Anyone else really sad that the end of 3D vision is coming?

conan48
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by conan48 »

With the new consoles coming at the end of the year, DX12 or Vulkan will be mandatory for all next gen games and the end of DX11 is pretty much here. I hope that with increasing VR sales, Nvidia might be tempted into going for 3D vision 3.0, and eventually release their own 3D headset that they've been working on. Anyway, I'ts been great and I'm truly greatfull for all the hard work from all the shaderhackers over the years.
Feisty_Fernando
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Anyone else really sad that the end of 3D vision is coming?

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

conan48 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:37 pm With the new consoles coming at the end of the year, DX12 or Vulkan will be mandatory for all next gen games and the end of DX11 is pretty much here. I hope that with increasing VR sales, Nvidia might be tempted into going for 3D vision 3.0, and eventually release their own 3D headset that they've been working on. Anyway, I'ts been great and I'm truly greatfull for all the hard work from all the shaderhackers over the years.
It's not the end when there are a ton of back DX7/8/9/11 games which can be played. They're also working on seeing if 3D can work with the upcoming video cards.

This past round of 3D Vision was nvidia's 2nd swoop.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

No, but most of us get really annoyed when a new or infrequent poster shows up and start doomsaying about the end of 3D. That horse was already beaten dead a good 2-3 years ago, you're just the latest to pick up the beating stick.
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

no, I'm more encouraged by some the amazing recent progress by Helifax. if (and its a big IF, I know) a DX12 solution is ever coded, 3D could thrive for another 10+ years...I am not a fan of VR, and don't want to go back to 2D, so I will be here til the bitter end..
conan48
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by conan48 »

Hi DJRK. I've actually been around for over 10 years and have had every 3D Vision setup imaginable, spending well over 30 000 on 3D vision setups, so I kinda have some experience with 3D vision. I was hooked ever since I grabbed my 23 Samsung 3D vision kit when they first came out, and we've had numerous discussions back in the 3D vision forums. I appreciate all the work you've done for the community.

I know there is a very nice backlog available and I was so into 3D vision that I stopped playing all 2D games for a number of years, but recently I've been forced to get back into 2D gaming as some of my favourite games of the past year or so have been 2D only and I just couldn't pass them up. Games like Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, Read Dead 2, etc are just some of the best games of this generation and still while playing them, I can't help but think how awesome they'd be in 3D!

Honestly, I loved 3D vision so much that it's almost painful to go back to 3D vision and realize what I'm missing now that I only game in 2D. I was addicted and and decided to quite cold turkey, and only game in VR or 2D now.

Cyberpunk 2077 another game that I must play will not be 3D, and I can't imagine not playing it.

I hope people continue to enjoy 3D vision for years to come but it's too painful for me to get that rush playing a perfect 3D vision game, and have to resort to now playing all the best games in 2D.

Unfortunately the 3 core 3D vision bug would make most of the upcoming games unplayable anyway, even if DX12 was somehow made to work.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Yeah, I thought I recognized your handle (IIRC, you also live/lived in Canada too), which is why I said "new or infrequent" with the implication that you fell under one or the other.

Sorry if you felt I just chewed you out a little, but I'm fairly sure most regulars in the community would agree with my sentiment. It's not really productive, especially when there's still quite a few of us pouring our time and our souls into keeping things going as best we can.

For example, a few days ago we literally just had someone else come into Helifax's new wrapper development thread, where Heli's been posting regular updates on the progress and engaging the community. Overall the vibe there has been great, and people have a reason to get excited over something new for the first time in a long time. Then this person just came in and rained on the parade with this same sort of doom and gloom rhetoric completely out of the blue, right after Heli had just posted a significant progress update, and it was just like, "Are you kidding me?" That's the type of thing that could make someone like Heli just say "screw it"... and then days later we have your thread on the same subject, so again, you'll have to excuse if I seemed a bit short of patience.

Here's an analogy I think is fitting. That's kinda like someone going to their big sister and saying, "Aren't you sad grandma is going to die one day?" Meanwhile the sister has been going to visit grandma regularly in the retirement home the whole time, and has even noticed that grandma has started taking interest in new activities & friends lately, and possibly even getting a new lease on life! As such the sister was actually feeling good and optimistic until that person went said that, but maybe now the sister gets so bummed out by the thought of grandma passing that she's not nearly as lively when she goes there (or starts going to visit less), and ultimately ends up missing the opportunity of making a bunch of great new memories that they would have made if their mood didn't get spoiled by the other person.

I dunno, I think it's just better to continue to be grateful for 10+ years of enjoyment that's STILL going, despite being sent off to the Nvidia retirement home, and to continue to enjoy it while it lasts. Save the sadness talk for if/when it's REALLY gone, and we'll all be on board for sure.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

+1 Dj-Rk
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

I sometimes regret 'discovering' and then pursuing the 3 core bug with nvidia with the community's help. Sometimes I think it's my fault nvidia cancelled 3D Vision.

