HD2900XT DX10

Talk about AMD/ATI GPUs and driver performance here.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

HD2900XT DX10

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

I'm getting reports that ATI released their new HD2900XT DX10 card today. Do you have a review to share?

What's the buzz on the street? How does it compare to the 8800 series cards?

Neil
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I googled on the card and found this:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... h1c2lhc3Q=

This new card seems not even capable of the 8800GTS 640mb...
just look at the setting which had to be choosen in Oblivion and Stalker!
Lower resolution and shadow options in Stalker and lower Grass Settings in Oblivion to achieve an equal performance...
On top of that it doesn't support 3d Stereo :wink:

It's weaknesses might be the 512mb of ram, but at least it 'has a 512 MB of GDDR3 on a 512-bit', whereas the 8800GTX 'just' has Ram on 384-bit. This might give Ati's card an advantage with big streaming formats (extreme HD)^^.

In the end is to mention it needs an awful lot of power, althoug it is based on the new 65nm technology...

Luke
Left Shoe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Left Shoe »

LukePC1 wrote:I googled on the card and found this:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... h1c2lhc3Q=

This new card seems not even capable of the 8800GTS 640mb...
just look at the setting which had to be choosen in Oblivion and Stalker!
Lower resolution and shadow options in Stalker and lower Grass Settings in Oblivion to achieve an equal performance...
On top of that it doesn't support 3d Stereo :wink:

It's weaknesses might be the 512mb of ram, but at least it 'has a 512 MB of GDDR3 on a 512-bit', whereas the 8800GTX 'just' has Ram on 384-bit. This might give Ati's card an advantage with big streaming formats (extreme HD)^^.

In the end is to mention it needs an awful lot of power, althoug it is based on the new 65nm technology...

Luke
Those problems were because of driver issues, some of which have already been solved, and it tops the GTS in almost every other test. (The card it was designed to compete with)

Also, it's not based on 65nm process. It's the only next-gen card ATi is releasing that is still based on 80nm. They postponed their "powerhouse" card, the R650, a few months due to severe problems with its drivers and minor GDDR4 issues.

Although Sapphire is rumoured to be releasing an HD2900XTX with 1GB GDDR4 and higher clock speeds.

Get your facts straight, please.
warface
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by warface »

Facts straight or not......

I will wait for some personal testing time to make a decision. Both of the top two postings have both been speculation.

Return to “General AMD/ATI Discussion”