Kathleen Maher Guest Writes For MTBS!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

It's always great to be joined by guest writers on mtbs3D.com, and today is no different.

Kathleen Maher (LEFT), Editor-in-Chief for Tech Watch
Neil Schneider (RIGHT), Executive Director, The S-3D Gaming Alliance

We are always looking for fresh perspectives on stereoscopic 3D gaming and its related developments.  In addition to speaking at and attending the 3D Gaming Summit, Kathleen also had the opportunity to check out NAB as well.  She shares some insights which readers may and may not agree with.  See what you think!
Read full article...
mpage
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Kathleen Maher Guest Writes For MTBS!

Post by mpage »

"By the way, have you noticed yet, that at a really well done 3D movie like Coraline, Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, there are fewer talking idiots?"
Not sure what everyone else thought, but I thought Alice in Wonderland was a horribly done 3D film. It wasn't shot in 3D; they converted it after the fact. Seems kinda strange to have a guest writer on here that says a conversion is a really well done 3D film. It's hard, for me anyway, to give her any credibility.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Actually, Alice in Wonderland looked quite good for a feature that was not shot in native 3D.
mpage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mpage »

Not for me. It actually hurt my eyes for about 5 min. Also, she is comparing it to native 3-D films. Maybe it's just me, but there was no comparison between avatar and Alice. You can't compare it to other conversions, because she is putting at the top with native 3D films.
Hardware:
3-D Display: Samsung 72A650
Video Card: HD5850
Processor: Intel Core Duo E8600 3.33GHz

Software:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
TriDef 3-D Experience
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I thought Alice looked decent but not nearly as good as a native 3D movie like Avatar. To its credit it was certainly better than Clash of the Titans by far.
mpage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mpage »

cybereality wrote:To its credit it was certainly better than Clash of the Titans by far.
Agree 100%

Also, most people do not know that some movies are converted. They see the '3D' in the title and take it for gospel. Say you just got into 3D, and you saw Avatar (or even Final Destination 3D) and then Alice. Would you think that Alice is a well done 3D movie? I definitely wouldn't. I would rather watch an anaglyph conversion at my house that was shot in native 3D (as long as it was a good conversion, obviously), than watch Alice.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I went to see Clash of the Titans with a friend. To me the movie was unwatchable (bad movie, bad 3d...) but my friend thought it was ok... :shock: He's not using any 3d-solutions at home (watched mine though) and have seen Avatar in 3d as well. Avatar is way better according to him but the anomalies i see in Clash doesn't seem to disturb him as much. Maybe we're sensitive, but i'd really like to have a decent 3d-effect when looking at movies. If not i rather have them in 2d. Have yet to see Alice.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
mpage
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mpage »

I may just be way too picky about 3D. Apparently, my eyes might just be more sensitive to movies that have been converted. I will say that Alice was the first converted 3D movie I had ever seen at the time. I usually try to stay away from them. I decided to give it another try and saw Clash (bad mistake). I think I was smart staying away from the conversions, and I plan to not see another converted movie for awhile. If y'all agree they were well done, it must have something to do with my eyes (I do wear glasses and have a pretty bad astigmatism).
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Disney's G-Force had all the live action converted and it looked pretty damn good. Check it out if it ever comes on 3D Blu-Ray.
Neil

Post by Neil »

It's always great to be joined by guest writers on mtbs3D.com, and today is no different. Kathleen Maher (LEFT), Editor-in-Chief for Tech WatchNeil Schneider (RIGHT), Executive Director, The S-3D Gaming Alliance We are always looking for fresh perspectives on stereoscopic 3D gaming and its related developments.  In addition to speaking at and attending the 3D Gaming Summit, Kathleen also had the opportunity to check out NAB as well.  She shares some insights which readers may and may not agree with.  See what you think!

Return to “MTBS News”