DIY GunTroller! (implementation and move aim modes)

Discussion of tools and products that add VR physicality. Samples include VR treadmills, special hand controllers, gesture technology and more.
TheVividLight
One Eyed Hopeful

DIY GunTroller! (implementation and move aim modes)

Post by TheVividLight »

Hey Everyone,

so the guntroller is finally complete! Hurray! I keep planning on posting my designs and how I did it for <$60 on here at some point, but im trying to make it more streamlined right before I post it :)

****edit: I shortened this up quite a bit to get more to the point***

I am at a complete loss as to how to implement independent weapon tracking into a game that has previously been made (i.e. where the crosshair isnt necessarily locked into the center of your hud). EX: Bioshock infinite, farcry3, etc. I know these all were made with different engines, and have different ini's, cfgs, etc.

Is there a good starting point on where to look for something like this?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: DIY GunTroller! (implementation and move aim modes)

Post by cybereality »

You would have to mod the game, as was done on HL2. Not all games have such extensive SDKs.

Just trying to hack any game to do this probably won't work.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Or if you want to just go the cheapo way, just make the trigger the primary mouse click and have the head control the view.

Every time you fire, force yourself to hold the gun up to your face so it lines up with the virtual gun.

If you can't make the virtual world mirror the real one, make the real world mirror the virtual one! :)
TheVividLight
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheVividLight »

Thanks for the responses!

Right now that is exactly what I am doing (aiming my with my face and firing my gun-shaped controller) - which does add an element of immersion vs a normal wireless controller.

I agree though that modding the games arent exactly the easiest road to take, and many games dont have an sdk which allows for it. The search continues for an easy way to mod games that arent valve games/elder-scrolls games. lol. Hate to group them all in together, but they seem like they were the most 'open' to being tampered with and modded.

I can't foresee the future without games that have independent mouse movement/gun movement. seems like such a trivial thing to add to newer games even if just a small (yet growing) % of people would use the feature.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

We're waiting....................... LOL
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
konstantin_lozev
Cross Eyed!

Post by konstantin_lozev »

Hi, I am new here, but I have experimented with the wii and GlovePIE for some time. Here is an idea for you:
- control the "looking" while your gun is on the hip with your head tracker (or whatever you have there in your setup)
- control the "aiming" with your gun once you bring up the iron sights
I have used such a "hybrid" script concept for my wii project and it works really well (I only use the wiimote, but in two different modes depending on whether you look around or aim down the sights)

Return to “Physical VR Tools”