FRAPS 3.2.0 Released, Notes For DDD & iZ3D

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

We are pleased to report that FRAPS, the popular screen capture and benchmarking utility, has been upgraded to version 3.2.0.  For those wondering how MTBS makes stereoscopic 3D videos for our game review process, this is part of the secret.

In addition to a new "loop recording" feature, FRAPS now has the option to turn S-3D video captures off while recording with NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision drivers.
Read full article...
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Re: FRAPS 3.2.0 Released, Notes For DDD & iZ3D

Post by BlackShark »

Just a little correction on iZ3D drivers : iZ3D does have a squished mode too.

Use side by side output with default mode (side by side squished) or over/under (top/bottom squished).
The crosseyed mode adds black bars to keep the aspect ratio correct if you want to play cross eyed.
You can also record using the interlaced mode, just like with the DDD driver
Licaon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Licaon »

Looks like Fraps 3.0.0-3.2.0 demos don’t really support resolutions bigger than 1680×1050 for Full-screen 3D Stereo video capture, as movies captured in-game at 1920×1080 or 1920×1200 end up at 1920×540 or 1920×600 (side by side half-size videos actually), proof: http://bayimg.com/lAKaoAaCI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; captured from the recorded movie, game running at 1920×1200.
But the good news is that the Fraps devs found the bug and it will be fixed in version 3.2.2 ;)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well first off, iz3D does have a side-by-side squished mode. However I have not gotten this to record using FRAPS. In fact FRAPS does not run at all when iz3d is enabled (as in no frame counter or anything). Is compatibility new to this most recent version?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys,

Just a heads up that I corrected and clarified the story a bit. Thanks for keeping a sharp lookout.

Regards,
Neil
Zerofool
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zerofool »

cybereality wrote:Well first off, iz3D does have a side-by-side squished mode. However I have not gotten this to record using FRAPS. In fact FRAPS does not run at all when iz3d is enabled (as in no frame counter or anything). Is compatibility new to this most recent version?
It really depends on you video card and OS. Most users with nvidia cards report to have no problems with all versions of windows with FRAPS 3.x.x, but ATI users (like myself) can't manage to make it work under 64-bit Vista & 7. Under 64-bit XP yuriythebest (if I'm not mistaken) had no problems with his Radeon card. Regular 32-bit XP works as well for all ATI users (since Iz3D 1.10 betas, even with pre-3.x versions of FRAPS, that's the method I use).

And by the way, there's already version 3.2.1 available ;).

Code: Select all

3.2.1 - 29th Mar 2010
- Fixed screen capture of large resolutions (ATI Eyefinity)
- Fixed counter disappearing in some games when switching resolution
- Improved recording speed on SLI configurations
- Other minor bug/crash fixes
Update: The day before yesterday I successfully recorded footage in Vista x64, using FRAPS 3.2.1 (starting it first), IZ3D driver 1.11 beta (in side by side output, starting it second - switching from disabled to "Enable Stereo by Hot-Key"), and Catalyst 10.3a Preview. In some games the FPS meter of FRAPS is visible until the 3D is engaged by the hotkey, in some cases it remains there also in S3D. But some games doesn't even start that way (like HL2, Resident Evil 5, Borderlands, GTAIV, Trials 2), but they do if the output is anaglyph for example. The speed of capture is lower than in XP, but it's a great step forward!
Last edited by Zerofool on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Licaon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Licaon »

3.2.2 - 31st Mar 2010
- Fixed trouble opening movies with VLC, Avidemux, AVI synth, Virtualdub and some other applications
- Fixed problem capturing stereoscopic movies at 1920x1080 and 1920x1200
- Fixed loop recordings sometimes becoming corrupted
:D
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

hi, I have FRAPS 3.2.2 but I do NOT see any 3D record Function?? I use the Old EDimensional Solution with a DLP Projector. I use the 162.50 Drivers from nVidia??

I also have the demo version of FRAPS do I need the Full version to get the 3D Recording or does this only work with a newer 3D Solution?? :shutter
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I don't believe there is a special 3D function. If you are running 3D drivers it will automatically record in 3D. However it doesn't work for me either with the newer Zalman Nvidia drivers or IZ3D. It did work with the DDD drivers but my trial ran up.
Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

We are pleased to report that FRAPS, the popular screen capture and benchmarking utility, has been upgraded to version 3.2.0.  For those wondering how MTBS makes stereoscopic 3D videos for our game review process, this is part of the secret.

FRAPS Logo

In addition to a new “loop recording” feature, FRAPS now has the option to turn S-3D video captures off while recording with NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision drivers.

Return to “MTBS News”