CPU Upgrade for 3Dvision Intel or AMD?

Muojo
Cross Eyed!

CPU Upgrade for 3Dvision Intel or AMD?

Post by Muojo »

Hey guys, I am sitting on an old i7 930 x58 build thats showing its age. yes this is a 2009 computer. I have been able to play anything I want in 4K with the 1080 Ti but with some games like GTA V in 4K 3D, the GPU just doesn't get enough juice from the CPU.

I am looking to move up to newer build. Is the 9900k still a better choice with 3D gaming than an AMD Ryzen build? If not what would you guys recommend?
zaibaker
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: CPU Upgrade for 3Dvision Intel or AMD?

Post by zaibaker »

Hello,

Comet Lake-S is rumored to be annouced today.
I suppose it's a better move to wait for it, the price will go down, better speed, and will be better in cooling due to some change.

Source:
French website: https://www.comptoir-hardware.com/actus ... akes-.html
who have this source: https://www.hd-tecnologia.com/intel-anu ... et-lake-s/

Wait for the reviews ;).
AMD will align the price too.
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

Comet Lake-S, is that supposed to be this year? I thought all Intel stuff coming out this year would be in the mobile market?
zaibaker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zaibaker »

No, Comet Lake-S is for soon (still in 14nm), let's wait for the official annoucement ;).
Curious to see if the avaibility in store is close.

You are right about the other nodes, for 2021 or even 2022 for desktop.
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

zaibaker wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:19 pm No, Comet Lake-S is for soon (still in 14nm), let's wait for the official annoucement ;).
Curious to see if the avaibility in store is close.

You are right about the other nodes, for 2021 or even 2022 for desktop.
Would the 9900k and its mobos get cheaper once it launches? I was hoping against hope I coudl find a nice deal somewhere. I can't find a 9900k in the internal Intel store
zaibaker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zaibaker »

Intel rarely drop prices of the old gen.

Why focus on the 9900k when there is a 10700 or even a 10900 that will be cheaper and better?

Reviews seems to happen in one week or two, be patient and prepare money :P.
Make a good choice of motherboard too for supporting the extra power needed.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Intel 10nm Desktop around the corner too with 18% IPC improvement over the 14nm chips of today. That's a huge jump, the likes of which we won't see for a while. I would wait for that had I the patience...

Coming from a similar chip to a 5.1GHz 7700k, I can say you'll get a ~35% improvement in FPS by going from 930 to 9900K.

Next Zen is also going to apparently have a leap in performance... time will tell. There is a great time to buy every few generations. That time is just around the corner imho.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
zaibaker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zaibaker »

Yes, between Zen 3 and Rocket Lake (14nm still but based on Sunny Cove architecture), for people who is patient.

The autor of this subject maybe not?

For this month, the best idea is to compare Comet-Lake vs Ryzen if he need extra cores.
My guess is that Intel is still the best for gaming, until Zen 3 who seems to get the extra leap as told RAGE, and finally become the best choice for ALL cases until Intel upgrade.

Nice war we have.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

I came across this, which you chaps might find interesting - comparing i7-930 non-OC to 9900k OC, as well as other generations over the last 10 years.

Important note: these are 2D benchmarks; 3D benchmarks will be very different and rely on single core performance due to the 3DVision CPU bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPWEdbf ... e=youtu.be
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

zaibaker wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:34 am Intel rarely drop prices of the old gen.

Why focus on the 9900k when there is a 10700 or even a 10900 that will be cheaper and better?

Reviews seems to happen in one week or two, be patient and prepare money :P.
Make a good choice of motherboard too for supporting the extra power needed.
I actually assumed that the new processors would be more expensive than the 9900k. I was thinking 9900k would be cheap so I can get it. But if the 10900 is gonna be better and cheaper, why the hell not
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

RAGEdemon wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:06 pm Intel 10nm Desktop around the corner too with 18% IPC improvement over the 14nm chips of today. That's a huge jump, the likes of which we won't see for a while. I would wait for that had I the patience...

Coming from a similar chip to a 5.1GHz 7700k, I can say you'll get a ~35% improvement in FPS by going from 930 to 9900K.

