Are most modern tlat-panel TVs 3D with shutter glasses?

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Are most modern tlat-panel TVs 3D with shutter glasses?

Post by cadcoke5 »

My main computer monitor bit the dust yesterday. So, I am strongly considering upgrading to a 40" 4k television as my monitor.

When I was searching for monitors online, very few 3D capable monitors show up in my searches. At Walmart a few did, and none at Best Buy. I initially suspected that the 3D popularity has faded, and the stores were simply not bothering to note if a monitor or TV were capable of 3D stereoscopic display. But, at Best Buy, the guy said that basically all TVs and monitors are now capable of displaying 3D content, with the shutter glasses. And perhaps that is why this sub-forum is pretty much dead. There is perhaps no need to discuss it, if it is universally available for new TVs and Monitors.

Is this correct?

I don't expect to do much viewing in stereoscopic 3D, but would like to know if it is viable to do with what ever I buy.

-Joe
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Are most modern tlat-panel TVs 3D with shutter glasses?

Post by Dom »

I was looking at 3dtv's and they are all discontinued and are not standard on tv's because you still need the glasses and they are not included with the 4k tv's. Even if they are sold separately they still need to transmit from the tv so the tv manual would need to say that 3dtv is an option.

Neil here at MTBS3D did say a few years ago that 3d would be a standard feature but idk what happened, maybe the tv companies will work on glasses free next.

I looked on the web for an hour and could not find any 3dtv from Lg, sony or toshiba that had 3d available.

I have a 24 inch Nvidia 3d vision monitor and 32 inch HDTV for my workstation, I still use 3d and like it so I don't know what my next option is going to be, hopefull glasses free hologram viewing multiple angles. ( just dreaming though )
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cadcoke5
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cadcoke5 »

Does the TV "know" that it is getting images that are stereoscopic. I had imagined (perhaps incorrectly) that the TV didn't need to know. That it simply shows each frame in sequence, regardless of if they are monoscopic, or if they change to show each perspective in sequence.

I realize my video card may not be able to do stereoscopic at 4k or even 2k. But, I had expected to just change resolutions whenever I wanted to do stereoscopic with shutter glasses. I've seen stereoscopic with shutter glasses on an Atari ST, and a CRT display. And the CRT certainly didn't need to "know" the signal was stereoscopic.

Today I purchased an Acer EB321HQU, which is 2k, and it is working OK. But my Quadro FX 580 is somehow changed during the install of the monitor, so that my CAD program (BricsCAD) says that "hardware rendering is not available on this computer- resorting to software rendering" This essentially makes working on a 3D model an exercise in frustration. The real-time rendering is gone. I will have to play with it more, and hopefully will figure out how to get it to do hardware rendering again.

-Joe
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

cadcoke5 wrote:Does the TV "know" that it is getting images that are stereoscopic. I had imagined (perhaps incorrectly) that the TV didn't need to know. That it simply shows each frame in sequence, regardless of if they are monoscopic, or if they change to show each perspective in sequence.

I realize my video card may not be able to do stereoscopic at 4k or even 2k. But, I had expected to just change resolutions whenever I wanted to do stereoscopic with shutter glasses. I've seen stereoscopic with shutter glasses on an Atari ST, and a CRT display. And the CRT certainly didn't need to "know" the signal was stereoscopic.

Today I purchased an Acer EB321HQU, which is 2k, and it is working OK. But my Quadro FX 580 is somehow changed during the install of the monitor, so that my CAD program (BricsCAD) says that "hardware rendering is not available on this computer- resorting to software rendering" This essentially makes working on a 3D model an exercise in frustration. The real-time rendering is gone. I will have to play with it more, and hopefully will figure out how to get it to do hardware rendering again.

-Joe
The 3D Tv's needed HDMI 1.4a framepacking format and most had a feature Side by Side and Over/Under or CheckerBoard stereo3d feature that let the tv convert those formats to Interlaced for passive 3dtv's and to either Framepacking 1.4a or frame sequential to 3D Shutter Glasses with Ir sync or bluetooth sync from the 3D Tv.

With CRT's back ago they used Frame Sequential 3D, its like 2 view ports of the game or video then separates them into two frames for the 3D Shutter glasses at a sync of 60hz or more up to 120hz

3D Tv's with framepacking HDMI 1.4a ( This is the newest 3d mode ) had 60hz for each eye, so 120hz total but the tv would always either be at 60hz or 24hz for movies at 1080p resolution. 3D monitors like Nvidia 3D Vision have monitors that are 120hz or more but 3D vision never used more than 120hz as the Native display output.

Right now there is no 4K monitor or tv that does 120hz 3D. Only a 4K display like a 4K 3D Projector can do HDMI 2.0b 1080p 120hz since there is really no DP (display port) on projectors and 3D Tv's, only on monitors. If you get a 3D monitor that does 120hz or more you will have to get glasses like the Nvidia 3D Vision 2 emitter and glasses ( cost $160 ) you will most likely have to to EDID override since Nvidia whitelists the 3D Ready monitors so its very unorganized ATM with Stereo 3D.

If you do what I do and run dual display like a 32 inch monitor (2K) and get a 24'' or 27'' 3D monitor for Nvidia 3D vision and the 3D vision kit, then this might be the best way to get 3D now a days.

3d vision kit at newegg.com: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

3d vision monitor at Newegg.com: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product This monitor takes DVI dual link

Acer Freesync 3d monitor display port EDID overright with Nvidia 3D Vision maybe(iffy 3D) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6824011245

I'm not trying to upsell you on anything just showing you what a good deal would be.

Dom
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

No. I don't believe any of the major TV brands are supporting 3D on the latest models.

Sometimes you can find TVs a few years back that support it, but probably not the newer 4K models.

You may be better off getting a 3D Vision monitor, there are still some older ones available that are okay.

Return to “3D HDTVs”