I Want to collaborate and improve VR games

This forum is for the brand new Vireio Perception virtual reality drivers. History in the making!
Flynn
One Eyed Hopeful

I Want to collaborate and improve VR games

Post by Flynn »

Hello everyone :)

I'm a 22 years old boy, very passionate about virtual reality and sci-fi.
I want to work with some aaa titles and improve their vr experience.
For example, add oculus touch support to half life 2 or add free movement to a games that use teleport in gameplay.
Therefore, what kind of skills and ability I must have to do this?
How and where i can start?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: I Want to collaborate and improve VR games

Post by cybereality »

Hi, welcome!

Modding games to change gameplay significantly (such as rewiring for Touch controls or adding a teleport mechanic) is not trivial. Some games have dedicated modding SDKs and this may be possible (like I believe Half Life 2 does). However, most commercial games are locked down pretty hard and without any sort of modding tools or SDK access. Though stuff can be done with DirectX injection or device emulation, it would still be very difficult (if not impossible) to add teleport into a game that used free movement.

I'd actually recommend downloading Unity (free) and trying to make your own demos or games. There's lots of art you can buy on the asset store: guns, characters, environments, all sorts of stuff. It's not too hard to cobble something together yourself, and you can learn a lot coding little demos. You should understand some programming, ideally C# for Unity, though the basic logic elements and flow control is all the same in most of the popular languages (C, C++, C#, Java, etc.).

If you've never programmed before, start with something small like remaking Pong or Asteroids or some old game. Then work up to more complex games from there. In terms of learning, there are lots of Unity books on Amazon. I've also found some good videos on Udemy for Unity development. Both are paid, if you want free resources you can find stuff of YouTube as well or just search around the Unity documentation and forums if you need to figure out something in specific.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Vireio Perception 4.X”