NvTimings for VG278QR to reduce ghosting?

Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

NvTimings for VG278QR to reduce ghosting?

Post by Vic »

This is a great monitor for 2D gaming with ELMB on, but 3D didn't work until I used an EDID override (ASUS_VG236HE.inf). However the ghosting is pretty bad and I can't find anyone else with this monitor. I'm basically just adjusting each WXY setting but it's hard to know exactly what does what, so far changing the active time (Y) has the most obvious results. These are the best I've been able to get so far, but I'm trying to get it as good as my other VG278H which has 3D support by default.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kaoner
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: NvTimings for VG278QR to reduce ghosting?

Post by Kaoner »

Hey Vic - just wondering if you managed to solve this issue with the VG278QR. I had read a post over on the NVIDIA forums (that was about 7 months old) and that post mentioned that they also used the VG236HE.inf. They also mentioned something about having to manually add 144/165hz (guessing that meant that they added it to the .inf) and had to manually turn up brightness during 3d (vs with the VG278H that has a built in emitter and a feature called Lightboost).

Anyways, I find myself in the same boat - albeit probably still 6 steps behind where you are as I've only just received my VG278QR today and haven't even attempted to edit the EDID (or even really know HOW - although I think I understand the overall principle). Any insights that you could offer would be much appreciated!
DugomFirst
Cross Eyed!

Post by DugomFirst »

To find the best 3D, you should use my Rabbit Test. See my signature.
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

Kaoner wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:58 pm Hey Vic - just wondering if you managed to solve this issue with the VG278QR. I had read a post over on the NVIDIA forums (that was about 7 months old) and that post mentioned that they also used the VG236HE.inf. They also mentioned something about having to manually add 144/165hz (guessing that meant that they added it to the .inf) and had to manually turn up brightness during 3d (vs with the VG278H that has a built in emitter and a feature called Lightboost).

Anyways, I find myself in the same boat - albeit probably still 6 steps behind where you are as I've only just received my VG278QR today and haven't even attempted to edit the EDID (or even really know HOW - although I think I understand the overall principle). Any insights that you could offer would be much appreciated!
After months of tweaking the best I could do was still inferior to my old VG278H so I gave up, packed it up and went back to my old monitor. The contrast ratio is bad, colours are worse and it's a little less sharper, the ONLY advantage this has over the VG278H is the 144hz and ELMB which is only for 2D games which isn't as important as 3D for me so it made no sense to keep it. It seems like I'm the only person in the world trying to get 3D working on this so I had to give up.

I've attached all the files you need. You need to replace your monitor driver with ASUS_VG236HE.inf, then you can manually add 144/165hz, then with NvTimingsEd.exe you can tweak the Y/X/Y settings to adjust the ghosting etc. Also make sure the trace free and contrast is low on the OSD. I've spent hours tweaking it and my old monitor still looks way better. I'd recommend either the VG278H for 1080p or PG278QR for 1440p (but it doesn't have sharpness OSD settings and 1440p is also a lot more demanding in 3D).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

I came across this, perhaps it might offer insight.

https://cmst.curtin.edu.au/wp-content/u ... ync-IR.pdf

"This is a four token protocol and hence allows the display to specify the duty cycle for the glasses to operate."
Vic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vic »

so what does that have to do with the VG278QR specifically?
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

I assume it's to try and help decode how the 3d glasses timing parameters operate.
As far as I know, no-one has ever documented how the tool works - i.e. what the settings actually mean.
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”