Skyrim and Vireio

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Re: Skyrim and Vireio

Post by FR3D »

eqzitara1 wrote:Nvidia gave a way through NVAPI for developers to fix shaders that do not work well on its 3d vision engine. Helix made a wrapper that uses this and allows him to make corrections. This reason that no fixes he makes is compatible with tridef/iz3d/etc.

Skybox might be possible to correct without NVAPI but thats like the only thing I know of.

It "may" be possible by taking values of depth and convergence and correcting that way but thats beyond me. Games with its own renderer do that often.
Maybe there is a way to modify the nvidia drivers, that they will be compatible to the rift ...

best regards

FR3D
best regards FR3D
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

Teeks419 wrote:Good to hear some of the fixes worked. Yea the framerate with vireio is really weird. Sometimes I have to set it high and sometimes low. Sometimes it splits the framerate and sometimes I'm just not sure.

Not sure about the water though. Perhaps messing with the water reflections in the options in the launcher?

It seems like the biggest problem with skyrim must be that we have to turn off shadows. It's a bummer especially when you get some really great moody, shadowy areas from great lighting mods. Hope someone can find a fix for this one day.

Strange with the arms because mine seem to really shrink and get stretched out when I change the fov. Then again I can't see what your seeing in the rift so I can't tell what's to big or not.
Yeah I have turned off ALL shadows, there just isn't a way to get them working properly.

As for the water refraction problem, it isn't actually a problem with reflections, it is the refraction (the bending and warping of the river bed underneath the water surface) that appears at the incorrect depth in 3D. Apparently there was a mod that fixed these shaders for 3DVision users in the past, but everyone else has to currently make do with a replacement mesh mod that simply makes all water completely opaque (ie. solid so there is no transparency at the edge of the rivers where the water is shallow). This works but obviously it looks rubbish and is far from ideal.

So basically there is currently no way to get proper water with transparency to work in Vireio, which is a shame.

As for the large arms. I have no idea how to fix this, it looks so bizarre when you have your weapon drawn and are blocking, when stood near to any other objects, your arms appear to be the size of a house. Really hard to explain, once you get your Rift it will be obvious though!

Still, even with all these issues, I am enjoying just wandering about exploring Skyrim.
Tankshell
Software Developer & Founder of Handheld Pixels
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

Ah, that's too bad with the water and giant arms. I guess there are only certain things I'm able to notice without the actually using the rift.

Btw, how is the vertical FOV? It looks like vireio has much less vertical fov then other games and demos I've seen. Maybe it's just another thing I need to have a rift too be able to compare.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

Tankshell wrote:...
As for the large arms. I have no idea how to fix this, it looks so bizarre when you have your weapon drawn and are blocking, when stood near to any other objects, your arms appear to be the size of a house. Really hard to explain, once you get your Rift it will be obvious though!

Still, even with all these issues, I am enjoying just wandering about exploring Skyrim.
edit 2: I've tried changing it in both Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini, and it does nothing. Oh well.

original text: The command to change arm size is apparently fNearDistance. The default is 10, and the smaller the number, the smaller the arms.

edit: not a console command, it looks like.
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

jf031 wrote:
Tankshell wrote:...

original text: The command to change arm size is apparently fNearDistance. The default is 10, and the smaller the number, the smaller the arms.

edit: not a console command, it looks like.

edit 2: I've tried changing it in both Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini, and it does nothing. Oh well.
I just tried this, it didn't make the arms appear any smaller, but if definitely did something strange to the fov/warping of objects when you approach them. Looked really weird so I have turned it off again!
Tankshell
Software Developer & Founder of Handheld Pixels
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
Burnt_Face_Man
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Burnt_Face_Man »

Ok... for me the 3D is totally broken.

At first i thought, left and right eye were swapped. They maybe even were, but even after changing the pictures by pressing F6, it still looked totally wrong.

I couldn't fix it by using F2-F5. :woot :(

What is the solution?
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Need some help here guys. When I load Skyrim with perception, the menu's are ok but as soon as i get to in game view each screen is just flat edged grey clippings blocking the view completely. Any ideas?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Forge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Forge »

Just thought I'd share this one with you. After a few days of messing around in Skyrim trying to switch off all the shadows with no success. I finally cracked it, I opened the nvidia control panel and switched off ambient occlusion for the Skyrim profile. That then removed the annoying dark patches that were appearing under objects in just one eye.