I sometimes think that if I hadn't put that public pressure on nvidia to fix the bug and there hadn't been such a huge following of it from everyone, nVidia would have been just happy to put minimum effort into just supporting new cards every other year under the radar, instead of dropping support altogether.

As stated before, and for what it's worth: The 3 core bug is miss-understood for the most part: it was limited using 3 cores in GTA5 only - not all games.

Testing shows that the bug is dependent on how much the 3DVision driver loads the main game thread. If it's a single thread game, it's not going to have any impact on restricting number of cores, but it will take performance away of course. If the game uses a huge number of threads well, then 3DV will use a lot of threads too, certainly more than 3. It all depends on how well the multi-threading in the game is coded.

I don't think there was any need for you to quit 3DV cold turkey - there are plenty of new (and a huge catalogue of old) games which support 3DV just fine - there are fixes released very frequently for new games all the time.

Helifax's wrapper is making amazing progress, and bo3b has stated that he will start work on a 3D Vision type driver if 30XX series doesn't support 3DV; and there is also VorpX which has recently even come out to support SBS display as a beta feature - the future is far from dark. Certainly some games can't be played in a 3DV-like driver right now, but if I was a betting man, I would heavily wager that we would be able to play most of them one day, sooner rather than later.
Last edited by RAGEdemon on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Patience is a virtue.

A perfect example, is Arkham Knight, it looked like it would never be fixed.

Thankfully, due to the tenacity of our coders and shaderhackers, breakthroughs were made that allowed it to be conquered.

I for one, will hold out hope for the future.

I'll also say it again, I think Nvidia discontinued 3D Vision, so that they can regroup and revive it in the future when the timing is right.

Afterall, it is by far the best gaming technology to ever grace a display.

VR is awesome, but I love gaming on my monitor and projector.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

conan48 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:41 pmI know there is a very nice backlog available and I was so into 3D vision that I stopped playing all 2D games for a number of years, but recently I've been forced to get back into 2D gaming as some of my favourite games of the past year or so have been 2D only and I just couldn't pass them up. Games like Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, Read Dead 2, etc are just some of the best games of this generation and still while playing them, I can't help but think how awesome they'd be in 3D!

Honestly, I loved 3D vision so much that it's almost painful to go back to 3D vision and realize what I'm missing now that I only game in 2D. I was addicted and and decided to quite cold turkey, and only game in VR or 2D now.

Cyberpunk 2077 another game that I must play will not be 3D, and I can't imagine not playing it.
Well, everyone is different, but I cannot comprehend playing those awesome games in the worst possible way. By insisting on playing them at first release, you get the worst possible experience in terms of the game itself. Buggy, bad performance, no 3D. Look at HorizonZeroDawn- doesn't even run properly on PC, crashes all the time. But maybe being part of the in-crowd is important to you, in which case playing later cannot be done because you want to talk to your friends about it. In that case- give up PC gaming, it's always going to suck by comparison to the fully locked down fully QAed console experience.

For me- no way am I playing any of those games in 2D. We are an unduly tenacious bunch, and I'm willing to wait until after they fix all the bugs and we get a 3D solution.

DX12 games are not currently available to us, but at a minimum, we can always create a wrapper like Helifax has made for Vulkan that uses alternate frame rendering. Relatively speaking that is 'easy', as opposed to bringing 3Dmigoto to life on DX12. If Helifax is not able to get around to that, or decides not to, I'll write it.

We can always do fake 3D, which works well enough in a lot of games. This is also 'easy' relative to our hard-core unbelievably perfect fixes.

The future is always fuzzy, but for me personally, I cannot see foregoing the ultimate experience just because it's not there on launch day. These games are not going anywhere.

I'm playing Fallen Order through for the second time in HelixVision, and it's epic. It would just be a pale sad StarWars game without 3D, in my opinion. I missed the launch window, but get to play with DJ-RK's perfect fix. On an IMAX caliber screen. YMMV.
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

bo3bber wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:39 pm For me- no way am I playing any of those games in 2D. We are an unduly tenacious bunch, and I'm willing to wait until after they fix all the bugs and we get a 3D solution.

DX12 games are not currently available to us, but at a minimum, we can always create a wrapper like Helifax has made for Vulkan that uses alternate frame rendering. Relatively speaking that is 'easy', as opposed to bringing 3Dmigoto to life on DX12. If Helifax is not able to get around to that, or decides not to, I'll write it.

We can always do fake 3D, which works well enough in a lot of games. This is also 'easy' relative to our hard-core unbelievably perfect fixes.

The future is always fuzzy, but for me personally, I cannot see foregoing the ultimate experience just because it's not there on launch day. These games are not going anywhere.

