Video cameras researched for 3D action usage

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Basicam
One Eyed Hopeful

Video cameras researched for 3D action usage

Post by Basicam »

Hi 3D videography experimenters, I have been busy looking for new tools, and I thought I'd share the results of my searching for head mountable twin camera setups.
But first, a message to manufacturers, incase they notice.

Now is the time for small action camera manufacturers to facilitate true genlock, or at least Lanc, or simultaneous pause off shutter sync, on linked new small cameras, considering 3D is here, and holographic with multi-camera setups is nearly here, and everything now is digital running off internal
master oscillator clocks, which really need to be synchronised to eachother for smoothest operation. A simple 'first pixel of frame' pulse communicated to the slave cameras would probably do, through an accessory multi-connection box and some coax, with standard plugs/sockets; KISS.
Make it and we will come. (Not literally.)
Also: longer operation batts, ease of batt removal/recharging, big buttons, sturdy plug jacks, multiple mounting points, optically clear lens covers - or threads for filters, and access to everything when mounted side by side. Or even LH & RH cased camera pairs on a small adjustable base, & with a 3D sync processor link between them, hey ???

I reckon my best choice for now is the JVC GC-XA2, thinking it will do me fine, after much & ongoing research. Reasons: lightweight, small, multi mount points, 720p 120 fps, a view screen, removeable batteries, water/shower knock proof already, narrow for close side by side 3D usage (no flip out), not tall, rear access to batt, chip, etc., fixed focus - less to check, minimalist & functional, and pretty good reviews of the XA1. Few angry customer complaints noticed, unlike GoPro.

In my research I visited many forums, reviews, & press release sites, went to shops and looked and held a few in hands, & talked to sometimes knowledgable salespeople (usually not).
Some cameras I looked at:
With real genlock, prosumer cameras from ~$6,000.00 to the sky $$$$$$, all bulky, heavy, not good in a backpack. Canon XL, XF, XH series; Panasonic HVX, HPX series; Sony XD Cam; JVC GY series good with acc. ; and others, all way too expensive and large to be practical for body/head mounted action.
Bits would break in minutes.

Other more modest cameras I checked out for 3D use: and my personal CON's
VIO POV HD, all good for me, but no high speed fps for good sync, or local service;
JVC Everio VX775b - a flip out;
Sony Exmore hdr-as10 - 15 - micro SD cards, no viewer, short batt life;
Aiptek HD - bulky flip out;
SVP t500 - t100 - bulky;
Creative Vado HD; 3DinLife; Kodak ZX1; Flip Mino Ultra HD; Zi6; Sony Webbie HD; 2 Wide, thin, tall front faced cameras on a helmet looks nuts.
Minoru 3D webcam, - to disassemble to 75 mm apart, remove the anaglyphic filters, separate the video streams, & backpack a laptop.
And a thought, a cheap S/H 3D camcorder, remove & helmet mount the lens, with a 1 yard umbilical to the recorder in a backpack, and then get it re-tuned.
The new Sony 3D two lens handy-cam looks very good; and a few other 2 lens cameras are out there. If only I had money to burn !!! Something else interesting, the Geonaute 360, imagine 2 of these for 3D spherical imaging.

If anyone's got anything to add in the search for 3D friendly video cameras, please post a reply. I'm sure some fanatic wants to defend their favourite toy I've slighted, or share their 3D cam secrets, successes, and failures.
C'MON 3D' ERS, what's new, and what's to avoid ??
Basicam
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Video cameras researched for 3D action usage

Post by Basicam »

Brief 3Dvid update:
I went to a camera shop and handled the JVC GC-XA1, (the old model): very light weight, can easily head mount two side by side - no probs with interocular distance (~50mm +), or weight. Just screen access when close together seems the only problem so far, and changing batteries every hour or so. I'm pretty much sold on using two JVC GC-XA2's, come on 720p120, but they're not released in Australia until next year, and only just released in America. I think I will need an honest buyer in the US to procure and airmail them to me early, if possible; I'll just have to 12 V ==> USB recharge them until the AC 240 V chargers hit here. Eh - Minor inconvenience.
And also, I think a threaded ring could easily be glued around the lens, to accept protective standard photographic filter lenses. 'S all for now.
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BOLL »

I have wanted to match up two GoPro HD Hero 3 Blacks (sheesh too long name) in the 1440p48 mode, pushes an incredible amount of pixels, buuuut... as hinted at, they really screwed up with the unstable firmware. Not even sure they have all glitches out by now, and as they might announce something new in October I'm holding off. Meanwhile I have had in my sight to use my current 2x GoPro HD Hero (1) cameras to record wide angle in stereo, but life has been too chaotic and will be for some months further -_- (looking for a place to live)
Skaven252
Cross Eyed!

Post by Skaven252 »

I'm a bit curious about the Panasonic HX-A100 camera as it's a new generation 'tethered bullet' camera. But I have my doubts about its mountability. No viewfinder.

You might also want to check out the Dogcam Bullet HD2. It's tiny (self contained) and really rugged. No viewfinder though. And it uses MicroSD cards.

Braun Sixzero: good side by side mountability, has a viewfinder, comes with good mounts. Similar form factor to the Sony HDR-AS15 but has a tripod screw on the body itself and stands on its own on a flat surface. But don't be misled by the "Full HD 60fps" - it's 1080i, aka interlaced only. If you want progressive scan it only does 30fps. Also uses MicroSD cards... what's the problem with those anyway?
Sony Exmore hdr-as10 - 15 - micro SD cards, no viewer, short batt life;
There's an AKA-LU1 cradle that offers a flip-out LCD viewfinder for on the field reviewing.

I haven't had problems with battery life so far. At least it's way better than the VIO POV.HD which eats through AA batteries like mad.
j1vvy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by j1vvy »

I think that watching Panoramic video on a Heads Mounted Display HMD like the Rift or InfinitEye are the next big thing in viewing immersive content. Oculus has said that the Rift is a seated experience so having a full 360 panoramic view is not necessary. It is possible to look behind you when seated but not for a long time, so 360 coverage is not necessary. InfinitEye offers a much wider FoV experience with 90° of stereo but each eye showing peripheral view that extending to 210° meaning that ideally you want to cover at least 210° with each camera.

http://www.tamaggo.com/en has a camera with a 200° circular FoV. I think video from these cameras would offer a very good experience viewed with HMD. One of these for 2D or two of these recording in stereo, if they can be synced. I think the sample video sample is way too disjointed to show what could be done.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”