I've also been using the Skyrim mod "The Joy of Perspective" which is pretty cool. It gives your character an actual body, so you don't feel like you're floating around with two arms stuck to your chin. Its a freaky experience looking down at your body in the game and definitely adds to the immersion. The down side is that it's really difficult to see what you're holding in your hand. Every time I turn my head to look, the body turns with me, so my hands are out of shot. It would be great if that was fixed.
Composer for hire. Film TV and Games:
http://www.heskethmedia.com
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mickman »

Hi, just finished reading through the thread & have installed SkyRim + Vireio drivers.
Awesome work sorting out some of the SkyRim V.R issues.

I've since followed along and updated my Skyrim folder & am running into a few problems

upon starting Skyrim I get the message " SSAO disabled " ... what is this ?
I no longer have head tracking or the O.R split screens.

I've just tried changing values in the Skyrim.ini file & added the following files to the folder that contains my Skyrim.exe file.

changed file name to a3d9Vieriel.dll & added the a3d9.dll from the enbseries download file. )
hijacdll.dll
libfreespace.dll

If I remove the above files it goes back to normal.. I have full head tracking & can play SkyRim in V.R. again

I'll keep plugging away... maybe I missed a file in the setup ???
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
rathb18

Post by rathb18 »

Ardhal wrote: 7. Download this specific ENB here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11318
Hey does anyone have this ENB that they can upload since they have removed it from Nexus and I can't find it anywhere else?
kalhohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalhohan »

Well I tried for my part, the chain :
Skyrim + RealEnb (v168 enbseries) + Vireio (beta proxy version)
the the proxylib = Vireio on enbseries.ini

It first, it seems that everything was working (shadows good, headtrack ok, water and sky ok ), but after a deeper look :
Convergence was not working
Seperation was ok, but if there is no convergence, then we only see 2 paralax plan.
F2, F3, etc, are not working

did someone manage to get convergence working with enb?
dariusu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dariusu »

No rift yet (tracking says it will arrive Tuesday), but trying to get Skyrim running with Vireio in anticipation. I have 2 AMD 7970's in Xfire, using Xfire (or not) doesn't seem to have much effect on the display.

Shadows outdoors shifted significantly outdoors before bDrawLandShadows, bFloatPointRenderTarget, and bDeferredShadows were changed, after which they seemed to work well (could not test roll of course). Before and after these setting were changed though, indoor shadows did not match on both "eyes". It actually didn't seem like some light sources were rendered in both eyes.

For instance, a campfire in a cave cast a correct shadow on, and illuminated, the ground on the right eye, but not the left. On my follower (Lydia) though, the same campfire seemed to illuminate her on the left eye but not the right. Outside there was a similar problem.

Water looked ok, though there was a slight shimmering in some areas of a water surface in both eyes.
jpkrautw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jpkrautw »

I just received my Rift today, and one thing I've noticed that is common across all games on Vireio is that the screen edges are clearly visible and that the FOV is quite limited compared to the Rift-native demos. I am not talking about the game's FOV - I am well aware about the adjustment needed for most games - I am talking about the size of the final rendered image. I'm using the A lenses adjusted as close to the screen as possible, so I'm guess the developer is using a different configuration and didn't notice that he was cutting off the FOV by a good margin. Has anyone noticed the same? Any solutions?
3D_Ken
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3D_Ken »

If anyone is crashing within a few seconds of loading the game-- try setting ForceFakeVideocard=true in your enbseries.ini

That worked for me!
Valhalla1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Valhalla1 »

jpkrautw wrote:I just received my Rift today, and one thing I've noticed that is common across all games on Vireio is that the screen edges are clearly visible and that the FOV is quite limited compared to the Rift-native demos. I am not talking about the game's FOV - I am well aware about the adjustment needed for most games - I am talking about the size of the final rendered image. I'm using the A lenses adjusted as close to the screen as possible, so I'm guess the developer is using a different configuration and didn't notice that he was cutting off the FOV by a good margin. Has anyone noticed the same? Any solutions?

I also see the screen edges, and skyrim is incredibly/unusably blurry with the Rift for some reason, but native rift tech demos are not blurry nor are the screen edges visible
reyanth
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by reyanth »

The problem Im facing.

I went thru these steps: http://riftmod.com/how-to-skyrim-and-oc ... fixed-hud/
The Rift works all fine, the only real problem really being that when ever I look further away the images get separated.
Anything that is close enough that you could touch it ingame looks great and sharp, but after few meters all gets unfocused.

Is there a way to tune up this?

Could it be the lenses on Rift?
(Im using 'B' ones, seems to fit the best for me. War Thunder for example works all fine)
Also tried to find a fix for this from here but, didn't bump into one.