Next Zen is also going to apparently have a leap in performance... time will tell. There is a great time to buy every few generations. That time is just around the corner imho.
I have no idea when those CPUs will release. I'd assume 2021? I don't think I can wait that long to upgrade. Again I am on a 930, its showing its age for 3D vision bug single core bug. I need an upgrade and it sound slike these rocket lake and Zen 4 wont come out till next year.
zaibaker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zaibaker »

If i were you i will wait for the Nvidia conference to see if there will be new consumer graphic cards (i doubt about this, it seems to be oriented for HPC, not gamer) and then make my choice after this event.

Like this you will have all the cards in your hand because spending so much for a 2080Ti is hard in my opinion, 3080 will outperform it for sure and will be cheaper than the insane 2080Ti.

Zen 3 won't come before September or more i suppose, but it may be a game breaker if you don't want to wait next gen Intel architecture.
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

zaibaker wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:47 pm If i were you i will wait for the Nvidia conference to see if there will be new consumer graphic cards (i doubt about this, it seems to be oriented for HPC, not gamer) and then make my choice after this event.

Like this you will have all the cards in your hand because spending so much for a 2080Ti is hard in my opinion, 3080 will outperform it for sure and will be cheaper than the insane 2080Ti.

Zen 3 won't come before September or more i suppose, but it may be a game breaker if you don't want to wait next gen Intel architecture.
You know I'd be down for a 3080 but who knows if we can run 3D vision on it?

As for Zen 3, is it supposed to crush the IPC thing? Again my main concern is getting a processor that can give me good grames on games like GTA V which rely on single core performance for 3D vision
zaibaker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zaibaker »

Our 3D shaderhackers and nice community are magician so i don't see why they will not let latest drivers run 3D Vision as we do actually even if official drivers don't integrate it.

Zen 3 will be better and thanks to the improvements, maybe AMD will surpass Intel in gaming side and monocore performance... letting nothing for Intel.

But we will have to wait summer to know how it performs.
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Pretty sure the best in class will remain the fastest core clock speed in dual core/quad core performance for 3dvision, due to the known issues in many games with multiple cores and the Nvidia driver
Which will likely be Intel.
Pure Speculation at this point though of course, and I am still nervous about windows 10 and new processors /updates in general with 3dvision....
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

zaibaker wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:30 pm Our 3D shaderhackers and nice community are magician so i don't see why they will not let latest drivers run 3D Vision as we do actually even if official drivers don't integrate it.

Zen 3 will be better and thanks to the improvements, maybe AMD will surpass Intel in gaming side and monocore performance... letting nothing for Intel.

But we will have to wait summer to know how it performs.

See while I do have faith, back when 2080 Ti was released, I could've sworn I saw many people having issues being able to run 3D vision on 2080 Ti because its native drivers weren't made with 3D Vision in mind
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

Necropants wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:14 pm Pretty sure the best in class will remain the fastest core clock speed in dual core/quad core performance for 3dvision, due to the known issues in many games with multiple cores and the Nvidia driver
Which will likely be Intel.
Pure Speculation at this point though of course, and I am still nervous about windows 10 and new processors /updates in general with 3dvision....
Yeah that's my main thign. I woudl like to buy AMD but 3D vision is weird and I don't wanna build a rig that wont' be able to handle it properly. I haven't seen anyone have issues with the 9900k so I figure upgrading to one or the 10900 would be good enough
Enzel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Enzel »

I haven´t seen to much complaints about ryzen 3000 and 3d vision..., you just will have the 3 core bug just like in intel
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

Enzel wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:25 am I haven´t seen to much complaints about ryzen 3000 and 3d vision..., you just will have the 3 core bug just like in intel
Wait 3D vision only uses 3 cores?
Enzel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Enzel »

Its a software bug in the 3dvision driver
Enzel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Enzel »

Its a software bug in the 3dvision driver
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

Muojo wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:21 pm
Enzel wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:25 am I haven´t seen to much complaints about ryzen 3000 and 3d vision..., you just will have the 3 core bug just like in intel
Wait 3D vision only uses 3 cores?
But which one has a stronger IPC?single core performance
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Those aren't the same thing.

Simply:

Single Core Performance = IPC x CPU frequency.

AMD = Much better IPC.
Intel = Much better frequency.

Right now, Intel has better single core performance.
End of this year = AMD catching up to Intel performance.
Next few years = Intel increasing ~18% IPC

As much as I want AMD to succeed and be competitive against Intel, right now and in the short term future, it looks like Intel will have a lead in Single Core performance (3D Vision performance).

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”