RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

SaltySalmon
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

Post by SaltySalmon »

Yes the utility shows DK2 and I am able to start the demo scene. One problem I faced with the utility is the IPD measurement scene thing, I could adjust the green lines but at the end I couldn't click accept on the final screen. How did you manage to get assetto corsa to work willibeu? Do I have to just set screen to oculus in video options or are there more I have to do? On a side note, my computer was unable to detect or show anything on the rift when "oculus display driver" was installed. could this be sign of the problem? I have to uninstall it for rift to work.
willibeu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by willibeu »

If your system ran the DK1 without problems ...it should work fine with the Riftup with the latest oculus SDK and runtime. Very important to make the rift the primary display and run in extended in the oculus cofig..i don't use the DK1 legacy setting. It might have something to do with your system. Assetto Corsa needs to be set up to run on the rift in the AC settings only. Not sure why that would not work. ...also do not update the rift firmware. I'm assuming that would cause problems. When you have the rift enabled does it show up as Riftup DK1 in the computers devices? If your computer does not recognize it ...thats your problem.
GOD
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GOD »

GOOD NEWS!!!! :D I got a reasonable quote on 2.5k displays, so the 2.5k resolution (1440x2560) NEO HMD Is now available for pre-order! :D
I think this is the first 1440p resolution HMD commercially available in its class. Board uses the Toshiba 358870XBG. This thread helped make it happen (starting before the thread was named what it is named now). I was reading it for the past year, so PM for a discount if mentioning this post! :D
Yes, it's a 1440p (2.5k) HMD!!!! :D
:woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot
Product page is here: http://WWW.GODHEADVR.COM
Pre-order page is here: http://www.mkt.com/vronline

Main MTBS page is here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20276

Note: Some of the suppliers of the HMD components expect a minimum order quantity. May still be possible to ship some units early though. Any units shipped by December 25 would likely have a 3D printed casing and some other variations from final commercial product. This is because shipping a new display product within a month is VERY fast.

(PS: I have put soooooooooo much work into this already. Easily more than a thousand hours, including about 600-700 hours of CAD work. Thanks in advance for helping this project to overcome the naysayers and politics. I tried to post on Kickstarter, yet had hassles (like Lockitron did before) because I have been visiting china and actually arranging factories and working on the product instead working on a fake hype Kickstarter video (yes...Nimble Sense and AntVR....those videos). Thus, the NEO HMD product is more advanced than the video would be...and Kickstarter seemingly has no concept of anything in tech anymore other than glitzy fake videos. Ever tried renting an Oakley camera in a chinese factory city?)
saru009
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saru009 »

Hello

I bought 2 riftup! kit from GateCom Incorporated s.r.o.
1 riftup! screen isn't indicated.
A short trace isn't found in a foundation.
Please tell me the way to check it conversantly.

saru009
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lindblum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lindblum »

saru009,
I'm a bit confused, can you please rephrase that for me?
The screen isn't indicated by what?
What do you mean by short trace?
For other reasons I ask:
When did you buy them?
Was it through riftup.vrunion.com?
Are those pictures of what arrived?
synchromesh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by synchromesh »

Lindblum wrote:When did you buy them, was it through riftup.vrunion.com, and are those pictures of what arrived?
I'm also interested to know where you bought them - I still haven't received my stand-alone kit from the Indiegogo campaign, and Karel & Daniel stopped replying to my emails at the start of September. :cry:
saru009
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saru009 »

I and my friend bought 2qty riftup! kit from a VR union on September 18, 2014 through a paypal.
My friend installed riftup! kit immediately.
But I opened that recently because I have not a DK1 yet.
The friend's riftup! is normal.
But my riftup! doesn't operate.
A screen doesn't seem.
I contacted a VR union many times.
But everything is ignored.
They were kind until I paid.
I'm disappointed at them now.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Hi,
one important inforamtion RiftUp is working ONLY Rotated 90 deg and 1080x1920 60 Hz resolution !
saru009
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saru009 »

Yes, I know.
We tried two riftup! by the same PC.
one is normal,another one is screen isn't indicated.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Cable is ok ? (I know you tested all...)
Today I sended privat mail to boys from Prague... I am sad that there are unhappy RiftUp buyers and are serious problems with it...
I am in close contact with both (VR Union and Daniel) and at start all looks problemless....I cannot understand it. Sorry
saru009
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saru009 »

Cable is Ok, thank you
Lindblum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lindblum »

My DK1 screen is defunct, so I am on VR hiatus until I either repair it with a screen upgrade, or wait for something better than DK2. I want to see Daniel and Karel succeed, but for now this thread is the best indicator I have of how things are going, because business looks paralyzed to me.