Nevermind.. "F2 / F3 : Adjust Separation." - I really must be blind. :geek:
Rire
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rire »

Ok, quick thing. I don't believe this was mentioned anywhere on this thread, and if it was - sorry!
So I was in the starting sequence with Ulfric and such, down in the keep. I had been getting this sense of something being off, and I finally figured out what it was down there. When there is dust or smoke or anything, if I turn my head the objects in front of the smoke leave afterimages for a split second. I tested it with Ulfric, and sure enough, whenever I turned, there was a Ulfric-shaped hole in the shadows for a very brief moment. I think it was only on one eye, too, though I can't say which.
For whatever reason, it is incredibly sickening to me. Is there some setting that I need to disable? I've killed all the shadows in the SkyrimPrefs file but haven't changed anything besides that.
Thanks!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Rire wrote:Ok, quick thing. I don't believe this was mentioned anywhere on this thread, and if it was - sorry!
So I was in the starting sequence with Ulfric and such, down in the keep. I had been getting this sense of something being off, and I finally figured out what it was down there. When there is dust or smoke or anything, if I turn my head the objects in front of the smoke leave afterimages for a split second. I tested it with Ulfric, and sure enough, whenever I turned, there was a Ulfric-shaped hole in the shadows for a very brief moment. I think it was only on one eye, too, though I can't say which.
For whatever reason, it is incredibly sickening to me. Is there some setting that I need to disable? I've killed all the shadows in the SkyrimPrefs file but haven't changed anything besides that.
Thanks!
This is a known bug we are working to fix.

I think I should sort these threads so they are attached to Vireio 1.0 versus 2.0 because it is going to get confusing for people.

Regards,
Neil
Rire
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rire »

Neil wrote:This is a known bug we are working to fix.

I think I should sort these threads so they are attached to Vireio 1.0 versus 2.0 because it is going to get confusing for people.

Regards,
Neil
Wow, that was a fast reply! Thanks! I guess I'll just wait on Skyrim until that's fixed, then.
karurosu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by karurosu »

Hi,
I've been playing with skyrim and vireio for a while. So far, I have seen a poor framerate using the rift. The image jumps a lot when moving the camera. This does not happen without the rift. I have already tried lowering the resolution to 1280x800, but so far with little success. I have a GTX660 and a core i7, and I've been able to play at 1920x1200 without any issues.

I also enabled the 3d vision driver in the nvidia control panel and have a mirrored setup with the rift as clone source.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

karurosu wrote:Hi,
I've been playing with skyrim and vireio for a while. So far, I have seen a poor framerate using the rift. The image jumps a lot when moving the camera. This does not happen without the rift. I have already tried lowering the resolution to 1280x800, but so far with little success. I have a GTX660 and a core i7, and I've been able to play at 1920x1200 without any issues.

I also enabled the 3d vision driver in the nvidia control panel and have a mirrored setup with the rift as clone source.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
You will take a hit on performance by showing in the Rift and this is quite graphics card intensive. The 660 is not the most powerful of graphics cards.

I would personally suggest lowering settings to a minimum and testing just to be sure there is not something else going on.

If this runs smoothly then you can start to increase detail until you reach a happy medium. Be especially careful with MSAA / Sampling etc. These are card heavy features.

Also consider the mods you are using. High definition texture packs are great but don;t make a huge difference when shown at the rift resolution.
Neil

Post by Neil »

karurosu wrote:Hi,

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Are you trying to enter Vireio's menu system? Be careful to NOT hit CTRL-T because that activates Nvidia's work - and that would throw a wrench in the machinery for sure. Use L-SHIFT + NumPad * instead.

Make sure both displays are configured at 1280X800X60Hz and in clone mode.

Have you returned Skyrim to a "vanilla" state? If running on Steam, go into local files and run a cache integrity check. That has been helpful for others too.

Do you have any other software running that could be conflicting with the drivers?

Regards,
Neil
AleksanderDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AleksanderDev »

There is one big problem.
The most popular enb's now uses the daisy chained d3d9.dll file for sweetFX.
[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=true
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=Sweetfx_d3d9.dll

is there a way to get skyrim to work without the d3d9 file, or to daisy chain a third dll file?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Not that I know of. Officially speaking, Vireio does not work with ENBs, and we advise against their use with Vireio 2.X.

Regards,
Neil
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

AleksanderDev wrote:There is one big problem.
The most popular enb's now uses the daisy chained d3d9.dll file for sweetFX.
[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=true
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=Sweetfx_d3d9.dll

is there a way to get skyrim to work without the d3d9 file, or to daisy chain a third dll file?
Actually a previous version of Vireio allowed a proxy dll. A lot has changed in the code since then however so would have to look at retesting / re-adding. With the Skyrim stuff there are a few outstanding issues we have to work through. Key amongst these is the issue that many mods cause memory changes that stop our VR boost system working. Hopefully if we can iron these out it will mean more support for modified Skyrim installs.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”