Looking for VR Omnidirectional Treadmill final plans

Discussion of tools and products that add VR physicality. Samples include VR treadmills, special hand controllers, gesture technology and more.
ghostpepper
One Eyed Hopeful

Looking for VR Omnidirectional Treadmill final plans

Post by ghostpepper »

Hello everyone, I'm looking to build a VR ODT similar to the Virtuix Omni.

I've talked to people at the Virtuix forums who are using the latest version of the omni, with a height adjustment mechanism and vive trackers for maximum immersion, and from what I can tell, it's a decent product. Obviously the walking is not quite as accurate as actually walking around or using an Infinideck, but it will be immersive enough.

I've read through the related threads on this site about DIY treadmills, and I haven't been able to find any particularly final solutions, just people talking back and forth. I'd think that somebody out there would have figured out and posted online the best DIY solution, so let me know if you know of any great final DIY products.

The two main parts of the treadmill are the walking surface and the holding-your-waist support area. From what i've seen in DIY solutions online, people have used carpeting with carpet skates or furniture sliders for the walking surface, but I've heard that that's not the best solution.

Smooth plywood is a possible option, but i'll have to go to a hardware store and demo out some plywood to see if it's really up to the job. For the waist support system, i'm considering using bungee cords in a # formation, as seen online.
*****The important thing here is, somebody has probably already produced a truly finalized DIY solution, so we just need to find it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Physical VR Tools”