Saru, have you tried testing connection on other computers, or with another HDMI cable? Does your control box turn on, is its power adapter producing a steady current? I hear a full shutdown (leave it off several seconds) can help clear the computer's hardware profile.
saru009
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saru009 »

inspected a riftup by the following way.

1. friends cb+ friends LCD=OK

2.friends cb + my LCD=NO

3.my cb + friends LCD=OK

4.my cb + my LCD=NO

The cause is a screen.
synchromesh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by synchromesh »

OK, I had an email conversation today with Daniel and he says he's going to ship my standalone unit tomorrow. He also said they probably won't be building any more RiftUP! units, although it looks like they have other HMD stuff in the pipeline.

So we'll see what happens...
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

OH....one more HMD
But they HV proven delivery record.
Hence more credibility compare to unknowns.
saru009
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saru009 »

I bought a riftup from a CEO of VR union.
But a mail about a defect is ignored.
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Lindblum wrote:My DK1 screen is defunct, so I am on VR hiatus until I either repair it with a screen upgrade, or wait for something better than DK2. I want to see Daniel and Karel succeed, but for now this thread is the best indicator I have of how things are going, because business looks paralyzed to me.

Saru, have you tried testing connection on other computers, or with another HDMI cable? Does your control box turn on, is its power adapter producing a steady current? I hear a full shutdown (leave it off several seconds) can help clear the computer's hardware profile.
"Syncromesh"OK, I had an email conversation today with Daniel and he says he's going to ship my standalone unit tomorrow. He also said they probably won't be building any more RiftUP! units, although it looks like they have other HMD stuff in the pipeline.

I think VRUnion members are focusing on a new dual quad HMD called "Claire" 5K, if I recall correctly.
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
synchromesh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by synchromesh »

Hannibalj2 wrote:I think VRUnion members are focusing on a new dual quad HMD called "Claire" 5K, if I recall correctly.
So it would seem: I found this presentation by Karel at Relalte280 Berlin in November.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Interesting, well by the picture and the time frame, then I will say that a potential collaboration between the guys of Infiniteye offered the software and hardware designs, while VRUnion quad display's tech could be what constitute the core of the "Claire" 5k?

I personally like the ideology that VRUnion is trying to achieve. I'll definitely back up the unit if they offer it.

Note: I really dislike the design of the headset thought, it reminds me of a 1970's bulky Cadillac. But if it performs well, then that is all that matters
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

@saru009 - check PM - I will take care of the screen replacement, Karel from VR Union is usually away - both from real reality and the office.
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

Btw I got contacted by local lawyers hired by Oculus, to make me rename the "RiftUp!" - they are afraid that this device of ours might be understood that it is made by Oculus and also that it is offending the "Oculus Rift" trademark. How can I know what the f*ck Oculus Rift is when they so far showed only DK1 and DK2, none of which is marked with word Rift nor phrase Oculus Rift on their boxes. What do you guys think, what the Oculus Rift really is? Did anybody get a product which had the words "Oculus Rift" written on it?
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

My Rift only says "Oculus" and not "Rift", so not sure if that counts. Although the product technically is called the Rift. If the term "Rift" is trademarked, it may be a problem since the "RiftUP" may be considered a derivative. Especially since both products are within the same industry.

Also the name "Rift" is heavily associated with Oculus even though the DK's aren't technically named "Rift".
Legal wise, I do not know the ramifications since it can become murky via semantic association.

I am not taking sides here, I like Oculus and also what the VRUnion is doing. To avoid problems, just check with a lawyer so you can cover yourselves.

synchromesh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by synchromesh »

Just a follow-up to my earlier post to say that yesterday my RiftUP! stand-alone kit did in fact arrive. Thanks Daniel!
Moerf
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moerf »

My RiftUp! standalone Kit arrived yesterday, too.
Though I won't be getting around until after Christmas to try it out.

