New Omnidirectional treadmill

Discussion of tools and products that add VR physicality. Samples include VR treadmills, special hand controllers, gesture technology and more.
emsman
One Eyed Hopeful

New Omnidirectional treadmill

Post by emsman »

I was wondering if you all saw the new omnidirectional treadmill at Silicon Valley Virtual Reality expo? It is called the Infinadeck. Thoughts?
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: New Omnidirectional treadmill

Post by V8Griff »

Very clever, that looks amazing. Did anyone on here have a go on that at SVVR?

I doubt it will be that cheap but If that isn't ridiculously expensive that is very cool indeed.

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoVAOfU ... lpage#t=94[/youtube-hd]
emsman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by emsman »

The Infinadeck is currently in development. The video shows the prototype.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

It's a very impressive engineering feat. I would like to believe that it can be improved to the point that it could handle a leisurely walk without balance assist. I would be satisfied with that and would pay a couple thousand dollars for that level of performance - provided it could easily be stored in a garage.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think a design like this is probably the only thing that will give a true sense of walking. Well, because you are basically walking for real.

However, in terms of cost and space restrictions, I think passive ODTs like the Omni seem more practical.

Anyhow, even if this thing was affordable I don't know where I could put it in my apartment.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

emsman wrote:I was wondering if you all saw the new omnidirectional treadmill at Silicon Valley Virtual Reality expo? It is called the Infinadeck. Thoughts?
We saw it in this forum two years ago already :) :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 322#p84322

Great that they've been able to build a functional prototype. I'm very curious about how they're going to implement tracking, I think that's really the key to make it viable.
emsman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by emsman »

All great questions! Size is a common issue raised. The plan is to make it ~ 40x40 (the size of a gait in a jog). it's estimated that the cost will be around $2,000, though it's just a guess currently.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Fredz wrote:
emsman wrote:I was wondering if you all saw the new omnidirectional treadmill at Silicon Valley Virtual Reality expo? It is called the Infinadeck. Thoughts?
We saw it in this forum two years ago already :) :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 322#p84322

Great that they've been able to build a functional prototype. I'm very curious about how they're going to implement tracking, I think that's really the key to make it viable.

Agreed. The software engineering required for tracking and motion prediction shouldn't be underestimated here. It's a difficult problem that is just as important as the mechanics for the overall experience.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

The design is pretty brilliant. It does leave me wondering though: even if the motion of the treadmill and tracking system was perfected, is it actually possible to exactly recreate the feeling of walking/running, particularly going from a dead stop?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

MSat wrote:The design is pretty brilliant. It does leave me wondering though: even if the motion of the treadmill and tracking system was perfected, is it actually possible to exactly recreate the feeling of walking/running, particularly going from a dead stop?
I don't believe it's possible to replicate locomotion while remaining stationary. For one, your body mass does not accelerate so you don't feel inertia. Also, the energy of your legs does not transfer directly to forward motion. It sort of "slips" as the treadmill absorbs your energy. I think it can feel pretty close and good enough for immersion - but not "really real". I think walking through mocap tracked spaces are the only way to really feel like you are moving.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

There was a treadmill used in a British TV programme called The Gadget Show that was a full blown immersive simulator of Battlefield 3. That used an expensive roller based treadmill where the movement was tracked by expensive optical motion sensor systems so I guess a version of that or maybe the RF tracking system being discussed on here could be used to control the treadmill.

Video here for anyone who hasn't seen it, but I believe some viewers in teh USA cannot see it due to restrictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY&feature=kp
MSat

Post by MSat »

brantlew wrote:
MSat wrote:The design is pretty brilliant. It does leave me wondering though: even if the motion of the treadmill and tracking system was perfected, is it actually possible to exactly recreate the feeling of walking/running, particularly going from a dead stop?
I don't believe it's possible to replicate locomotion while remaining stationary. For one, your body mass does not accelerate so you don't feel inertia. Also, the energy of your legs does not transfer directly to forward motion. It sort of "slips" as the treadmill absorbs your energy. I think it can feel pretty close and good enough for immersion - but not "really real". I think walking through mocap tracked spaces are the only way to really feel like you are moving.
That's what I was thinking. Although I do think a backpack-style harness can partially give you the impression of your body overcoming inertia (at least in the way it feels when you wear a backpack).
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

MSat wrote:
brantlew wrote:
That's what I was thinking. Although I do think a backpack-style harness can partially give you the impression of your body overcoming inertia (at least in the way it feels when you wear a backpack).
There is a way to kind of simulate the inertia and that is with using gravity for acceleration/deceleration in a similar way to the car racing (or flight) simulators, however you need individually tilting shoe soles as well as a tilting platform. It will only give a partial simulation too, not 100%
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

V8Griff wrote:There was a treadmill used in a British TV programme called The Gadget Show that was a full blown immersive simulator of Battlefield 3.
There is also a smaller sized version of this, keeping an eye on it from time to time :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOGL-SsB0ZM
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

That is very cool. :)

Never seen that before, good find.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I try to keep track of as many locomotion devices as possible, you can find lists of them here :
- http://vrwiki.wikispaces.com/Locomotion+devices
- http://vrwiki.wikispaces.com/accessorie ... %20devices
MSat

Post by MSat »

android78 wrote: There is a way to kind of simulate the inertia and that is with using gravity for acceleration/deceleration in a similar way to the car racing (or flight) simulators, however you need individually tilting shoe soles as well as a tilting platform. It will only give a partial simulation too, not 100%
This is an interesting thought. I'm trying to visualize how it would work for walking. I don't know what the tilting shoes could do in this case, although they seem like they could be useful in simulating inclines/declines and stairs.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Fredz wrote:I try to keep track of as many locomotion devices as possible, you can find lists of them here :
- http://vrwiki.wikispaces.com/Locomotion+devices
- http://vrwiki.wikispaces.com/accessorie ... %20devices
Great resource are you one of the contributors ? A link to that page should be your signature.

That is excellent :D
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I've set up the Wiki and I'm the only contributor except for some others I gave the rights to edit their VR Jam entry.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Fredz wrote:I've set up the Wiki and I'm the only contributor except for some others I gave the rights to edit their VR Jam entry.
Take a bow, it's a great resource. Image
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Return to “Physical VR Tools”