x-IMU and vireio

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
damian3k
One Eyed Hopeful

x-IMU and vireio

Post by damian3k »

Hello.
Has anybody tried to track rotation in vireio using x-IMU from : http://www.x-io.co.uk/products/x-imu/, mayby with freepie ors something...
Is it possible?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: x-IMU and vireio

Post by cybereality »

It does not support it right now, but I imagine it would be pretty easy to add support.

I'd expect someone familiar with the code could spend a weekend on it and get it working good.
EisernSchild
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by EisernSchild »

This is possible, for sure ! Do you have a device ? After the release of V2.0.0 on 28.11. we may find time to add additional classes. Since i do not have a device i would need a tester having one, of course.

BTW.. i also now can say that at the release of the driver it will support another new device....I'm very curious about it ;-)
damian3k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by damian3k »

Yes i have one. We use it to record some data.
It has sdk, and quite good documentation. But im not the best programmer ;)
Is there any way to simulate that its a hilcrestlab IMU, by freepie or sth? I know it could increase latency...

Theres one open source, mouse simulation app , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbhqtMaiN40 but it doesn't work in games :( maybe some classes and code could be used to add vireio compatibility.
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Ok... we will add this by time. But please note that this cannot be done before the driver is released since we have tons of work. (Release is on 28.11.2013)

Regards, Denis
damian3k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by damian3k »

I understand, there's no rush. I'm glad that you even think about adding it :) Thanks!

BTW: this mouse app that i submited link to in last post- works good in realy low sensitivity set in game, but only in 2 axies, there's no Roll, Pan & tilt. Works like normal mouse (and it has a gimbal lock issue) .
damian3k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by damian3k »

I'm bumping this topic, since you already had a big realese! Great job!
Now i will need x-imu support even more. Is it possible to add x-Imu support in the near future? Can i help you with this, some way?
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

damian3k wrote:I'm bumping this topic, since you already had a big realese! Great job!
Now i will need x-imu support even more. Is it possible to add x-Imu support in the near future? Can i help you with this, some way?
Hi damian3k !

I already wrote a PM at your address with my private email address a month ago. Please check your Inbox.

Regards, Denis
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Does FreePIE support x-IMU? If so you can achieve support already by using the virieoSMT.dll and the SharedMemoryTracker option.

However, one caveat, there is a bug that means the values aren't being passed to VR Boost. You will therefore have to switch mouse emulation to true in the overall setting menu for this to work.

We are hoping to fix this issue soon for full vr boost support.

let me know if you need any help getting this set up.
damian3k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by damian3k »

I do need some help. I don't even know where to start. Do i need to download the newest official release of vireio, or some unofficial build?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Update: Had to rar the dll as the forum wouldn't allow it. Make sure you unrar to the correct folder.
damian3k wrote:
I do need some help. I don't even know where to start. Do I need to download the newest official release of vireio, or some unofficial build?
Grab the latest Perception (2.0.0.2 I think released tail end of last year). There will be a new release soon but this will work in the meantime.

1) Download Latest Freepie
2) Download the attached DLL and put that in the FreePie/plugins directory
3) You'll need some code for freepie to link up to the two. Try something like this:

Code: Select all

def update():
	#a value of 0 it straight ahead/no roll
	# no data is sent to Vireio Perception untill .sendData is called
	vireioSMT.yaw = ahrsImu.yaw
	vireioSMT.pitch = ahrsImu.pitch
	vireioSMT.roll = ahrsImu.roll
if starting:
	ahrsImu.update += update
Its python but quite a simple language. I haven't used IMU so you'll need to make sure that is working. You can use

Code: Select all

Diagnostics.watch(ahrsImu.yaw)
or similar to debug.
Run the code in FreePIE with x-IMU attached. Makes sure no errors etc.
4) Start Perception (administrator mode) and Select SharedMemoryTracker as the tracking option.
5) Run the game
6) Open the brassa menu (CTRL + Q)
7) Scroll down to Overall Settings
8) Switch on emulated mouse.

If you have done everything above correctly it should now be linked up and should respond to your x-IMU input. Once we have a release with the VR Boost fix you won't need to do steps 6-8 and you will get better latency / controller support etc.

I have tested and confirm this works by using a YEI sensor. Good Luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
damian3k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by damian3k »

Thank you very much!
I will test it out asap, and write about it here.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”