OCULUS RIFT DEVELOPERS UNPHASED BY FACEBOOK BUYOUT

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

OCULUS RIFT DEVELOPERS UNPHASED BY FACEBOOK BUYOUT

Post by metalqueen »

Indies speak up.

BY JUSTIN DAVIS

MARCH 26, 2014The reaction within the gaming community to the news that Facebook is buying virtual reality pioneers Oculus VR for $2 billion in cash and stock has been less than positive, to say the least. But what about the enthusiast Oculus developers themselves?

Read the whole story here.

Read full article...
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: OCULUS RIFT DEVELOPERS UNPHASED BY FACEBOOK BUYOUT

Post by V8Griff »

No real surprise there then.

I'd wager that the majority of the 'Reddit Ranters' et al aren't even developers or if they are weren't ever going to contribute anything worthwhile to the VR ecosystem anyway.

When a 'niche' and 'esoteric' technology makes it onto the 6pm national news in the UK you know people are sitting up and taking notice, for every Facebook hater who's thrown their toys out of the pram I'd be willing to guess there will be at least another 20 waiting to take their place.

I'd imagine the Oculus sales page went in meltdown again yesterday.
budwheizzah
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: OCULUS RIFT DEVELOPERS UNPHASED BY FACEBOOK BUYOUT

Post by budwheizzah »

Honestly as a dev myself I can say I partly agree with this headline... I mean sure, we're all grieving as much as say, the Kickstarter investors, but amongst all Rift developers I know including myself, none cancelled their DK2 orders. We have work to do that we began months and months ago - in my case outright learning game development from the rock bottom - so we're not going to make rash decisions I figure.

Still though in my case I find the acuisition quite troubling... and the re-branding rumors seem, all too true to ignore. It's a terrible situation, but given our personal woprk we have to live with it and stay the course.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”