6 month later sure seems like a long time ;) Luckily it didn't feel as long due to the DK2.
synchromesh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by synchromesh »

Moerf wrote:My RiftUp! standalone Kit arrived yesterday, too.
Though I won't be getting around until after Christmas to try it out.

6 month later sure seems like a long time ;) Luckily it didn't feel as long due to the DK2.
This is pretty much exactly my situation also. I'll be upgrading my DK1 with mine so I'll need to collect up what documentation I can find - what do you plan to do with yours?
Moerf
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moerf »

synchromesh wrote: This is pretty much exactly my situation also. I'll be upgrading my DK1 with mine so I'll need to collect up what documentation I can find - what do you plan to do with yours?
My plans are to insert the kit into my Dive (http://www.durovis.com/index.html) unit and to play SBS content from TriDef Drivers on it that makes my nauseas inside the Rift DK2 (FPS and the like).
Due to the limited FOV the dive is more like a big 3d screen in front of me instead of the whole inside feeling of the Rift.
I could theoretically use SBS in programs like Virtual Desktop but 1. it crashes very often when used with TriDef and Games and 2. the sensed DPI and used screen area is much higher due to the limited FOV and magnification of the Dive.
Of course I need to find out how to "de"-stretch the image, because it is meant for full screen interlaced passive 3D monitors. But I am sure with time I or someone else will figure something out.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Moerf wrote: I need to find out how to "de"-stretch the image, because it is meant for full screen interlaced passive 3D monitors.
All you need to do is set game resolution at 1024X768 or 1280X1024. at this resolution game will play in 3:2 aspect ratio. 1920X1080 5.5" screen can not offer Wide ratio in SBS, So if you select
1920X1080 or 1280X800 it will display vertically stretched images which will look odd. downsizing resolution will also give hike in FPS.
Moerf wrote:My plans are to insert the kit into my Dive (http://www.durovis.com/index.html) unit and to play SBS content from TriDef Drivers on it that makes my nauseas inside the Rift DK2 (FPS and the like).
Due to the limited FOV the dive is more like a big 3d screen in front of me instead of the whole inside feeling of the Rift.
:) I insist Oculus to also pack 5X or 4X optics for SBS giant screen gaming...Anyway they are packing 2 pair with DK2 what's wrong in packing one for this kind of purpose.

Why are you fitting it in your Durovis Dive......Dive has bad optics.

You can build nice hmd with pair of this if your purpose is giant screen SBS gaming as these have minimal distortion.
http://www.amazon.com/MiniBrite-Slide-O ... B00524H8MC

Alternatively ideal to fit the standalone display kit.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VR-3d-gl ... 58016.html

How head-tracking is handled in case of standalone display kit??
Moerf
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moerf »

Dilip wrote: All you need to do is set game resolution at 1024X768 or 1280X1024. at this resolution game will play in 3:2 aspect ratio. 1920X1080 5.5" screen can not offer Wide ratio in SBS, So if you select
1920X1080 or 1280X800 it will display vertically stretched images which will look odd. downsizing resolution will also give hike in FPS.
I will try that. Thank you for the input. I was thinking in this direction as one option as well. But did not have a display to test it until now and limelight/Splashtop with my Nexus 5 was a hassle anyways ^^.

Dilip wrote: :) I insist Oculus to also pack 5X or 4X optics for SBS giant screen gaming...Anyway they are packing 2 pair with DK2 what's wrong in packing one for this kind of purpose.

Why are you fitting it in your Durovis Dive......Dive has bad optics.

You can build nice hmd with pair of this if your purpose is giant screen SBS gaming as these have minimal distortion.
http://www.amazon.com/MiniBrite-Slide-O ... B00524H8MC

Alternatively ideal to fit the standalone display kit.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VR-3d-gl ... 58016.html
I use the Dive, because it was the first one and I have it laying around ;) But the china goggle look nice as well. I'll look into that, thanks.
Yeah, the DK3/Consumer whatever definitely could use something like this, also a 2D giant screen content viewer would be great.
Dilip wrote: How head-tracking is handled in case of standalone display kit??
Well head-tracking is not handled at the moment. I was playing around with self-built track-ir with some success. But in the end all is inferior to DK2's tracking and as such it always feels some kind of wrong.

