Calculate the perfect convergence and depth values

Mitbekommer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Calculate the perfect convergence and depth values

Post by Mitbekommer »

So I own a HMZ-T1. Recently I played on an Oculus and what I immediately noticed is a proper depth setting. I noticed, if it was real, it would look like that.

Now I wonder, how to recreate this with 3DTV Play?

You have the convergence and general depth setting.

But can you actually calculate the perfect depth and convergence as a function of eye distance, so it is how it should be without being exaggerated or too minimalistic?
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Calculate the perfect convergence and depth values

Post by RAGEdemon »

The separation is easy - measure your IPD, and in a 3D game, make a far away object have the same separation measured by a ruler.

Convergence is more difficult - monitors are tiny and sit far away from your face, so if you have "correct" convergence then it will come as a tiny window into the game world. In most cases, it is unworkable.

No, what you want is for the convergence to be at screen depth for most, if not every scene. This will also give games the toyification effect, also called the dollhouse effect; but the 3D will be the best - it is what most users use, or around thereabouts depending on personal taste.

VR sits on your face and has a comparably massive FOV, so it can afford to be 'real' as per design intention :)
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
floph
Cross Eyed!

Post by floph »

3D Projectors with a 3-4 meters diagonal make for a real scale 3D as well. It's like a portal to another dimension.
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

I always just set depth to 100 percent, and then just set convergence to as extreme as possible without it being personally uncomfortable. as RAGE says it usually amounts to convergence being somewhat screen depth like say your character in a third person game sitting just out of screen for toyification. This is ultimately quite a personal thing I think so calculations arent necessary,

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”