S-3D Gaming Anomaly Guide Released!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

While most stereoscopic 3D drivers do a pretty good job, many games are fraught with visual problems and anomalies that slip through the cracks.

As a reference tool for a  new service we will be launching soon, we wrote a special guide so gamers can easily spot and define anomalies and problems in their favourite video games.  While it's pretty definitive, members are encouraged to submit additional problems and challenges that aren't yet listed so the guide can be improved.

Read full article...
phil
Cross Eyed!

Re: S-3D Gaming Anomaly Guide Released!

Post by phil »

Great stuff!

Must've been tricky creating some of those images.

I think it's important for game developers to realise that the easy way to avoid all these anomalies is to render the stereo themselves.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Tell me about it! :lol:

We are hard at work on something to go with this. There are plenty of hints all over the site, but a formal announcement will go out soon enough. I'm hoping the members will help make this all work. Vadim, Yuriy, Cris (Sir C), and myself have invested a lot of time and effort to make this all possible, and we hope it was worth it.

Please feel free to share additional anomalies that we haven't included or you think need additional mention.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Very nice list. I think you have covered all the basics. Even without the list these things are easy to pick up if the QA testers have access to 3D glasses. Its just a matter of getting the equipment in the hands of developers. Say what you want about Nvidia, but they have been pro-active about getting devs to recognize 3D like the partnership they had with Capcom on RE5. More of that would help a bunch.

EDIT: Upon further review, I can't believe you guys missed the single biggest issue facing S3D gaming: Incorrect crosshair/reticle in FPS games!!!!!!!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

We did and we didn't. You will understand later. ;)

Regards,
Neil
andysonofbob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by andysonofbob »

Agreed. What are the plans with this then? It it an aid for developers etc to be able to refer to a standard terminology? Will 2D crosshairs will be in the same catagory as 2D unit tags - things they should be aware of type thing?

Andy

p.s. I posted a link to this article on the nVidia site. I cant get into the site now, I keep getting HTTP Error 401.1. I am worried they have barred me; I mentioned iZ3D and (soon) AMD are S3D solutions other than nVidia. I'm not sure because I refuse to flame, nor will I call nVidia names. They do warn you about things like that - right? Would one of you have a look to see if a Mod has commented?

Ta
Neil

Post by Neil »

Nobody can get in! I wouldn't worry.

Big announcement in matter of days. We might even be able to do an early public beta test.

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Great work! Can recognize Yuriy's models and texture fingerprints by now!
I like this idea. This seems to be a better way of explaining/grade s-3d experience of games. With the infernal machine i often got very low points on else very good games. Anomalies affects people in a different way as well. One thing that annoys someone very much might be "ok" for somebody else.
Looking forward to see how you've set it up.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok! The method to my madness has been revealed!

http://www.mtbs3d.com/m3ga" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some updates are being done as we speak. Every submission helps, so hop to it! 8-)

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

While most stereoscopic 3D drivers do a pretty good job, many games are fraught with visual problems and anomalies that slip through the cracks.

Good example

As a reference tool for a  new service we will be launching soon, we wrote a special guide so gamers can easily spot and define anomalies and problems in their favourite video games.  While it's pretty definitive, members are encouraged to submit additional problems and challenges that aren't yet listed so the guide can be improved.

Return to “MTBS News”