CES 2011, M3GA Updates

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

CES 2011, M3GA Updates

Post by PressBot »

We just want to give everyone a heads up that MTBS is getting set for its trip to the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show (CES).  While last year’s event was a major push for 3D, we are even more excited about this year’s edition.  MTBS is solidly booked for interviews and meetings, and we expect to have lots of exciting stories to share with our readers.  With the exception of a chosen few 3D exhibitors, the majority of interviews and features will cover new products and brands.  There are some hidden 3D gems out there, and MTBS will be on the scene!
Read full article...
Zerofool
Cross Eyed!

Re: CES 2011, M3GA Updates

Post by Zerofool »

Great, while you are at CES, it would be interesting to ask 3D display (3DTV) manufacturers if and when they plan to support the optional (non-mandatory) HDMI 1080p60 3D mode and/or the same (or even higher resolution/refreshrate) 3D mode(s) through DisplayPort 1.2, I really hope DP finds it's way to 3DTVs soon. Oh, and what's up with these Bit Cauldron glasses :lol:.
I really hope 2011 3DTVs will support that 1080p60 mode, otherwise it's another year of waiting for me...

Have a great show!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I am also very much interested in 1080P60 support on HDMI 1.4a. I am not sure I will bother buying a TV unless it has this support. I would also like to see if PC monitor manufacturers can start supporting a standard for shutter glass sync support. We already had the VESA 3-pin standard, I don't know why the industry has abandoned it. BitCaulden had a decent solution, but it seems like they fell off the face of the earth. It would be nice if these companies can come up with something that would work with both Nvidia 3D Vision and AMD HD3D. Maybe if PC monitors would implement HDMI 1.4a, then we would have standard interoperability. But again, we need to move away from proprietary glasses that only work for one brand under certain conditions. And I wouldn't want PC gamers to loose the 1080P@120Hz mode they now enjoy, so some provision would have to be made to allow this support (or even greater, in the case of Nvidia 3D Vision Surround or AMD Eyefinity HD3D). Also, in terms of 3D HDTVs I'd like to know if any effort is being made to standardize the IR protocol for wireless shutter glasses. This is a big deal and I don't think 3D is going to go mainstream with mass confusion like this.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, I am also very much interested in 1080P60 support on HDMI 1.4a. I am not sure I will bother buying a TV unless it has this support. I would also like to see if PC monitor manufacturers can start supporting a standard for shutter glass sync support. We already had the VESA 3-pin standard, I don't know why the industry has abandoned it. BitCaulden had a decent solution, but it seems like they fell off the face of the earth. It would be nice if these companies can come up with something that would work with both Nvidia 3D Vision and AMD HD3D. Maybe if PC monitors would implement HDMI 1.4a, then we would have standard interoperability. But again, we need to move away from proprietary glasses that only work for one brand under certain conditions. And I wouldn't want PC gamers to loose the 1080P@120Hz mode they now enjoy, so some provision would have to be made to allow this support (or even greater, in the case of Nvidia 3D Vision Surround or AMD Eyefinity HD3D). Also, in terms of 3D HDTVs I'd like to know if any effort is being made to standardize the IR protocol for wireless shutter glasses. This is a big deal and I don't think 3D is going to go mainstream with mass confusion like this.
IMO, having glasses controlled by the computer and trying to sync them up with a monitor is flawed. I think there is much less confusion having monitors which control the glasses.
Now that we have a properly defined interface for devices to communicate the 3D image (HDMI 1.4), it makes sense to have th monitor interpret this and display it in it's own way. That way, you don't have to worry if the glasses will be compatible with the display... Buy a samsung 3D TV and samsung 3D glasses and they will work so long as you send it correct HDMI 1.4 3D image. The TV should know which eye is being shown to the user to keep the sync correct.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

android78 wrote: IMO, having glasses controlled by the computer and trying to sync them up with a monitor is flawed. I think there is much less confusion having monitors which control the glasses.
Yes, I completely agree. What I was suggesting is that there should be a standard way that the glasses sync with the display (either a set IR standard protocol, or an interface ala 3-pin VESA that could be used with 3rd party emitters, or both). Its really annoying to have to buy Sony glasses just cause you have a Sony TV. Maybe the Panasonic glasses are better? Whats next? Sony Blu-Ray players only work on Sony TVs? Give me a break!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:What I was suggesting is that there should be a standard way that the glasses sync with the display (either a set IR standard protocol, or an interface ala 3-pin VESA that could be used with 3rd party emitters, or both)
That would be nice, but the tv manufacturers still have their own protocol for the it remotes... I have been wishing for a long time they would standardize them but they won't. I think we will start to see a lot of third party glasses that will do them all come out before long though.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

yeah Nvidia I believe screwed up. They should have been the lead in bringing this 3d tech to the masses. Obviously, they wanted to much money for there technology. and thats why there tech is on the sidelines moving forward. There are bigger boys out there (sony) and they have kicked them to the curb. Nvidias tech should have been wrapped into hdmi 1.4a. But it looks to me its puposely been avoided in the spec. I'm thinking page flipped here. I've jumped onto the hdmi 1.4a train. I love it. its a nice ride. One could wait- I guess for the next best 3D tech in hdmi 1.5 or hdmi 2.0 . I'll give you kids a hint- the tech you buy today. Will be avialable next year at half the cost. This will be true of 3D display tech. 1080P60 3D will come at a high premium. The next year 1080P120 will be available. I'm of the opinion that my display is awsome (panasonic vt25) and its quality applications that need the improvements.

cheers everyone
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Neil

CES 2011, M3GA Updates

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

CES 2011

We just want to give everyone a heads up that MTBS is getting set for its trip to the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show (CES).  While last year’s event was a major push for 3D, we are even more excited about this year’s edition.  MTBS is solidly booked for interviews and meetings, and we expect to have lots of exciting stories to share with our readers.  With the exception of a chosen few 3D exhibitors, the majority of interviews and features will cover new products and brands.  There are some hidden 3D gems out there, and MTBS will be on the scene!

Return to “MTBS News”