Battlefield 4 Support? + Constructive Criticism

This forum is for the brand new Vireio Perception virtual reality drivers. History in the making!
VRn00b
One Eyed Hopeful

Battlefield 4 Support? + Constructive Criticism

Post by VRn00b »

Hi,

I have spent the last few hours trying to work out how to get Vireio Perception to work with BF4.

I've read ur manual, and watched youtube videos (none BF4 specific tho, as i cant find any)

I modified the cfg_v4 profiles.xml with the following

Code: Select all

<profile game_name="Battle Feild 4" game_exe="bf4.exe" cpu_architecture="64bit" dx_version="11" />
  <profile game_name="Battle Feild 4 Launcher" game_exe="BFLauncher.exe" cpu_architecture="64bit" dx_version="11" />
  <profile game_name="Battle Feild 4x86" game_exe="bf4_x86.exe" cpu_architecture="32bit" dx_version="11" />
EDIT:
I never saw the VireioPerception.ini generate...
Ive managed to get this file to generate.
I also tried copying all the .dll files into the BF4.exe directory.

NOTHING WORKED...? :cry:
Game just loads normally
I do notice a kind of jolting in the Vive goggles, like its tries to do something for a second.

Im not mad, just frustrated. Your manual reads like its written for people with pervious Vireio Perception knowledge, and is very higgledy piggledy to be honest. Seems like KEY steps (for adding a game) are missing.

Im running a HTC Vive. I was expecting a setup instructions that had steps 1... 2... 3... Instead ur document just bombards the readers with a bunch of information, and no idea how to make it work.

I do appreciate ur work, and hope we can get BF4 working. Such a popular game im surprised it doesnt have a profile already.

Once i understand the process, im happy to make a youtube guide for the community :)

EDIT: My BF4 is installed via Origin, not sure if that complicates things? But i still copied the "openvr_api.dll" into the BF4 directory?
EisernSchild
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: Battlefield 4 Support? + Constructive Criticism

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi VRn00b !

Sorry that you could not find out how to inject to BF4, unfortunately i do not own the game to test for myself.

For the documentation i need to mention that i'm (the author of the doc file) native german, if anyone with better english than me finds the time to overwork this manual, this would be great eventually.

Anyway... Origin CAN be the reason why this does not work, maybe try to set "repetition" here :

<profile game_name="Battle Field 4" game_exe="bf4.exe" cpu_architecture="64bit" dx_version="11" repetition="1" />
  <profile game_name="Battle Field 4 Launcher" game_exe="BFLauncher.exe" cpu_architecture="64bit" dx_version="11" repetition="1"/>
  <profile game_name="Battle Field 4x86" game_exe="bf4_x86.exe" cpu_architecture="32bit" dx_version="11" repetition="1" />
The keyword "repetition" means to repeate the injection if a game loader (like Origin) breaks the game process for some reason, you can also set this to 2 or more for more injection repetitions.

We are currently finishing the eventual v4 driver, then we will have more time to actually concentrate on game support.

Regards, Denis
VRn00b
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VRn00b »

Hey Denis,

Great to hear from you :)

Your suggestion definitely made some progress, but the game crashes upon loading now.

Let me take you through the steps i've done, maybe you can spot a mistake.

1. create profile entry for battlefield 4

<profile game_name="Battle Feild 4" game_exe="bf4.exe" cpu_architecture="64bit" dx_version="11" repetition="1" />
2. Copy all the following files into the bf4.exe directory
openvr_api.dll (from steam)
Aquilinus_x64.dll
AquilinusRTE_x64.dll
d3d9_64.dll
libfreespace.dll
VRBoost64.dll
DeployVireioSymlinks64bit.cmd
RevokeVireioSymlinks64bit.cmd

3. Run steam VR

4. Run bf4.exe

5. Run Perception_x64.exe, select BF4 profile, click box (this seems to create the VireioPerception.ini)
NOTE: Must remove repetition="1" or VireioPerception.ini file wont create.

Game crashes at this point
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: bf4.exe
Application Version: 1.8.2.48475
Application Timestamp: 58ab1cc0
Fault Module Name: OpenVR-DirectMode.dll
6. Restart Perception_x64.exe, select BF4 profile, click box

7. Start BF4.exe with repetition="1" in profile.

Box turns green, monitor goes black, game crashes
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: bf4.exe
Application Version: 1.8.2.48475
Application Timestamp: 58ab1cc0
Fault Module Name: OpenVR-DirectMode.dll
NOTE: I have tried running both BF4.exe & Perception_x64.exe as ADMIN. Doesnt help.

Ive Also been trying to get Perception_Win32.exe to work with ARMA 2, but as it doesnt support DX9 yet, so that also wont work yet right?

PLEASE tell me if my steps are Wrong? If my steps are correct, you could use something like this in your manual, for people trying to add game profiles.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi !

Nothing done wrong here, the Perception OpenVR node (= SteamVR) crashes.

Are you fully sure you did take the 64bit version of "openvr_api.dll" ? This should be located in "//SteamVR//bin//win64". BTW... you do NOT need to copy any other files to the directory.

We are now close to release the eventual driver. I'm currently updating the Oculus nodes, then i will take a look at the OpenVR nodes, then i can say more.

Will add a "Tutorial" section to the manual based on this here ;-D
VRn00b
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VRn00b »

Some PROGRESS :)
Are you fully sure you did take the 64bit version of "openvr_api.dll" ?
I re-copied 64bit version of "openvr_api.dll and created a new VireioPerception.ini

Now when loading the game, im inside a cube with colored walls, 1 wall has the battlefield menu wall, however after a short time, that all disappears, and then im just in that empty HTC VR space (which is usually white) but its dark gray.

the HTC Vive controllers are still responding in game, but cant see any game graphics in the headset, and the headset does not control head movement.

Are there any logs which can help you?
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Hi, sorry for the late answer, i'm back from vacation now.

That cube is the customizable Vireio gaming room, so it at least starts the way it should.

I will take a look at BF4 soon, currently finishing up the driver.
dracflamloc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dracflamloc »

Wow, I'm really excited at the prospect of a new version soon. Thank you for this awesomely ambitious project!

Return to “Vireio Perception 4.X”