Anyone Want a Free Nvidia 3D Vision Setup?

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Anyone Want a Free Nvidia 3D Vision Setup?

Post by cybereality »

I've got an Asus 23" 3D monitor (VG236H) I'm not really using anymore and I figured it could use a good home.

Will send the monitor and the Nvidia 3D Vision 1 kit (glasses and emitter) for free to anywhere in the US.

Cheers.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Anyone Want a Free Nvidia 3D Vision Setup?

Post by geekmaster »

I am very interested in this, being a huge 3D fan all my life (inherited from my grandmother along with her stereoscope and 3D stereoscope card collection). Is shipping cost included, or do you need the recipient to pay that (which I cannot afford)?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nice, we have a taker. Was wondering when someone would reply.

Yes, I'll pay for shipping. No cost to you. Go ahead and send me a PM with your shipping details.

Cheers.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Thanks. PM'ed you my shipping details. This will get plenty of use as a 3D dev tool.
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BOLL »

Congratulations Geekmaster! :) I've had this kit myself back in early 2011, but using a different monitor. That specific monitor gave me bad top-bottom ghosting so I just gave up on it all and sold it. A disappointment as I really wanted stereo gaming, but meh, if it was still that mature I couldn't be bothered. Was seriously considering a €1000 Sony HMZ-T1 for quite a while, to get around the ghosting issue, but in the end deemed it too expensive. Then the Rift Kickstarter hit, w00t :P
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I had some good years with that monitor. There is some ghosting, sure, but overall it's a decent kit.

Now I have an Asus Rog Swift and 3D Vision 2, which improves a lot of things: less ghosting and brighter image (plus the monitor is bigger and higher res).

Though, honestly, I don't play too much 3D Vision lately. Of course, there's Rift, and also messing with other stuff like Surround, G-Sync and 4K in 2D.

I should really try to play with it more. Game support can kind of be a hit or miss but, when it's working, it's still quite amazing.
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BOLL »

I had a Samsung 2233RZ, which wasn't all that great. I enjoyed the stereo a lot though but between the games I played I had quite a few issues with depth disparity: outlines and interface being at zero depth. This made many games I wanted to play quite uncomfortable.

The best thing I played, which had me drool at my desk, was Half-Life 2, even though I at first had a zero-depth cross-hair. Just turning it off made things better. Incidentally I played through all of HL2 in VR just a few months after getting my DK1 :) Such a great experience.

Now I'd love an auto-stereoscopic monitor mostly for looking at stereoscopic photos, videos and screenshots. I haven't looked into it though recently though, not when most display hardware can now be simulated in VR to various degrees of fidelity.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Some of my cameras and phones have (parallax barrier) autostereoscopic displays. It would be amazing to have a full-sized autostereoscopic monitor, but like the cameras, viewing angle and distance would be important so probably not very good for group viewing.

Past experience with LCS glasses taught me that a dimmer display in a darkened room has less ghosting.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@Geekmaster Congratulations

Ghosting in general has much intensity with Wrong Gama Profile, Wrongly calibrated colors and Very High Stereo Separation.
For reducing ghosting I suggest following steps...

1) Always seat parallel to your monitor, don't rely on monitor tilt or height adjustment and keep display straight facing you.
2) Well calibrate your display, try various brightness and Gama Settings till result is satisfactory to your eyes.
3) Try to find best stereo settings starting with minimum separation and increase slider till ghosting begin,
then convince your self with that depth don't be greedy for more stereo as ghosting kills joy much.

Please share your findings after some tinkering, much chances you be happy with it.
Happy LG D2342P user.(*DDD drivers still rocks, but i play less S3D games now #Waiting to get VR upgrade)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Though I have not tested it yet, I have seen claims (in another thread here) that ghosting on this monitor is only a problem with HDMI video (which I am using) and that there is no ghosting with VGA video. In that thread they used custom EDID overrides to eliminate HDMI 3D ghosting.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I don't believe 3D works on HDMI with that set (or VGA for that matter). You'll need to use DVI.
JacobVR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JacobVR »

I got the trial reset, but I still can't get this thing to work. I am trying to get it to work through 3D Vision.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

What hardware do you have and what are you trying to do?
JacobVR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JacobVR »

Note that some of the more recent game fixes at helixmod.blogspot (3D Vision fixed games) support SBS and TAB display directly, so you can view 3D with your (native) Samsung glasses, without 3DTV Play or 3D Vision glasses for these games. 3DTV Play does not support resolution higher than 1080p, and 3DTV Play only supports 1080p at 24 fps - creating additional timing lag in gaming control (very undesirable)...

Return to “General Discussion”