need to find out how to transfer the settings back ).

The thing that happened was that on the night I upgraded my firmware when I was reading that guide I described in the first topic I also felt very adventuristic so I went I tested all the 3D options in games. The last option I tested was checkerboard now the tests were done in Skyrim ( which before had zero ghosting like every other game ) and I was horrified by the amount of purple ghosting the checkerboard option has.

Now today It occurred to me that that may very well be my culprit so went ahead and test it again. The results I found were that the checkerboard has again purple ghosting like before and my further studies found that the sharpness cannot be changed since its locked.

Now that very well explains how changing the sharpness in SBS, HD3D and top-bottom does not remove the purple ghosting which before it did. To refresh it when before changing the sharpness to 30 show some small purple ghosting while 20 was clear of ghosting now the ghosting doesn't change a bit if I increase or decrease it and In checkerboard it locked i to 50.

It looks like that checkerboard has somehow violated my other 3D options but how I have no idea and since I cant change the sharpness of the checkerboard I believe that fixing the problem is impossible.

I had a TV that had almost zero ghosting in games and now has ton's of it :evil:
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I'm sorry, I'd be pretty sad to. I've had the power to my place dropped to find out my video card is toast and stuff like that.

Can't you use framepacking hdmi 1.4a for 3d in 720p? Does that have the ghosting? Could you get some other glasses too to try that. Would they even have changed the polarization angles at all?
Theres got to be a logical reason why its doing that ghosting.

Can you talk to the place where you bought your tv and see what they say about it too.

Cyberia on Youtube

Denca
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Denca »

Yes AMD HD3D is the same.

I'm not angry any more because I am waiting for oculus rift :)

I just hope it gets supported by TriDef
PPorquer3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PPorquer3D »

i have a similar problem with my 3dtv - xbox360 games with 3d all have ghosting when using "framepacking" mode -
you can't adjust the colors, things look too colorful, too dark , & too bright.

some 3d games using Nvidia 3d also had this problem, that is why i always preffered to use over under mode manually.

back in the day there where secret codes that you would input using your tv remote, & they would allow you to modify lots of default values in yout tv sets.

i am thinking that something like that is needed for you, a way to modify the default values of the automatic 3d mode the tv does - color, contrast, sharpness

Return to “3D HDTVs”