But then again, as a giant SBS screen I did not miss head-tracking very much I have to say (tried it with Nexus 5 and limelight/Splashtop). I can just speculate that this is also due to the lesser magnification.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

people do want good display fidelity. Why to cry here its loud and clear on their own forum.
https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16394

Just same as I expressed dk2 great at everything except visuals. When oculus kit had removable optics why they are not providing option for lesser FoV but great image like 75 degree with A cup 90 degree with B cup and 105 digree with C cup. Let player decide he want image quality at 75 degree or balance at 90 degree or super blow at 105 degree fov . This is million dollar idea giving here free.... Just make distortion variable according to cup types.

Cup A : let's begin
Cup B : Are you serious?
Cup C : Are you Nuts !!!!
( Tribute: MJ song "Black or white" see the beginning ;) )

Very simple...
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Hi all ,

here it is something about flexible OLEDS - production plan ....very interesting

http://news.oled-display.net/flexible-curved-oled/

Lindblum
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lindblum »

My RiftUp (one of the last) arrived last week. It wasn't difficult to install, but working around its portrait orientation makes some of my applications trickier to use, especially the ones that I used to use duplicate mode for. Aside from some aliasing, I like the resolution, and might not bother to put a diffuser film over the screen (one less place for dust to get trapped). It's an unexpected drawback, but having a crisper screen makes it more noticeable when my lenses fog.

Hornet, it would be great to see a curved screen come to VR. I thought it would be more exciting to have a working Rift again with higher resolution, but it still feels like tunnel vision, and I'm not getting a new HMD until the peripheral immersion factor is there. Convex lenses and flat screens are not going to close this gap, although I am making attempts at installing little mirrors to create the illusion of peripheral vision.

Dillip, hey, I use C cups!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Lindblum wrote: Hornet, it would be great to see a curved screen come to VR. I thought it would be more exciting to have a working Rift again with higher resolution, but it still feels like tunnel vision, and I'm not getting a new HMD until the peripheral immersion factor is there. Convex lenses and flat screens are not going to close this gap, although I am making attempts at installing little mirrors to create the illusion of peripheral vision.

Dillip, hey, I use C cups!

Curved screen can open whole new dimension I strongly believe. Sadly though oculus said its just not needed.
Nothing can match immersion of image displayed ear to ear. We need special optics though too fully take advantage as normal aspheric lenses can not show clear what is between 0 to 25 and 155 to 180 degree so max with current lenses I assume horizontal view limit 130 degree (Rift already at 110)where binocular overlap being 90 degree additional 20 degree monocular both sides, even if you use curved oled playing ear to ear. So here special optics needed.

This is pure theoritical assumption with facts I know.....corrections welcome.

@Lindblum
So you are in FoV, even though at cost of lower visuals?
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

I think that the furure is one dual curved creen with two curved fresnels - incredible light with extreme fov, one input as Rift. OR (this is my idea) concave oled screen as iner surface of half of ball and round plastic optic as complete ball...or fresnel concave? Second can give extreme fov.
FatMcNasty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FatMcNasty »

Have any of you tried a TrackIR 5 with the RiftUP DK1? does it work as a sudo DK2 head tracking in 1:1 mode? this is the last thing I need to work out to be good to go all around..
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

I am setting up a friend with my old RiftUP! so he can play Elite Dangerous in the Rift. I have successfully managed in install the Oculus runtime 0.4.4 to his computer and patched the runtime (with a little renaming handiwork) with Dr. Beef's excellent OVR patcher. Everything works fine except for one thing. I noticed that the colors in the cockpit are washed out in the same way that they get when my DK2 positional tracking camera loses sight of the Rift. Of course, the RiftUP! has no PT. So is there any way to fool ED into thinking that the camera has a lock so it will look normal in the RiftUP? Any of the old RiftUP! community still out there and supporting the RiftUP? (Dr. Beef?)

On this other hand, I also have an old TrackIR 3. Is there any way to use the positional tracking from the TrackIR to do positional tracking in the RiftUP?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

(edit...I had forgotten how much better the screen in the RiftUP! is than the DK2. Wow!)
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

davidmi58 wrote:edit...I had forgotten how much better the screen in the RiftUP! is than the DK2. Wow!
Couse its indeed has more pixel per inch..

