Windows Update locking my monitor to 60hz

greg02
Cross Eyed!

Windows Update locking my monitor to 60hz

Post by greg02 »

Sorry to create a new topic I've seen these issues around but not recently and nothing seems to have fixed this for me.

I am hoping someone will have had this happen recently and will know the fix.

Windows is updating my machine and after each time, it is apparently resetting 3D vision and I have to set it up again with the medical eye test etc.

After doing this, 3D vision says its working, and the Nvidia test screen DOES work. It comes on in 3D.

However, no game will come on in 3D (it shifts for a split second and then immediately reverts back to 3d Vision being off. And the monitor will not change from 60hz in Nvidia Control Panel Resolution page. I change to 120hz and it changes for a split second and then immediately reverts back to 60hz.

I go into Windows Display Settings, and it lets me change to 120hz there.. but it still says 60 hz in Nvidia ControL Panel.

So in summary, the 3D Vision Test Screen is the only way the monitor will change to 120 hz for 3D vision to work. Other than that although everything says 3D Vision is working right, the monitor will not change from 60 hz aside from that to let 3D Vision come on.

On another note, usually when I had a problem like t his in the past, I could revert back to before the update and Windows would stop bothering me about it.

This time, each day, it is again applying the update and breaking it again, even though I am putting specifically that it is causing my applications to not work.

Going on 6 days now... each day it is applying the update and I have to use system restore.
floph
Cross Eyed!

Re: Windows Update locking my monitor to 60hz

Post by floph »

May I ask what build version of Windows you have ? The update you are talking about changes the build version ?
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

floph wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:10 am May I ask what build version of Windows you have ? The update you are talking about changes the build version ?
My version is 1809.... it attempted an update a while back and it broke 3D Vision, so I restored it back....but that time it didn't keep trying to update it again, it just let me stay at the last version.
I've gone ahead and disabled the windows update service since this time it continues to try to update it.

I am not sure if the new update is changing the version number. Right now its good..I did another system restore (for the 4th time in as many days) and everything is working as it should.
I disabled windows update service and it still updated it...although that update might have already been scheduled before I disabled the update service.

Ill see tomarrow if it tried to update again.. I am thinking I might have fixed it with disabling the update service again.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

If you are using the latest Windows update, the changed the way needed to adjust the screen refresh.

It's possible that this is causing the issue and will be problematic until if/whenNvidia makes the needed changes in their drivers. Dunno?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chan ... 020-update
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

3DNovice wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:45 am If you are using the latest Windows update, the changed the way needed to adjust the screen refresh.

It's possible that this is causing the issue and will be problematic until if/whenNvidia makes the needed changes in their drivers. Dunno?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chan ... 020-update
I hope that helps. Each day it is again forcing me to update and then I have no choice but to revert back to the last version of windows. But today I actually did go into those settings and it did allow me to change to 120hz there. But back in Nvidia Control Panel it is still showing 60 hz. And when I try to change to 120 there it changes for a split second then changes back. And the same thing happens in a game when I try to activate 3D vision. The light comes on for a split second and then it goes turns off immediately, apparently due to it not being to come out of the 60hz refresh rate.

Today there was a strange difference when it forced the update on me and I thought it was acutally fixed. But it only lasted until I restarted the machine. Everything seemed to be working great the issue seemed to be resolved. But after restarting the machine the problem returned again and I couldn't change from 60hz.

Again I used system restore to return and tomarrow it will most likely force the update and break it again. I've also found no way to simply shut off windows update as, even disabling the services in services.msc (and windows update medic service.. both disabled) and it still is forcing me to update each day.

Thus far each day I have to spend about an hour letting it go through the update yet again and then rolling it back.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Do you buy chance have a frame rate limiter active via a 3rd party solution or perhaps you forgot setting it in Nvidia's Global settings?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:21 am Do you buy chance have a frame rate limiter active via a 3rd party solution or perhaps you forgot setting it in Nvidia's Global settings?
https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/01/0 ... rol-panel/
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

Im not using any 3rd party limiter and no limiter in nvidia control panel. For some reason its only after activating 3D Vision. Immediately after the update, the driver settings are reset. At that point my monitor is running at 120hz. Then I activate 3D VIsion and run the medical test. After this the nvidia 3D Test screen works.... so it definitely runs in 120 hz only when the test is running. After that though the regular monitor mode and any game is locked at 60hz. When I activate 3D vision in a game the pyramid emitter light comes on for a second then immediately reverts back. Same thing when I confirm that I want 120hz in Nvidia control panel.. it changes for an instant then immediately reverts back. In windows advanced display it will allow me to change to 120hz but it is just saying 120 hz.. its actually still in 60hz as it says in Nvidia resolution panel in control panel.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”