I'm playing Fallen Order through for the second time in HelixVision, and it's epic. It would just be a pale sad StarWars game without 3D, in my opinion. I missed the launch window, but get to play with DJ-RK's perfect fix. On an IMAX caliber screen. YMMV.
You have great discipline, no doubt. Cyberpunk will be hard not to play in Superdepth3D on release, Witcher 3 was my favorite game ever and I look forward to seeing what they've cooked up (and want to support CDPR). that said, if a DX12 solution is underway before release date I will definitely hold off for a true 3D experience - even if it takes a year or more, or is in its infant stages I can wait. Your post is encouraging though, I hope if/when DX12 is being actively worked on that word gets out so I can stop playing any and all DX12 games in inferior dimensions and donate to such a good cause! :mrgreen:
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

I remember the same doom and gloom when dx10 was here, and the Cyberpunk of the day, Bioshock Infinite, was unplayable in 3d, then someone called Helix showed around and the miracle happened. And then dx11 showed around, and doom and gloom all over again, but then we got 3dmigoto, and look where we are now.

We have the most talented community I've been with right here, some real geniuses that love 3d gaming, out of nowhere the shader hack god Helifax is creating a Vulkan wrapper, and it actually works for God's sake, there's no single reason not to be hopeful that they could find a way to make dx12 games work at some point, but then all comes to the first law of the 3d vision club, patience.

Yeah Cyberpunk is the single game I've been waiting for the most since Witcher 3,but now I'm skipping it, I've a bucket load of 3d and VR games that are mindblowing, they just aren't the new shiny thing, and so I'll wait, because I trust this community, and I really think that at some point they'll find a way to make dx12 work.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
b4thman

Post by b4thman »

I think the pity is the cpu bottleneck. There are plenty of good games that I did not play, and I bet more are going to come in the future, no matter what. It is hard to me to understand why Nvidia stopped the support of something as good as this tech.
Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 2080 (no TI), 32 Gb RAM, Windows 21H1, Monitor Dell S2716DG, Nvidia 425.31 driver
conan48
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by conan48 »

b4thman wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:36 pm I think the pity is the cpu bottleneck. There are plenty of good games that I did not play, and I bet more are going to come in the future, no matter what. It is hard to me to understand why Nvidia stopped the support of something as good as this tech.
Yeah, this is what killed it for me. I spent all this money on a brand new PC with a 2080ti and many of the newer games won't even run at 1440p and some barely run at 1080p because the CPU is severely bottlenecking the PC. I'd be at like 30% GPU usage and getting sub 40 fps in newer games and I just had enough. Even if DX12 was somehow made to work, most of the current games would not run well anyway because of the CPU bug. Getting used to perfectly smooth Gsync really made it hard to go back to horrible fluctuation in frames in 3D :(

Most if not all future games will be optimized for multi core CPU's and that's pretty much the end of 3D Vision. I was struggling with the CPU bug for over a year before I finally gave up.
conan48
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by conan48 »

bo3bber wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:39 pm
conan48 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:41 pmI know there is a very nice backlog available and I was so into 3D vision that I stopped playing all 2D games for a number of years, but recently I've been forced to get back into 2D gaming as some of my favourite games of the past year or so have been 2D only and I just couldn't pass them up. Games like Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, Read Dead 2, etc are just some of the best games of this generation and still while playing them, I can't help but think how awesome they'd be in 3D!

Well, everyone is different, but I cannot comprehend playing those awesome games in the worst possible way. By insisting on playing them at first release, you get the worst possible experience in terms of the game itself. Buggy, bad performance, no 3D. Look at HorizonZeroDawn- doesn't even run properly on PC, crashes all the time. But maybe being part of the in-crowd is important to you, in which case playing later cannot be done because you want to talk to your friends about it. In that case- give up PC gaming, it's always going to suck by comparison to the fully locked down fully QAed console experience.

For me- no way am I playing any of those games in 2D. We are an unduly tenacious bunch, and I'm willing to wait until after they fix all the bugs and we get a 3D solution.

Unfortunately, because of the CPU bug you'd never be able to play heavily threaded CPU games anyway :( Games like Red Dead 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn would be nearly impossible to run because of the CPU 3D bug.
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

conan48 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:54 pm Unfortunately, because of the CPU bug you'd never be able to play heavily threaded CPU games anyway :( Games like Red Dead 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn would be nearly impossible to run because of the CPU 3D bug.
Sorry mate but that is complete balls!
1. The cpu bug is exagerrated and barely even affects some games.
2. They are talking about a custom built wrapper, this would not have the so called CPU 3D bug.
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

bo3bber wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:39 pm

I can't believe no one is talking about this, if you make a Patreon for this i'm in!
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
ReadingSteiner101
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ReadingSteiner101 »

I hope, at least, that the good ol'3D vision we know is going to develop some kind of cult/retro-cool status, like LAN parties or everything retrogaming-related. Plus, I mean, it's not like it's actually outdated or anything, I discovered it was a thing in gaming mere weeks ago, when I was "binging" Ace Combat 7, TLOU2 and a market prediction about this property in Latvia to write, and it didn't look bad compared to the two former, which are, by all standards, recent games with great graphics.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”