Rockwell Collins Proview HMD, anybody want to dual-buy?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Rockwell Collins Proview HMD, anybody want to dual-buy?

Post by zacherynuk »

Hi all, there are still plenty left to try and haggle.

Check this out: http://www.wastedspace.co.uk/cms/2011/0 ... 93part-11/

If any of you DO buy one for the craic of it.. try and wangle to control box too, that could help with the pin outs I need!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

zacherynuk wrote:Hi all, there are still plenty left to try and haggle.

Check this out: http://www.wastedspace.co.uk/cms/2011/0 ... 93part-11/

If any of you DO buy one for the craic of it.. try and wangle to control box too, that could help with the pin outs I need!
great info... thank you
i tried oriscape i-cine and it's screen was better than vuzix av920...[2D comparison only] altohough lacking in contrast and colors 'd have been improved further..
still orisacpe was better than vuzix...
hope to get virtual visor and i-trek 3D next..
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

For anyone interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vista-StereoSite-HM ... 028wt_1139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These two come with all the parts, and are fully working.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

I have a few thousand lying around which I've been planning to build an FPS/RPG simulator with for close to two years, but I'm not willing to spend $850 on 1998 technology and a resolution of 800x600. There's a good chance of it not working well or at all on modern games.

Will it be possible to buy multiple Cinemizer OLEDs and create a custom housing with four, six, eight or more OLED screens integrated, for a wider FOV? What about buying the OLED screens they're using separately? Where are they coming from? If this necessitated buying in bulk, perhaps the forum could plan a group buy? Years ago, the LumenLab forum did this to buy controller boards for custom projector builds.

How much would it cost to build a custom 3D HMD with a high FOV (would 90-120+ degrees be possible?) and at least 720p resolution? If I could develop a surefire way of producing a very nice HMD I could use everyday, I'd be willing to spend $2500 (maybe even $3000). The Cinemizer OLED should be out this summer, so I guess we'll see if it can be cannibalized then. I hope it is actually 720p and released on time.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Aphradonis wrote:I have a few thousand lying around which I've been planning to build an FPS/RPG simulator with for close to two years, but I'm not willing to spend $850 on 1998 technology and a resolution of 800x600. There's a good chance of it not working well or at all on modern games.

Will it be possible to buy multiple Cinemizer OLEDs and create a custom housing with four, six, eight or more OLED screens integrated, for a wider FOV? What about buying the OLED screens they're using separately? Where are they coming from? If this necessitated buying in bulk, perhaps the forum could plan a group buy? Years ago, the LumenLab forum did this to buy controller boards for custom projector builds.

How much would it cost to build a custom 3D HMD with a high FOV (would 90-120+ degrees be possible?) and at least 720p resolution? If I could develop a surefire way of producing a very nice HMD I could use everyday, I'd be willing to spend $2500 (maybe even $3000). The Cinemizer OLED should be out this summer, so I guess we'll see if it can be cannibalized then. I hope it is actually 720p and released on time.
I own a ProView 30 myself, it would work with modern games. Input is just simplel dual head/dual input, but the resolution is only 640x480, and those dual inputs are S-Video or composite only. :(

It would be possible in theory, that would basically be replicating what Sensics is doing. The OLEDs do not have a confirmed supplier, but considering that Sony was showing off their own HMD with OLEDs that they specifically stated they were fabbing themselves, I think that would be a good bet. A group buy is a nice idea, but the scales are not quite the same. Controller boards can actually be made fairly cheaply, with adaptations of reference designs that let them work with whatever particular LVDS scheme the panel uses. Buying panels in bulk requires purchases of at least a thousand units to get in any kind of real discount, sadly, because the economies of scale for panel fabrication are an order of magnitude greater than for jut a control board.

As for a custom HMD, quite a few members here are plugging away at it, including myself. I have three 720p panels in the mail (I used half the money from selling my V8 to buy parts to experiment with), I plan on making the most of them! :) FOV is going to be bare minimum of 90 degrees, likely higher.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

PalmerTech wrote: A group buy is a nice idea, but the scales are not quite the same. Controller boards can actually be made fairly cheaply, with adaptations of reference designs that let them work with whatever particular LVDS scheme the panel uses. Buying panels in bulk requires purchases of at least a thousand units to get in any kind of real discount, sadly, because the economies of scale for panel fabrication are an order of magnitude greater than for jut a control board.
This was a huge group buy - Hundreds participated, and there were four or five rounds. One person bought them all and then shipped them out to everyone else.
As for a custom HMD, quite a few members here are plugging away at it, including myself. I have three 720p panels in the mail (I used half the money from selling my V8 to buy parts to experiment with), I plan on making the most of them! :) FOV is going to be bare minimum of 90 degrees, likely higher.
That's encouraging. What panels are you using? I've seen one of your HMDs - the one Cyberreality found uncomfortable? Do you use it regularly? How much did it cost?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

It is a good thought, but to be honest, I think it would be a miracle to get more than 10 people who were willing to dump a few hundred on small microdisplays. :cry: Hundreds of people would be a long shot.

I am using the 5.6" 1280x800 Hydis panels. That HMD was definitely not ideal, but it was actually a commission job, someone wanted me to upgrade their MRG 2.2 for them. It could have been much lighter! In fact, I would wager that the display, driver board, cables and optics account for less than 30% of the weight of the unit, the rest going to the shell, padding, and counter balance. Assuming you already have the MRG 2.2 (I have seen them on eBay for less than $200), it only cost about $300 in parts, though I spent a lot more than that on parts to experiment with.

I have two plans for my next HMD. One is another 2D, high FOV headset (Basically, the PR1, but better designed), and the other is 3D, using a single panel with dual optics, like this:

The new IZ3D drivers can support side-by-side uncompressed video, so I can render most games in 640x480 side by side. And if the game can support custom resolutions, I can even render at 640x640, or 640x800 even! Seems like a good compromise to me.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

What would be cool is if the iz3d driver (or some other driver) could render in over/under mode but at double aspect-ratio, not squished or letterboxed. So you could use some prism system and get an insane horizontal FOV. If I ever make my own driver, that will be a feature.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Where are you buying those Hydis panels?
I only found them here, sold out:
http://www.davandisplay.com/store/index ... =1&sort=3a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-6inch-TFT-LCD-128 ... 3971wt_905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VitroLight sells them on eBay. The owner of the store, Jianbo, is a very neat guy.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Thats a pretty good price. I'm tempted to buy one...
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by zacherynuk »

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”