oculus rift 1080p upgrate has done!

Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

oculus rift 1080p upgrate has done!

Post by Vturksoy »

Hi Rifters,
Take a look at my 1080p oculus rift Finally I did it :twisted: I used "5,5 LG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: oculus rift 1080p upgrate has done!

Post by Drewbdoo »

Very nice. I like the spacer inside the housing, looks very professional. I wants one ;)
ThePhilosopher
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ThePhilosopher »

Brilliant! :o
Where have you bought the screen? I would love to see a guide to do the same thing ! :P
I Would Choose The Matrix
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

I had payed a team a lot to make it work still it costs $300 for the electronics and LCD. I'll share inside pictures too.
Just a clue 2k HD 1440p screen is on the way (my team is working on it)

Kind regards,
Voklan
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

Were you able to get the screen to display at 70+hz? Otherwise it's not really worth the upgrade...
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Great comparison shots!
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

It works 60hz but the only FHD slution so for. It's up you :)
I'm playing car sims usually and most. Performance is perfect at 60hz...
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

Libertine I've another comparison photo for you :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

How are you accommodating for the incorrect distortion and convergence?

EDIT: You should really edit your auction, because you are misleading people.
consumer version FHD Oculus Rift is going to have the same LCD display.
That is not true.
Same rules apply as Oculus Rift. No warranty
Neither is this, we replace defective units all the time.
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

It might just be me but it sounds pretty unethical. Its like making money off someone else's work. I mean even if it did work correctly you are trying to sell a "consumer kit". Oculus is putting all the work into software/research. I don't really have a problem with anyone who is modifying there rift/provideing instructions. When it goes from hobby -> profiteering is too far. Bringing cash into it just doesn't feel right.
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

Hi Palmer,

I'm using closer IPD custom printed cups (working on a sliding Phisical IPD adjuster also) with oculus lenses installed on them. Plus I've found a sweet spot with another + lens attached under it. I've worked too much for this and I belive that I've managed to do it properly or as close as it could be. I've not calculated or measured anything but I can say that there is no borders and you feel on the wright place in a car (I usually play Live for Speed) Its only the closest cups that works good with the lens upgrate. Due to second lens. LCD should comme a little closer now. I'm working on a second version. It requires more job than this kit (you should cut the middle seperator, but I'll do a metal tamplate that goes over it and you cut from there. Using it as a ruller. LCD is closer that way now. Level of the google shape when looked inside is my new spot. I'll do tests with all cups and share soon. I'm also working if we can offer different number second lenses for the ones who uses + number, -numbers or even for astigmatism. glases. If you cut out the outer of sides of the rift like I did In my second version. I'll print a front cover that covers and holds LCD ect... it will be small like the ones we see as HD devkit. I'm also working on a regular "7 front cover that doesn't need any drilling ect... This is for the ones that always want to keep the first original DK1. (I'm keeping mine also)

Sorry for the warranity. I didn't look for it but I remember as the dev kit doesn't have it. I'll remove it. Realy sorry my three kits worked fine I had never need and read carrefully for warranity. Truely that was what I know.
I'm sorry for second mistake also:( My bad English. I'm changing it. I was trying to mean that Full HD oculus rift is a prototype so nobody nows what is it gonna be but it should have the same LCD.
As I learn from you it's not. But I'm expecting it to be another brand "5.5 or a 5" there shouldn't be more differance than a 50 ppi with the "5.5 LG. Would you give a clue is there any information on that or should we wait to know?

eqzitara1,

I appreciate your view but would you like to know more of my view? I was just borred the dev kit and spent a lot to have a 1080p upgrate on the dev kit. Other than older spents. When I order 30 sets the electronics and LCD costs for $350 including customs and shipments. Factory is earning not me. Ebay and Paypal cuts $50. So it's too expensive for now. I'm trying to produce the boards in my country this would drop prices. I start auctions from $450 I can say that it is the costs of it. I'm not planing to be rich from hacking Oculus. This is just a solution that I found for a 1080p rift. It's too expensive but only one as I know. (except rozsnyo. He is about to do one or had done) If Oculus had announced such a kit I wouldn't even touch a thing. Maybe there should be offical upgrates between versions. So impatiant gamers like me gets the upgrate first and see whats comming. The new version commes with additional features so we buy it too :) I just bored and develeoped it as much as I could. I'm working on a adjustable phisical IPD adjuster also. I'll put the pictures when ready. I belived that Devkit needs a solution for this. So not just easy money you will see that I'm producing new gadgets and VR equipments in the future too. Just want to be in VR. Electronics is not my job like rozsnyo. I'm following rozsnyo with excitement. I just read he had done a very good board. He is planing to use it in a diffrent way. I'm waiting to see. Also I had contacted with him to see if we could do help to each other...