Rift Up 1920X3(RGB)X1080 = 6.22 MPx
Dk2 Pentile 1920X2(RG/BG)X1080 = 4.15 MPx

Its solid reason there should be RiftUp using LG G3 Screen WHOPPING 11 MPx
FatMcNasty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FatMcNasty »

davidmi58 wrote:I am setting up a friend with my old RiftUP! so he can play Elite Dangerous in the Rift. I have successfully managed in install the Oculus runtime 0.4.4 to his computer and patched the runtime (with a little renaming handiwork) with Dr. Beef's excellent OVR patcher. Everything works fine except for one thing. I noticed that the colors in the cockpit are washed out in the same way that they get when my DK2 positional tracking camera loses sight of the Rift. Of course, the RiftUP! has no PT. So is there any way to fool ED into thinking that the camera has a lock so it will look normal in the RiftUP? Any of the old RiftUP! community still out there and supporting the RiftUP? (Dr. Beef?)

On this other hand, I also have an old TrackIR 3. Is there any way to use the positional tracking from the TrackIR to do positional tracking in the RiftUP?

(edit...I had forgotten how much better the screen in the RiftUP! is than the DK2. Wow!)
Did you try adjusting the brightness and contrast a bit on the RiftUp? And please try the trackIR and Riftup. Im holding off on buying the TrackIR 5 until I know it will work.
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

FatMcNasty wrote:
davidmi58 wrote:I am setting up a friend with my old RiftUP! so he can play Elite Dangerous in the Rift. I have successfully managed in install the Oculus runtime 0.4.4 to his computer and patched the runtime (with a little renaming handiwork) with Dr. Beef's excellent OVR patcher. Everything works fine except for one thing. I noticed that the colors in the cockpit are washed out in the same way that they get when my DK2 positional tracking camera loses sight of the Rift. Of course, the RiftUP! has no PT. So is there any way to fool ED into thinking that the camera has a lock so it will look normal in the RiftUP? Any of the old RiftUP! community still out there and supporting the RiftUP? (Dr. Beef?)

Did you try adjusting the brightness and contrast a bit on the RiftUp? And please try the trackIR and Riftup. Im holding off on buying the TrackIR 5 until I know it will work.
I have increased the brightness of the HUD in ED and that helps a little. I have also used an injector to adjust the intensity of the color and that can help a little. Neither of those things make it quite right, though.
As for the TrackIR, I have tried it but without success. I know that ED supports the Rift and the TrackIR but I don't see a way to combine inputs from both. I think you either set it to read the Rift's sensors or the TIR, not both. Opentrack is a tool that could support multiple inputs but I was unable to get it to work with both the DK1 and TrackIR as combined inputs. Does anyone know if this is possible? Even if I could, I am not sure you could use opentrack with a game that already has Rift support. If anyone knows how to do this, I would love to know.
FatMcNasty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FatMcNasty »

davidmi58 wrote: I have increased the brightness of the HUD in ED and that helps a little. I have also used an injector to adjust the intensity of the color and that can help a little. Neither of those things make it quite right, though.
As for the TrackIR, I have tried it but without success. I know that ED supports the Rift and the TrackIR but I don't see a way to combine inputs from both. I think you either set it to read the Rift's sensors or the TIR, not both. Opentrack is a tool that could support multiple inputs but I was unable to get it to work with both the DK1 and TrackIR as combined inputs. Does anyone know if this is possible? Even if I could, I am not sure you could use opentrack with a game that already has Rift support. If anyone knows how to do this, I would love to know.
look back a few pages there are button combos on the controller box to adjust the contrast and brightness of the unit it self.. I had to do mine when i got it due to it being too bright for me. As for the trackIR I was thinking 1:1 mode.
3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJB »

So I made a terrible mistake and sold my DK1 W/ RiftUp! display a few months back when I was hurting for money due to an unexpected hospital bill. I now have enough comfortable funds, I would love love love to repurchase a RiftUp! display but I get a bad feeling that I have missed that boat and it is not at all possible to purchase another one at this point :( . I have visited the RiftUp VR Union page, but it states that they have 158 more RiftUps they have to get reserved before they will process the orders and it has stated that for a couple of months now. I don't know what the deal is with that. Does anyone know what the latest status is on obtaining a 1080p DK1 or equivalent device at this point? I saw that there is a 3D printable option called "Claire" for those that don't have a DK1, but does that include the motion tracker and Ocular lenses/eye cups? Can someone please lead me in the right direction to try to correct the terrible decision I made a few months back so I can get back to enjoying the 1080p goodness that I miss so much!

Return to “Oculus VR”