I love doing new things and solving problems. I just did such a kit nothing is wrong from my side. What do you think Palmer am I doing a wrong thing? I'm not racing with you or I don't want to mean that it equals to any Oculus Rift. I bought three dev kits and I'm also waiting to get the HD Devkit. I love VR I'm thinking on it and I want to do what ever I can do and add new things to VR. You will hear about my very own projects soon. I'm working on them. If Palmer or others wants to hear about and combine powers on good projects. Thats what I want. Maybe he wants to hear about my other projects on VR. So I don't want to be known as the hacker I'm just shareing my upgrate. I'm working to have a 1440p boarrd also but there is couple of months for it. Keep in mind that these are never gonna be consumer versions or equivalent unless Oculus does it. It's just a clue of HD view for now. It has low sides but the HD view. When I start playing I can play for hours.

Kind regards,
Volkan Türksoy
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

Palmer,

I took out the warranity and same LCD section completly. I just say "This is the first Full HD upgrate avaliable..."
I just added this too.
THIS IS NOT THE OFFICAL UPGRATE NOR THE CONSUMER VERSION

Are you ok whit this?

Kind regards,
Volkan Turksoy
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

Vturksoy wrote:It works 60hz but the only FHD slution so for. It's up you :)
I'm playing car sims usually and most. Performance is perfect at 60hz...
Eh, so you couldn't overclock the panels huh.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Hi Volkan,

I hope you do try to make the electronics yourself. We need as many sources of mipi
boards as possible. I am sure the market need is there. Oculus has got some competition
coming.

Could you please present same details and proof that you actually did this. Please photo
a screen output on the mounted panel. Did you use a mipi chip or a fpga mipi IP?

Did you just cut the lvds wires off the connected cable? You should have removed the
connected cable so you can use the rift's screen for other purposes. For example, make
a box with an included face for close up pc screen like you use a tablet.
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

I don't know a lot about electronics. I can't build boards. So I pay manufacturers to make boards for me. My board commes direct from a foctory.
I'm searching factories in my country. trying to find a one which could do such a board for a more cheaper.
What do you mean by screen output?
I don't know about components of my board but I know It drives 1980*1200 max. It's 60hz thats all I know. HDMI and DVI connection. 12V 3A power suply.
If you mean the board. I didn' do it. I payed a team to do a working board for my need "5.5 LG
I had solved some optical problems and I've briliant mounting idea.
I'm uploading a youtube video which shows installation. I'll post the link when it's done. So you can see what and how I do this..
I don't cut any wires just remove the cable. It can be swiched back in 5-10 minutes. I'm uploading an istallation video now. You can see more details. Should I still proof that I did this?
Kind regards,
Volkan
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

I meant by screen output a picture of the panel working. Put this photo up quick to avoid doubters who think this could simply be a photo cut and paste scam.
Last edited by cgp44 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Post by FR3D »

@Vturksoy,

I'm very interested to buy one.
The consumer version / developer kit2 of the oculus rift is far away - i think.

How to adjust hl2 to change the resolution for this panel ?
How to change the resolution in tridef / vorpx / vireio ?

best regards FR3D
best regards FR3D
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

Hi FR3D,

Thanks for your interest. I'll look res for HL2
I'm sharing both screen side by side.

I can't tell what to do res based on game engine. But There should be a way. It's hard to find a unworking game.
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

Hello,
This is the isntallation video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faNB5eH ... e=youtu.be
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I just watched the video.

Nice that you can do it in 10 minutes but honestly I would be afraid to attempt this mod myself.
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

Hi cybereality,
I'm updating my kit. Next version has a front cover you will remove old install new. I'm planing it to be a pice of cake. Next week it should be ready.
RaNk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RaNk »

Very nice. I'm intrigued.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

bad timing - I would be so tempted, but now that I am no longer able to order a replacement unit I just can't even consider risking it.

Otherwise I love what you have done there - not entirely convinced it will work with every IPD setting (especially bigger IPDs), but I would love to try yours :)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

Hi,

Geral no it's a good timing :) let me tell you how...
Today I had achived a new goal I made a adjustable phisical IPD adjuster. It's a gem and works perfect. I'VE THE VERY FIRST WORKING PROTOTAYPE (after I had 10 fails and four model changes.) I'll share pitures FIRIDAY.

And MY v1.1 and v2.0 1080P KITS ARE SHOULD BE READY MONDAY. However I'll share a couple of clue pics soon.

I'm giving a clue of whats comming. Don't forget that I'm the first one who did 1080P upgrate. And my briliant spacer idea and probably my optical solution has beed copyed. I wonder who is Daniel. I'm realy afraiding if he is the rozsnyo becouse we had emailed each other his email is also Daniel. I hope him to be a different man and I'll apologize from him just becouse I could think that he is the one. But if he is the one. I've things to say and I don't realy want to.

Wait to decide which one is better. Don't forget you can buy DK1 from ebay anytime. Also you can switch back any time.

Kind regards,
Volkan
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I do not have an unlimited budget and eBay is not a price stable platform to rely on - but anyhow, waiting to see what Oculus will show at GDC anyway before considering paying that much money just for the screen (of course this is VERY tempting ;) ).
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I haven't really followed these threads closely and just started glancing through today. I share Palmer's concern about the optical correction. For custom built apps it would be trivial to override resolution, lens separation, distortion, and chroma for a customized display such as this. But pre-existing apps built with the SDK will use whatever parameters are encoded in the SDK/firmware. There is a code path in SDK 0.2.x that unofficially supports a prototype 1080 display that I suspect several people are hacking into, but unless your panel matches these specs very closely then optical correction could give bad results. I support community modding but I think modders should still be aware of these issues. Additionally, (as I've commented in other places) I think physical lens interaxial adjustment is generally a scary mod because it forces the user's eyes into convergence or divergence for long periods of time which has undetermined effects.

Otherwise...I think you've done a nice job and I love the enthusiasm of the modding community.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

brantlew wrote: I think physical lens interaxial adjustment is generally a scary mod because it forces the user's eyes into convergence or divergence for long periods of time which has undetermined effects.
okay I have no practical experience, so my thought process might be totally off ... but if you use a smaller display like a 6" display, then your real IPD won't match the Oculus IPD settings - but can't you just use a bigger IPD setting to compensate for the smaller display? Since we have the tools to get the IPD in the first place, won't these tools still give us the desired setting (even though it no longer will match our RL IPD setting)?
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

There is much confusion about this. Here's an explanation I gave on the Oculus forums in response to another interaxial mod.
Just beware.

Moving the lenses has the consequence of moving the lens center away from the stereo projection center. Normally when you look straight through the lens you are looking at the middle pixel in the 3D scene. That's true even if you aren't looking through the center of the lens - such as when your IPD does not match the lens separation. Because the light is collimated, the "center pixel" (which happens to also be the stereo projection center) will follow your eye around as long as you are looking straight. You may be looking through a little right or left of lens center, but you are still staring at the center pixel - and thus the stereo images will converge easily. The side of the lenses may be more blurry and warpy but they transmit that center pixel straight through.

However, once you move the lenses a different "center pixel" will follow your eye around - one that is not the stereo projection center. So in order to stereo converge, you will be forced to converge or diverge your eyes away from parallel to focus back at the real stereo center. You will probably be able to do this, but it could lead to strain and discomfort over long periods of time and the more extreme the offset the more straining it will be.

If you have an old Oculus SDK 1.0 laying around (no longer on the website) you can test just how uncomfortable this can get. In the original release we mistakenly adjusted the center of projection to match the user IPD. In the old Tuscany you could adjust the IPD and projection center far enough until you could no longer stereo converge.
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... 753#p92738

The short version is that the lens centers needs to line up with the rendering projection centers, and the Config Util IPD adjuster does not actually change the rendering projection center.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

brantlew wrote: The short version is that the lens centers needs to line up with the rendering projection centers, and the Config Util IPD adjuster does not actually change the rendering projection center.
So you really need to realign the lenses with the screen, I was not aware of this but makes perfect sense. Thank you - this really made me understand the whole IPD adjustment much better, I was always expecting the center to shift for each eye (and not just the projection center).
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

This is all kinda arbitrary now with the release of the DK2 for $350.

https://www.oculusvr.com/order/
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

V8Griff wrote:This is all kinda arbitrary now with the release of the DK2 for $350.

Ha ha! Yes, I have had to exercise great restraint not to mention that several times. But yes, 1080 modding is semi-irrelevant now although I think the experience gained by putting together a headset is immeasurable.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

brantlew wrote:
V8Griff wrote:This is all kinda arbitrary now with the release of the DK2 for $350.

Ha ha! Yes, I have had to exercise great restraint not to mention that several times. But yes, 1080 modding is semi-irrelevant now although I think the experience gained by putting together a headset is immeasurable.
I thought that you must have been bursting when I came on here to post..... :lol:

Like you say no experience is lost but I really don't see the point in pulling apart a DK1 to install a $300+ dollar hack now.
stryker7314
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stryker7314 »

Can you source DK2 OLED display?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

really sorry for you Vturksoy :? ... no one will get one of your screens now I guess and even your 1440p upgrade is too big for DK2.

Still - you live, you learn and as brantlew said, it is an immeasurable experience. hope this won't stop you from toying with the Rifts and finding interesting ways to mod them!
Vturksoy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vturksoy »

Life goes on...
Game on...
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Looking forward to your 4k OLED screen upgrade kit for CV1 ;)
ripcurl123
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ripcurl123 »

Rift up all the way...............

Return to “Oculus VR”